Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I am the proud mum of a new baby (though she is six years old). I found her from Pets4Home as she was being fostered by the son and daughter in law of a lady who had passed away last Christmas. She's had a lot of change but I am going to be her forever home. It's only been about three days and she's beginning to settle in. She poos on our walkies in the morning, eats her food after a little experimentation mixing wet/dry food and loves a tiny cooked chicken breast treat.

My only issue right now is just that she doesn't pee in the right place yet. I live in a fourth floor apartment so it's not always feasible for me to take her out to pee and her foster mum did claim she knows how to use puppy pads. I've placed them in my bathroom right next to the wide open door and she told me to soak up some pee from where she has an accident to signal to her that's the right place to pee. She has annoyingly had little accidents everywhere but the puppy pad so I was wondering whether anyone has any tips to help her get used to using the puppy pad in my apartment. (Also on a side note, she seems to use the pad for the wrong purpose to sit on and hang out instead haha, is there anything I can do to discourage this behaviour?)

Thanks in advance and I'm glad to be in this community to learn more about my little baby.

Registered
Thank you for adopting an adult Maltese in need! Even if she was well housebroken in her previous home, she has to learn how to do it in your home. I would put down more pads just initially. When you catch her peeing on a pad, praise her TONS and give her a treat. She will get it--especially if you cover all the spots where she normally pees with pads (and then gradually put down fewer and fewer pads until there is just one). I wouldn't worry about her resting on them. She's probably trying to find her secure spot in the home still.

Reactions: Abella's Mommy

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for adopting an adult Maltese in need! Even if she was well housebroken in her previous home, she has to learn how to do it in your home. I would put down more pads just initially. When you catch her peeing on a pad, praise her TONS and give her a treat. She will get it--especially if you cover all the spots where she normally pees with pads (and then gradually put down fewer and fewer pads until there is just one). I wouldn't worry about her resting on them. She's probably trying to find her secure spot in the home still.
I'm more than happy to have her be my furry baby. Yes I'd assumed she'd need time, she's just quite smart and signals for me to go outside (I have a Juliette balcony so she can see out and looks outside then back at me) but I want her to know to go inside when I'm going to be at work. Whenever I then lead her to her puppy pads in the bathroom, she just stares at me and holds it in. She's got real personality and just trying to work on it. I'm just hoping she doesn't mistake puppy pads for hang out zone hahaha.

Premium Member
The idea that came to my mind after reading your above reply post:
You said she looks outside longingly when she has to pee. Perhaps bring a puppy pad outside when you know she needs to go (put a little of her pee on it as attraction). At first you could even make a small confinement around it so she can't roam far. Have treats in hand and as soon as she squats softly say "good girl" "good girl." When she is done give her a treat and lots of praise/fuss. Once she is used to going on the pad outside I'm thinking she will be more likely to use it indoors too. Just an idea.

Also, make sure you meticulously clean all areas where she has peed in the house. Dogs have amazing smell and will be attracted to go again in areas previously used to pee. She may be thinking your house is her pee pad which is not acceptable. if none of the above ideas work - I'd go back to square one and do crate training allowing her out freely in your home only after she has gone pee (where you want her to go) and only when you can watch her very carefully. Have patience she will get it. Please keep us updated.
馃惗 馃惥馃尰

Reactions: zooeysmom
1 - 4 of 4 Posts