Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking for a pup and need feed back on baby doll faces, vs teddy bear face. Also any info on Midis Maltese. Is it common practice to purchace a pup from a reputable breeder with out seeing the pup in first person? I am considering having a pup shipped based on a photo and reputation of breeder. What do you all think?

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
welcome..

i think the term babydoll faces, vs teddybear faces r pretty much on the breeders interpretation on what these are. i have no info in midis maltese but im pretty sure they are alot of ppl here that will be able to answer those questions.
in my opinion you should see ur pup first , meet the breeder , meet the parents of the pup. and ask ask ask questions. i know some ppl that have had their puppies shipped from reputable breeders and havent had a problem , but there are so many that get fooled into thinking their pups are from reputable breeders when in fact they are not. please do your homework , search ask questions, and if possible meet your pup n breeder before you buy.

goodluck , u came to the right place to ask questions.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
It's best to describe the type of face you are looking for rather than "name" it. Do you want the wide eyed/shorter muzzle? Do you want the more standard look with a bit longer muzzle and moderate eyeset? Are halos important to you? (pigment on the outer area of the lids) I've purchased two maltese via pictures and shipping. I always described what I was looking for rather than named it. I got what I wanted. :)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Hi, I am looking for a pup and need feed back on baby doll faces, vs teddy bear face. Also any info on Midis Maltese. Is it common practice to purchace a pup from a reputable breeder with out seeing the pup in first person? I am considering having a pup shipped based on a photo and reputation of breeder. What do you all think?
Yup, thats fairly common. Many people get dogs shipped or driven to them and pick from photos or have the breeder pick. Just keep looking for what you want until you find it. Sometimes this can be done locally.

When I got my 3 that are from a reputable breeder I was lucky enough to go be close enough to visit him. With Mimi ( my show pup "Diamond It's All About Me") I chose her from 3 show prospects. The breeder picked my Twinkle for me and my Jilli is a retiree from him. I think its important to know the foundation stock ( lines) that your dog came from and that they are healthy, have great temperment, and are the "look" that you like if you definitely have a puppy in mind. A good place to start is to visit a local dog show and meet some local breeders. Or do alot of reading on here.

If you don't want to be bothered with the whole "puppihood" thing (work) please consider a rescue. There are a lot of current pups/dogs in Maltese Rescues all over the country. Rescues are a great way to get a wonderful dog and give them a chance at a great life. There are also retirees (retired spayed females from reputable breeders) that become available for very reasonable prices.

Take your time. Read and learn from our members and make a great investment in the best dogs on Earth (IMO). There are some great threads that will help you.

Feel free to PM any member and ask them about their dogs or where they got their dogs. Everyone has a story.

I think this Topic should be under a different thread- Maybe the Introduce yourself or anything Maltese....not the techie tutorial part

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info so far...How would you discribe Cosy? Looks baby doll-ish to me, that is short muzzle, wide eyes and totally adorable. Can any one direct me to a photo of a pup with halos?

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Yes, Cosy has a shorter muzzle, and round medium size eyes set somewhat wide apart, although not as wide as some I've seen.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Looks are important, but imo, more important is personality. List the personality traits that you want in a dog and go from there. And I agree, consider a rescue. Petfinder.com has many Maltese and Maltese mix dogs who are waiting for their forever home.

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
Shipping isn't "common" practise, but it gives you an opportunity to buy a dog with the charicteristics that you want, that might not be in your area. Some people feel they need to see the puppy they are getting before deciding on purchasing one. If the breeder you are buying from knows what you are looking for, and they have it, and they know the background of the dogs in that puppies lines, can ensure that you are getting what you want in the whole picture. Sometimes a puppy will not look anything like what they will grow up to be. Maltese puppies have an "ugly" stage and then grow up to be the swan you wanted. Dian of Midis can do this. She knows her lines and what they will produce.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Hi and welcome to SM. Where are you located? If you don't feel comfortable buying a pup sight unseen there might be other reputable breeders in driving distance.

Dian does know her lines and is good at placing the right pup with the right owner. There are plenty of beautiful Midis babies on this forum.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am so greatful for all the help. Rescue?...We abopted a 12 week old German
Shepherd Pup from a shelter...turns out he has mega esophogus (no muscle tone in esophoqus to swallow food, has to eat up right) The shelter didn't know this or if they did didn't share the info with us and our vet said to put him down. After research on the web we found an on-line support group and a couple sent us a dvd for $6.00 on how to build a special high chair that he has to sit in to eat 3 times a day. He is now 4 years old this July and doing great. But Cagnie will not be a lap dog.(yes we had a Westie named Lacey) Anyway we are a bit gun shy after that experiance. I did search petfinder when I began my journey to find a puppy.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
welcome..

i think the term babydoll faces, vs teddybear faces r pretty much on the breeders interpretation on what these are. i have no info in midis maltese but im pretty sure they are alot of ppl here that will be able to answer those questions.
in my opinion you should see ur pup first , meet the breeder , meet the parents of the pup. and ask ask ask questions. i know some ppl that have had their puppies shipped from reputable breeders and havent had a problem , but there are so many that get fooled into thinking their pups are from reputable breeders when in fact they are not. please do your homework , search ask questions, and if possible meet your pup n breeder before you buy.
This is excellent advice IMHO. I also know people who have bought from breeders via pictures and shipping, but I do not think it is worth the risks involved unless somehow you "know" that the breeder is everything you want.

I personally have gotten my dogs from breeders I met at dog shows and then I went to their homes. For one of those breeders it meant I flew across the country to visit her. Obviously, I was pretty sure before I took that flight, but it reassured me to go.

I am so greatful for all the help. Rescue?...We abopted a 12 week old German
Shepherd Pup from a shelter...turns out he has mega esophogus (no muscle tone in esophoqus to swallow food, has to eat up right) The shelter didn't know this or if they did didn't share the info with us and our vet said to put him down. After research on the web we found an on-line support group and a couple sent us a dvd for $6.00 on how to build a special high chair that he has to sit in to eat 3 times a day. He is now 4 years old this July and doing great. But Cagnie will not be a lap dog.(yes we had a Westie named Lacey) Anyway we are a bit gun shy after that experiance. I did search petfinder when I began my journey to find a puppy.
I think adopting from rescue is different from adopting from a shelter. Rescues often have enough time to evaluate the dogs, so surprises are less common.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've never heard the term "teddy bear face" in referent to Maltese conformation, just a grooming term.

There have been two kennel raids in the Poodle world recently and these were both breeder who would seem on the up and up to long distance buyers. They were both knowledgable about the breed, their dogs had titles and they did some health testing. One reminds me an awful lot of Holleybelle. I would be extremely careful about buying longdistance.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Once upon a time Hollybelles was a good show breeder. That doesn't mean all good breeders go bad. You just have to do your homework and learn all you can before jumping in.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Dian (MIDIS) and I are good friends. I have 2 of her dogs, both with excellent pedigrees. she is a sweet lady and will be more than happy to help you find the puppy you need if you explain what you are looking for. Here are pictures of one of my babies from her:

Dimondz Pearl of the Mediterranean: (aka Terra)

and here she is as a young puppy:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts