Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was blessed with Sophia, an eight year old female Maltese from the American Maltese Rescue Association. The AMRA has been wonderful!

Sophia was part of a hoarder situation, 22 dogs were removed and 2 dogs didn't make it.

Sophia has the typical sweet Maltese disposition. She doesn't have the typical spunk of a Maltese, but once her health improves and given time to adjust I am hopeful she will start wagging her tail and being more active.

Tomorrow she goes in for surgery. She has a mass cell tumor on her hind quarter and needs all of her remaining teeth removed. I am quite nervous, but it has to be done and I believe the vet is good. I feel fortunate to be able to have it done so soon (there was a cancellation.)

I will post an update. Please send good thoughts our way.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Toy dog
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Toy dog

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,030 Posts
She is a curie, good luck tomorrow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is a curie, good luck tomorrow.
Thank you! She is home now and feeling pretty rough. Her incision from the tumor removal makes my knees weak. She had 4 teeth left and I think the vet said she pulled 16 teeth. She also had a mole removed from her tummy. My poor baby. She is on 3 different meds 1 for pain, one is an anti inflammatory and one is an antibiotic. I will be sleeping on the floor next to her bed for the next couple of nights. I wish I could trade her places. We will find out in about 10 days what the tumor was about.

It will be interesting to see what her personality and energy level is like once she heals. All that infection in her mouth must have made her feel pretty bad.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,906 Posts
She is lovely! Congratulations & welcome to SM---we look forward to getting to know both of you. I will be saying a few prayers for her healing & adjustment. Bless you!

Reactions: hjg0989

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She is lovely! Congratulations & welcome to SM---we look forward to getting to know both of you. I will be saying a few prayers for her healing & adjustment. Bless you!
Thank you. We had a very rough night last night, she didn't sleep at all and whimpered quite a bit, it was heartbreaking. We were able to give her a dose of the anti inflammatory (which is also a pain med) this morning and she has calmed down quite a bit.

My guess is that she has another hard two days. She goes back to the vet in two weeks then she should be able to have the cone off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sending good thoughts and prayers your way. She just has to get through the next couple of days to feel better. Her life will be so improved having you as her mommy.

·
Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Thank you. We had a very rough night last night, she didn't sleep at all and whimpered quite a bit, it was heartbreaking. We were able to give her a dose of the anti inflammatory (which is also a pain med) this morning and she has calmed down quite a bit.

My guess is that she has another hard two days. She goes back to the vet in two weeks then she should be able to have the cone off.
There are some lovely soft, flat (ish) cones that I have used for Lisi w/her 2 surgeries & it makes them so much more comfy. I will try to find a photo & post it.

·
Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Carnivore Comfort Felidae Dog Dog breed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sending good thoughts and prayers your way. She just has to get through the next couple of days to feel better. Her life will be so improved having you as her mommy.
Thank you so much. I can't wait for her to get beyond this. This was a lot of trauma for a little dog who has already been through a lot.

·
Super Moderator
10,030 Posts
Hope thing go better tonight.

·
Premium Member
17,906 Posts
How is she doing today?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sophia is resting better so far today. Last night, actually early this morning, she started drinking on her own and finally peed. So, we are seeing some progress. She just now ate some of her thawed soft bite sized raw food. Before that it was mostly chicken baby food.

I'm glad there are two of us to take shifts sitting and lying with her.

Thank you both for asking!

·
Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Yay Sophia! Good girl! We are all rooting for you precious little one!
Try & get some rest & we will keep watch here in cyberspace.
Prayers continue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sophia is showing real signs of improvement. We figured out the pain killer Burpenex was agitating her instead of calming her so we quit giving that to her. She doesn't seem to be in pain, but the itchiness is kicking in. We are trying not to use the cone too much. The UFO Recovery Collar arrived but unfortunately she could still reach her rear end - too bad because it's a great product.

At the vet tech's advice we gave her a little more than a 1/4 teaspoon of Miralax and it moved things right along, so she is feeling better in that department.

The worst is behind us now I'm sure. Now we just need a clean pathology report.

I can already see a change in Sophia, she has more energy then she did when she had a mouth full of infected and rotting teeth. I can't wait to see how she progresses. She is a total love bug!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was blessed with Sophia, an eight year old female Maltese from the American Maltese Rescue Association. The AMRA has been wonderful!

Sophia was part of a hoarder situation, 22 dogs were removed and 2 dogs didn't make it.

Sophia has the typical sweet Maltese disposition. She doesn't have the typical spunk of a Maltese, but once her health improves and given time to adjust I am hopeful she will start wagging her tail and being more active.

Tomorrow she goes in for surgery. She has a mass cell tumor on her hind quarter and needs all of her remaining teeth removed. I am quite nervous, but it has to be done and I believe the vet is good. I feel fortunate to be able to have it done so soon (there was a cancellation.)

I will post an update. Please send good thoughts our way.
View attachment 275767 View attachment 275767
Good luck Sophia

·
Super Moderator
10,030 Posts
Glad she is showing improvement.

·
Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Any word on the mast cell tumor? Fortunately that is something w/which I have never had to deal so don't really know much about it. Sending loving wishes for our girl---it will get better!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No word yet on the tumor. They had to send it out to a lab in Colorado and said it would take about 10 days, so maybe late next week. I will be so bummed for her if it isn't good news because this recovery has not been easy on her.

Last night she turned into a real fireball. She wanted to run around but instead we let her dig a blanket with her front legs. If she had been peddling a bicycle she would have been half way around the world! Before her surgery she was really lethargic. I'm sure the infection in her mouth had a lot to do with it. Also, she was with the rescue organization for 4 weeks before and she has been with us for 5 weeks so her diet has been top notch for 9 weeks now and that I'm sure helps a lot too.

Thanks again for all the interest. I will post an update when I find out about the lab results on the mast cell tumor. My gut tells me it will be fine so I'm going with that until I hear otherwise.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welcome and I hope Sophia is feeling better today. Sending healing prayers your way!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts