Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had Puddles for 2 weeks, he was 11 weeks at the time.

I have never been really close to dogs of any type and don't know why now. For some unknown reason the Maltese breed caught my eye. A lady on the web send me a long letter explaining how much work Maltese were but the love you would receive in return would be worth it all.

My Hubbby and I had no children, until we got Puddles.

Well, I'm here today to say ... I just love my Puddles. Sure, when he makes mistakes I have to bite my lip ... then those eyes looks at me and well, you know the story.....its ok this time. Puddles stays in a crate when were not home and he had never once made a mess in there.

We are really working on this potty training. Some time I feel like its working and others i'm going ... what have I gotten into. Then hubby reminds me hes just a puppy. Will this work, am I being inpatient?

I have read lots of your post on here and received some good information. Like the eye stain deal, suppose I need to stop worrying about it.

If you have any great ideals on the potty training, please share them with me.

Puddles and his Mom

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
welcome to spoiledmaltese

·
Registered
346 Posts
Welcome to the group, Puddle's Mom. Hope you enjoy it here. I love your babies name! It is so cute and original! But are you sure maybe it isn't a freudian slip? You know Puddles..and potty training? J/K! lol Just struck me and had to say it! It is an adoreable name though! And relax and just enjoy your new bundle. It will all come with time. They are very smart. Right now I am going through the very same thing with my Yorkie. I got him in March and still doing the potty training thing. P on my floors every couple of days, which is better than it was in the beginning, puddles every two hours or so on my floors. They all eventually get there. So be patient with him and yourself. You will both mke out better if you do, that is the best advise I can give. I spent an afternoon crying cuz everytime I took him he would just sit and look at me and I would be out with him for an hour and nothing. I would get him back inside and within seconds he would p on the floor. But things have gotten better and they will for you too and no use getting upset over it or impatient, it will all fall into place.
They all eventually do learn when the time is right for them. Good luck

·
Registered
939 Posts
Welcome Puddles and mom! Don't worry it will all get better; he is still very young. Be consistent with your training, use lots of positive reinforcement and he will get it. Don't be surprised if he makes progress and then regresses a little, that happens. Enjoy your new pup.... maltese are the best breed in the world! I can't wait until I can have more

Judi

·
Registered
181 Posts
Welcome to you and Puddles! Two weeks isn't long to be housebreaking a puppy; remember his bladder muscles will also be getting stronger. Also, they are very intelligent...Colette learned "Sit" after I said it only 3 times. However, many smaller dogs seem to be harder to housebreak than larger dogs. One of life's great mysteries? Luckily all they make is a Puddle, not a flood.

Gail and Colette

http://gailhyatt.com/page9.htm

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
You are surely entering a whole new era in your life with Puddles! These darlings will change your life and no one on this Forum will dispute that......

Let me count the ways Pico has changed our lives:

1) my husband cuddles a tiny dog in his arms, coos and talks to him.
2) we are "speed ramps" for a tiny white ball of fluff who likes to run from the floor to the back of the sofa and perch on our shoulders.
3) perfect strangers' eyes light up and smiles form whenever they see him. The next thing you know we are all exchanging pet stories.
4) all my friends and relatives ask about Pico. He has a huge family.
5) we smile and laugh more in a day than we formerly did in a week.
6) I visit specialty pet shops in distant cities instead of women's boutiques.
7) There are 3 dog beds in our home, a basket of dog toys (never full because the toys have been strewn throughout the house) and two sleeping crates for one tiny dog.

I could go on, but I'm sure others will chime in with additional changes to their lives as well.

Congratulations and Pico sends kisses to Puddles.

J

·
0 Posts
Welcome, I too just got my first maltese and she is so adorable. She is 19 weeks old. Don't know how we got along without her. Take your time with potty training. Every 30 minutes Lacey is either outside or in her exercise pen with her piddy pad. She is really good about using her pad. I don't let her back out of her exercise pen until she has "done her business." She is so smart that she knows that if she pees she can come right back out so she goes pee and back to playing. These little ones are very smart.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts