Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My name is Diane and we have a 9 year old Maltese named Zoey. We moved to the Orlando area 7 years ago, and have yet to find a groomer who can groom a show style (i.e. long haired) Maltese. Nobody we've found can get the bows in to stay more than a couple of hours. We live in the Altamonte Springs area. Does anyone know of a good groomer who can groom long hair Maltese? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
9,833 Posts
Hi, My name is Diane and we have a 9 year old Maltese named Zoey. We moved to the Orlando area 7 years ago, and have yet to find a groomer who can groom a show style (i.e. long haired) Maltese. Nobody we've found can get the bows in to stay more than a couple of hours. We live in the Altamonte Springs area. Does anyone know of a good groomer who can groom long hair Maltese? Thanks.
Not from Florida, thought we have a few members from central Florida who may chime in. Welcome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Berkshires are definitely beautiful...been many many years since I've been there. Also need a great vet in our area. Hopefully someone will answer soon. Take care and enjoy your baby!

·
Premium Member
Paulann & Abella
1,218 Posts
Welcome to SM Diane and Zoey. I am on the opposite side of the US in California so I can't recommend a groomer in Florida. Here in Calif it is also hard to find a groomer that specializes in long hair show cuts. Most want to give all maltese puppy cuts. I finally ended up grooming Abella myself. The learning curve took awhile but was well worth the effort - and a side benefit is Abellas "Spa Day" is a wonderful bonding experience between us. I don't know if this is even an option for you to consider..... or if you are interested. There are many online maltese grooming videos. I purchased two DVD's that were very helpful. They go into lots of detail. I have attached a picture below for your reference in case you are interested. The second DVD gets into grooming your maltese for a show. However, I found it also had helpful hints & tips that I could use on grooming Abella. Again a BIG SM welcome and please post pictures of Zoey when you get a chance. I'm sure she is adorable.

Perhaps someone from Florida here on SM will still chime in with help/ideas.
🐶 🐾 🌷

IMG_3723.jpg
IMG_3724.jpg

·
Premium Member
Paulann & Abella
1,218 Posts
Oh no!
My above post has received a "Sensitive content" warning.
A maltese being groomed and bathed.....
View at your own discretion.
😳🐶🐾

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Oh no!
My above post has received a "Sensitive content" warning.
A maltese being groomed and bathed.....
View at your own discretion.
😳🐶🐾
So stupid! Censorship is going to keep getting worse under the current administration.

Abella's bath pictures are so adorable!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to SM Diane and Zoey. I am on the opposite side of the US in California so I can't recommend a groomer in Florida. Here in Calif it is also hard to find a groomer that specializes in long hair show cuts. Most want to give all maltese puppy cuts. I finally ended up grooming Abella myself. The learning curve took awhile but was well worth the effort - and a side benefit is Abellas "Spa Day" is a wonderful bonding experience between us. I don't know if this is even an option for you to consider..... or if you are interested. There are many online maltese grooming videos. I purchased two DVD's that were very helpful. They go into lots of detail. I have attached a picture below for your reference in case you are interested. The second DVD gets into grooming your maltese for a show. However, I found it also had helpful hints & tips that I could use on grooming Abella. Again a BIG SM welcome and please post pictures of Zoey when you get a chance. I'm sure she is adorable.

Perhaps someone from Florida here on SM will still chime in with help/ideas.
🐶 🐾 🌷

View attachment 275392 View attachment 275393
So stupid! Censorship is going to keep getting worse under the current administration.

Abella is so beautiful. I can't believe you learned to groom her so perfectly. That is how Zoey used to look in Louisville where we had a fabulous groomer. Yet to find one in our area. Will keep trying.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wow Paulann I didn’t know you groomed her yourself. That is a very good job, looks very professional. I could never maintain that. I have an appointment for Sugarplum to be groomed in a couple of weeks, this will be her first professional grooming, and it’s immediately after a check up at the vets office. I just can’t do her legs and I can’t clip her nails, for some reason she is very guarded of them. Her ears are now the length I want! I promise I will post a pic after her grooming.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Diane I’m not from Florida, but a few weeks ago I saw a YouTube video of a neat hack to get bows to stay, and you can make them yourself with simply a ribbon tied around a strong orthodontic elastic. You hold a pair of curved hemostats and wrap the elastic several times around the closed end. Open the hemostats, holding the open band at the site where you want the bow. Take something thin with a hook at the end, perhaps a crochet hook and pull the hair through the opening, then close the hemostats and remove them. The person says the bows last until the next grooming appointment, but I haven’t tried this yet.

·
Super Moderator
10,244 Posts

please explain your comment. Spoiled Maltese webmasters establish content filters for all of the websites they manage.

·
Premium Member
Paulann & Abella
1,218 Posts
please explain your comment. Spoiled Maltese webmasters establish content filters for all of the websites they manage.
Maggie,
I'm still wondering why my above photo was flagged by SM as:
"Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18"
It was tagged immediately as soon as I posted it.

·
Super Moderator
10,244 Posts
Maggie,
I have no idea. - I see a lot of mis-flagged posts on various social media. Typically, websites like SM use various forms of AI to scan and flag photos and videos. My guess is they mis-read the arms and hands of the groomer as something more nefarious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have no idea. - I see a lot of mis-flagged posts on various social media. Typically, websites like SM use various forms of AI to scan and flag photos and videos. My guess is they mis-read the arms and hands of the groomer as something more nefarious.
Be careful...Big Brother is reading your posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Awww, please let's not add to the division in this country. I am already saddened by it, and this forum has helped me to focus on something we all happily share. I love these fluffy little lifesavers!

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
And.....I am out. I am sick of being silenced, this country is in grave danger because no one can tolerate anyone else's opinion. I have a lot to give as I have for the past 10 years, but I am done. Adios.

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
9,833 Posts
Maggie,
I am not sure, but the forum software is not just used for spoiled maltese, but a wide range of forums. So there may be forums that are more likely to have sensitive content. There is an algorithm buried in the software that makes that determination without human intervention. It was the second pix that triggered the NSFW warning for some reason. I was able to mark that pix as safe.

I have the sensitive warning turned off in my settings, so I did not even see it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts