Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New here. I am going to pick up my first malt either this afternoon if I can make it out of work by 11:30 or tomorrow. He is a retired CH from a great breeder. Any suggestions or tips on making his transaction easier would be great. And of course as soon as he is home I will send some pics. Also, I want to change his name. So any good suggestions would be helpful I don't have a name for him yet... Right now he is called Tundar. I am so excited I want to scream. And on a side note, I joined the MO list, but decided to stay over here you seem much more fun, friendly and helpful. I get the impression that they are extremely jaded and unfriendly over there, you either conform to their beliefs or they talk about you. Hmmmm kinda like highschool. Oh well it's great to meet all of you and I look forward to any tips you may have..

~D

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by nataliecmu@Apr 4 2005, 09:36 AM
Hello and 

What are some names you are thinking about?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48748
[/QUOTE]

I have no idea. My husband and I are at a loss. My 7 yr old suggested Jett. Go figure. He wanted to change our choc. lab Ranger's name to Jett too. I just want something cute and different... hmmm I guess that is vague. I don't know anything would help. He is 4 yrs old and a DOLL.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by nataliecmu@Apr 4 2005, 09:36 AM
Hello and 

What are some names you are thinking about?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48748
[/QUOTE]

I have no idea. My husband and I are at a loss. My 7 yr old suggested Jett. Go figure. He wanted to change our choc. lab Ranger's name to Jett too. I just want something cute and different... hmmm I guess that is vague. I don't know anything would help. He is 4 yrs old and a DOLL. ohh and I am leaving in 2 hours to go get him...
just a little excited. So much so that I am playing on here instead of working. Thankgoodness I am the boss.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
How wonderful of you to adopt an adult Maltese! My Lady is a rescue and I would most likely adopt another adult next time, too. Since Lady has so many health issues, I would probably adopt a retiree from a show breeder next time around instead of traditional rescue.

I highly recommend the book "Secondhand Dog" by Carol Benjamin. Dogs from a previous home, no matter how wonderful, do come with challenges and issues. This book is helpful as far as helping you get inside their minds and suggesting how to deal with common re-homing issues. It's very inexpensive - only about $8, I think.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/087...0612645-4340824

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by LadysMom@Apr 4 2005, 10:36 AM
How wonderful of you to adopt an adult Maltese! My Lady is a rescue and I would most likely adopt another adult next time, too. Since Lady has so many health issues, I would probably adopt a retiree from a show breeder next time around instead of traditional rescue.

I highly recommend the book "Secondhand Dog" by Carol Benjamin. Dogs from a previous home, no matter how wonderful, do come with challenges and issues. This book is helpful as far as helping you get inside their minds and suggesting how to deal with common re-homing issues. It's very inexpensive - only about $8, I think.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48792
[/QUOTE]

That is the reason we wanted to find a retired Show dog not a rescue. I hate to say this but the majority of rescue Malts we looked at were puppy mill dogs. And I have a 7 yr old son. I wasn't willing to risk anything happening. I understand it isn't their fault they don't know people can be good and kind, but it still wasn't a risk I wanted. Tundar's breeder is Tamar Maltese. I would recommend her to anyone. A sweeter, nicer person doesn't exhist. She loves her dogs and it shows. Even though he is a "show dog" he lived under her feet in her home his whole life. And she is soo kind to me( the over excited woman I am).

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina+Apr 4 2005, 10:42 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Apr 4 2005, 10:36 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48792
I thought I was well-educated on the dangers of a pet shop puppy, but I thought it was mainly health issues right at the start (Parvo, etc.) or diseases that showed symptoms pretty early on.

When I adopted my Lady at age 4&1/2, my neighbor had known her since puppyhood, knew her to be healthy so I thought I was safe even though she was originally from a pet shop. She had her first seizure 3 days after I adopted her (we figure that's why her first owner abandoned her) and was diagnosed with diabetes a year and 1/2 later at age 6. She also has a grade 1 heart murmur and severe arthritis. I have spent a small fortune on her.

I think she could be considered a success story dispite all these problems as she will be 10 this year, but the heartache and worry I have gone through is worse than the huge vet bills and monthly meds/diabetic supplies expense ($150 a month). That's why I would be afraid to adopt a rescue again. As we all know, reputable breeders will take back a puppy when an owner can't keep them anymore, so those dogs would not be in rescue. As you say, the majority of rescues are probably from pet shops and BYB's. I really would be hesitant to get into that situation again. I just don't know if I could climb on that emotional roller coaster again.

That is the reason we wanted to find a retired Show dog not a rescue. I hate to say this but the majority of rescue Malts we looked at were puppy mill dogs. And I have a 7 yr old son. I wasn't willing to risk anything happening. I understand it isn't their fault they don't know people can be good and kind, but it still wasn't a risk I wanted. Tundar's breeder is Tamar Maltese. I would recommend her to anyone. A sweeter, nicer person doesn't exhist. She loves her dogs and it shows. Even though he is a "show dog" he lived under her feet in her home his whole life. And she is soo kind to me( the over excited woman I am).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48797
[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
240 Posts
Welcome to SM and congratulations! I could not resist, I had to zip over to Tammy's page and take a look at your new family member....he is beautiful! Please be sure to post pics as soon as you get him home!!!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Congratulations on your new baby and welcome to SM!!

OK... I couldn't stand the suspense either and took a look at Tunder on the Tamar Maltese web site... he is a beauty.... wow..... I wonder if he would feel more "comfortable" having the name he has always known. ??

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
A Warm Welcome from Sylphide and Shrek and I

How exciting. You have some wonderful days, and weeks, and years ahead.

PS. Shrek was named by his breeder family and we didn't have the heart to change it, even though we wanted to.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I finally did it I called my husband and told him. I had left work early to be with the new love of my life. I am sad to say my husband and son must go so if anyone knows of a good rescue please let me know. I just can't have them upsetting my new man.....

If you haven't guessed laying in my lap is CH. Tamar's Thundering Victory. The new love of my life. Being the boss has it's perks I left at noon and drove to Tammy's to get him. We are going to keep Tundar it just fits. And might I add he is so FREAKIN CUTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE..... I am in love.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts