Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from SC. This is my first post. I found y'all by just surfing the web and was so impressed by all the helpful information I got. I have a little 1 year old Maltese named Tanner. When I took him to the vet to be neutered, his ALT came back sky-high. We've put him on vitamins, changed his diet, test results are still high. Finally took him to a doggy internist and yes they are expensive, who did an ultrasound to see if we were dealing with a liver shunt. We weren't. She said the only alternative was to do a liver biopsy which might tell us what's causing the problem, then again, Tanner is at risk for anesthesia. I decided against surgery. He is on Denosyl and the Science Diet L/D food. So far, he is asymptomatic. Has anyone else had this experience. What can I expect, what did you do?

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by Tanner's Mom@Jun 13 2005, 10:03 AM
Hi from SC.  This is my first post.  I found y'all by just surfing the web and was so impressed by all the helpful information I got.  I have a little 1 year old Maltese named Tanner.  When I took him to the vet to be neutered, his ALT came back sky-high.  We've put him on vitamins, changed his diet, test results are still high.  Finally took him to a doggy internist and yes they are expensive, who did an ultrasound to see if we were dealing with a liver shunt.  We weren't.  She said the only alternative was to do a liver biopsy which might tell us what's causing the problem, then again, Tanner is at risk for anesthesia.  I decided against surgery.  He is on Denosyl and the Science Diet L/D food.  So far, he is asymptomatic.  Has anyone else had this experience.  What can I expect, what did you do?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72107
[/QUOTE]
I have no advise for you,we have many here that will be better informed for that than I.But I did want to welcome you and Tanner to SM.If a wonderful forum with lots of caring ppl.WELCOME And I pray for the best for your baby.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Hi and welcome to SM to you and Tanner. There are quite a few people on SM who have experience with liver issues... hopefully, you'll hear from them .....

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I can't give any advice but there are afew ppl here that will. I just wanted to say

WARM WELCOMES

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
welcome to SM
, you may want to post your ? about Tanner in the Maltese health section and I am sure you will get some responses.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Yes, do post your question about liver shunts in our heath section. Unfortunately, Maltese are prone to them and we have several members dealing with liver disease, MVD especially.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about Tanner's health issues and wish you both a healthful recovery for him...I am afraid I don't have advice on this, just our greetings and well wishes

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Keep us posted on Tanner's health.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I also have advise for you but there are many people here that I feel sure will of help and everyone will give you loads of support.I'm sorry that your baby has a healty issue.Rudy and I welcome you and Tanner to Sm.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
welcome to SM!

did they run a bile acids on your pup? its the test for liver function...the biopsy will tell them if your pup has MVD. not all shunts can be seen on ultrasound also, so that is something to consider. I'm sure if your pup was under anesthesia at the internist's he would be in great hands. But i understand your fears of putting him under again.

again welcome! you will find lots of info on here! good luck

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Weclome to SM!

·
Registered
751 Posts
WELCOME TO SM !!!!!

It's a great place to learn. Once I decided on a Maltese I began reading everything I could get my hands on. Thanks to people on SM I learned about Bile Acid Tests. Because of the good people here I had the test run before I bought Tucker. Had it not been for the wonderful people on this site I would not ever know what Liver Shunt is.

Connie and Tucker

1 - 19 of 19 Posts