Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’m new here and looking for information on how to care for my maltese I will be getting June 3. It will be a little boy and his name will be Chase. I’ve had three Yorkies but I understand that Maltese hair is very different and I’m a little stressed about it. I will be keeping mine in a puppy cut. The breeder has been wonderful about advice on everything, But actually caring for the coat myself makes me nervous.

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
There is a whole forum on this site about "Maltese Grooming." You can skim the titles to see what topics and information are there. Or you could do a search for specific words. :)

·
Premium Member
LACIE, SUKI & LING LING ❤️❤️❤️
5,988 Posts
Welcome 💐
How exciting for you! ive never had a yorkie but as long as you brush and comb through the maltese coat at least twice a day, they will mat very little.
Hopefully other SMers who have both breeds will chime in and can offer more advice, than what I can give.
Again, congrats on Chase!

·
Registered
12 Posts
welcome,you will love your new Maltese.They are sweet and want to be with you.I got Moses groomed about three months ago,puppy cut.Since the weather was still cold I kept a size T2 shirt on him,modified.I had always just trimmed him myself,so this was the shortest for him.He has grown his fur back,so in a couple weeks will get another puppy cut.I think for cold weather i will leave his fur a little longer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I’m new here and looking for information on how to care for my maltese I will be getting June 3. It will be a little boy and his name will be Chase. I’ve had three Yorkies but I understand that Maltese hair is very different and I’m a little stressed about it. I will be keeping mine in a puppy cut. The breeder has been wonderful about advice on everything, But actually caring for the coat myself makes me nervous.
I can say that it will take time for the hair to get longer. You will need the best hair combing tools, shampoo and conditioners. I have used the good quality products geared around Maltese dogs and keeping hair Hair Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog
smooth, conditioned, white color and easier to comb out. I have use moderate priced range products but mixed them with more expensive products. Luke has had only the best. At fourteen his hair still looks pretty amazing due to mom's care and regular brushings. For the eyes I use tiny scissors, actually nose clippers and keep the hair cut close to his eyes. I also wipe his eyes daily. There are dog cleaning cloths and specific eye products to help. There are teeth cleaning products. It is tiny mouth so start young so the dog gets used to you doing his teeth. You will need a small brush with the toothpaste. The finger brushes have always been too big. There are also dental wipes to use between brushings. Get your buddy used to regular brushings and teeth cleanings. I liked the smaller bully sticks for him as a puppy. He would work on one for many weeks. Good for his teeth also. I use Charlie and training treats because they are small and lower in calories that other treats. There are many good foods out there. I have done al ot of reading on dogs foods and I have typed a file I can send out. Basically, I have learned you want some grain in a good natural ingredient dog food. No grain is all advertised as the best but you want some grain. I never use a wet food with my maltese because of his beautiful hair. I take a few pieces of meat and a little water and heat for 10 seconds in the microwave to create a little juice and I mix in his dry food... Any other questions my email is [email protected].

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
What specific shampoos and conditioners would you recommend?

I'm having to groom my adopted senior Maltese myself these days because groomers have moved or are too busy. She has a cottony coat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts