Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D Hello, My name is Giavanna. Hannah is my babygirl who will be one tomorrow. 5/7/04. She is a fabulous addition to our family and we love her very much. We have decided to get her a little sister who is due to join us sometime next week. I have just heard about the puppy mill in Tennesee Hollybelle, and was extremely disturbed by the information coming out of there. Although I haven't received a pup from there, I would like to help those babies anyway I can. This is a very nice website and I am happy that it is available for us whom love our little ones so dearly, and have a place to brag. I do have some questions about the maltese in general as Hannah is our first. Anyone experience spots on the belly that grow dark as she is in heat? also, anyone ever experience a weird snorting sound that they make when they are excited??? Just wondering if she is "normal"
Thanks again for a wonderful place to express.
warmly ,
Giavanna

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i dont know about the spots but the snorting is what some vets call a reverse sneeze. my parker does it after he drinks and when he pulls on the leash. it is caused by weak rings that make up the trachea. common in small breed dogs. it can get worse to where the dog has trouble breathing and some can be corrected w/ medication or surgery. when parker starts up i pinch his nose, and this forces him to breathe out of his mouth and makes it not last as long. but yes your baby is normal in a sense that most small breeds have this problem...also common in the smooshed nosed breeds. but when your baby becomes a senior citizen, it is possible for the trachea to further weaken and cause some probs, but that is not a for sure thing.
hope this info helps

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
opps...forgot to say WELCOME to the forum! :lol:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! You'll find many friendly faces here and hope you will post your furbabies picture, too.

The snorting can be from the trachea problem and it is recommended that you not use a collar because the Maltese trachea is soft and can be collapsed permanently. Use a halter. It has a ring on the back for tags and leash connections and is especially good if you have to suddenly pull your Maltese out of danger or unwelcome situations because it only puts pressure on the torso and not the neck.

Pico also snorts (to my intense humor) when he is excited about being outside and has barked in response to barking he hears or is ticked because some cats had been in his territory. His snort definitely is a nose snort, though and is just hilarious. It will be accompanied by low whuffs and growls making him sound like a terror.

I am so glad you read up on the Hollybelle situation. It's been a few weeks since I checked updates but there was talk about fostering those dogs and pups. Fostering puppymill breeding pairs is waaaay different, I hear, from fostering other types. Those who volunteer for this are angels on earth. I had to settle for sending a monetary donation.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Hi and welcome Giavanna!

My Tiki also snorts. Mostly when he drinks water or is excited. I also use a harness as he coughs when I put him in a regular collar.

I have never heard of the spots when in heat, but wonder if this could be caused by increased blood flow.... like blushing? Just a thought.

Judi

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, Everyone is soo very friendly! What a great place to be. Thank you so much for the posts. :D It's also nice to know that her snorting isn't just her! What a relief. Hannah spots on her tummy were always pink up until 3 days ago when I noticed she is in heat..They are now dark brown like she had been out in the sun. Much like birth marks. Her nose is still pink and she's a year now. So I suppose it will stay that way. I don't mind at all. I just notice most of the maltese I see are black nosed. Also Hannah's halo around the right eye isn't complete. She was extremely expensive although poppa didn't mind, he bought her for me for our wedding.. I just didn't realize all the details about the breed until I received her..Now I can't get enough, almost like an addiction. I am currently awaiting AKC papers to be delivered to breeder in Nebraska where my new baby girl is waiting to come home. I'm very excited about having the two of them together :lol:

·
Registered
939 Posts
OMG what a great little picture, I sure would like to see a bigger one!

On the "black points" If your little one is indoors all the time it could be the lack of sun that keeps her "pink", it could also be genetics. I am sure she is still adorable

Please keep us posted on the status of your new arrival... can't wait to see more pictures :D

Judi

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
hello, welcome to spoiledmaltese

1 - 11 of 11 Posts