Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My Mikey just got neutered and had 4 baby teeth pulled on Friday. I've noticed since then that he has gotten the red tear stains. Before, he had them pretty much down to a minimum...but since the surgery, they are showing up again.
Is this just coincidence? Or has anyone else had this same problem? If so, was it just temporary?
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I havent seen you post before... WELCOME to SM!
:D
The staining... I never had that problem ever with Kodie so i'm not too good at giving advice on that subject... but if I remember correctly I thought tearing was a problem when a pup is going through teething. Are you washing your little ones face and keeping it dry to prevent staining? I know that some people have mentioned something about the tear ducts being clogged (I think thats the term they used). I'm sure someone else will be better help than me...
but i just wanted to say WELCOME! :D

PS- You baby is a cutie!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Kodie@May 23 2005, 09:23 AM
I havent seen you post before... WELCOME to SM!
  :D
The staining... I never had that problem ever with Kodie so i'm not too good at giving advice on that subject... but if I remember correctly I thought tearing was a problem when a pup is going through teething.  Are you washing your little ones face and keeping it dry to prevent staining?  I know that some people have mentioned something about the tear ducts being clogged (I think thats the term they used).  I'm sure someone else will be better help than me... 
  but i just wanted to say WELCOME! :D

PS- You baby is a cutie!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64406
[/QUOTE]
Thank you so much for the welcome!
I don't get the time to post much...not as much as I'd like. I love this forum.
Mikey had some staining when he was teething...it just about disappeared when all his adult teeth came in. He still had some baby teeth though, when they pulled those out it seemed to make the staining come back. I was just wondering if one had something to do with the other...could be just a coincidence.
Your baby is adorable too!!

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
Frosty had that happen after a teeth cleaning. It was because of the bactiria being stirred up. They may have gotten some of the liquid from the cleaning process in his eyes too. Frosty's face looked like they let the stuff run out of his mouth and get his head all wet. That's when I spent 2 months on forums trying to find something that helped and after doing the water, plastic dish, food with dye, etc., etc. and everything on the market to whiten it----7 days of Amoxicillin took care of it. Even when you stop the problem you still may have to either clip some of the worse stained hair or wait for it to grow out. I don't like putting anything strong enough to bleach the hair that close to his eyes.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut had it happen too. After his teeth cleaning his face was soaked, and he also had his puppy teeth removed, so I just figured all that moisture and the pain was causing him to tear more. After his puppy teeth were taken out, his staining has improved so much even though he's missing tear ducts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

His eyes would get "gookies" and tear some before the teethpulling/neutering, but not the red staining he's getting now.
I think what I'll do is keep it dry and if I can't keep the red staining under control, I'll contact my vet to see if he has a bacterial problem.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If all his baby teeth havnt fallen out and have not been pulled out, does this cause any problems? I already got him neutered a month ago.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by jeanette@May 24 2005, 11:47 AM
If all his baby teeth havnt fallen out and have not been pulled out, does this cause any problems? I already got him neutered a month ago.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64793
[/QUOTE]
How old is he? A lot of times you will not see the teeth when they fall out. I only saw 2 of Lexi's. One was because I accidently caused it to fall out and then other was because it was half off and there was blood on her mouth. Most of the time they just swollow the teeth. You can talk to your vet about it.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by jeanette@May 24 2005, 12:47 PM
[/QUOTE]
Add me to the list of people who didn't know about the puppy teeth! I had Peanut neutered at 6 months and not one person in the vets office ever mentioned pulling the puppy teeth to me. I had it done when Peanut was a year old during his dental cleaning (after I learned about the retained puppy teeth from SM
) The only problem with waiting so long was that PEanut was in pain from the extra teeth pushing around in his lil mouth, and that now when he bites down I can hear his teeth scraping together
because the adult teeth are in the wrong places

·
Registered
115 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+May 24 2005, 01:51 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-jeanette
@May 24 2005, 11:47 AM
How old is he? A lot of times you will not see the teeth when they fall out. I only saw 2 of Lexi's. One was because I accidently caused it to fall out and then other was because it was half off and there was blood on her mouth. Most of the time they just swollow the teeth. You can talk to your vet about it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64795
[/B][/QUOTE]

Scrappy is 6 months i have noticed his front baby teeth have fallen out, but how do i know if the back ones have. i guess ill have to check. His adult front teeth have all grown out now. Ill definitly talk to my vet. Thanks

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I forgot to say that it's the canines that usually don't fall out on their own, so when you take a look at Scrappy, check the 4 extra long teeth. Poor Peanut had 8 of those suckers stuck in his mouth. Those rope bone toys are good for helping. I found a couple of Peanut's teeth stuck in the rope bone once.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Puppy teeth are a lot sharper then baby teeth. My old vet told me that if I couldn't tell that I could stop in any time and anyone working in the front office would be able to tell.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by littlepeanut@May 24 2005, 01:09 PM
I forgot to say that it's the canines that usually don't fall out on their own, so when you take a look at Scrappy, check the 4 extra long teeth.  Poor Peanut had 8 of those suckers stuck in his mouth.  Those rope bone toys are good for helping.  I found a couple of Peanut's teeth stuck in the rope bone once.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64814
[/QUOTE]
That's the same problem Mikey had...the canines...he had the 4 baby teeth and the 4 adult ones in his mouth. That's why we got them pulled. You gotta feel bad for the little guys.
But, he is doing great now!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts