Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all Spoiled Maltese members! I discovered your site just a few days ago and I'm hooked! This could become addicting.:yes: I am planning on adopting a furry baby in about a year and have decided it HAS to be a Maltese. I will have to save my money for a year to be able to afford a quality Maltese, but it will be worth it.

Of course the most important quality to me will be the personality and sweetness of the dog. But second is the cuteness factor! What's confusing to me is the different "look" of some Maltese. I read a link about baby doll faces, but I'm so new to this breed that much more reading will be required. To those of you familiar with the breeder Chrisman Maltese, how would you describe the "Chrisman look"?

Did any of you get your babies from Josymir Maltese?

I'm looking forward to reading and learning as much as I can about this wonderful breed.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Welcome to SM! I am also waiting to get my maltese until next year. The wait is almost too much to bear! I hope you find this forum to be full of useful information and become an active member. Look forward to getting to know you! :D

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
welcome , u will find a wealth of information here. i will leave the more experienced to answer ur question about the baby doll term. chrisman maltese are beautiful in my opinion. good luck with ur search and im pretty sure everyone here will be more than happy to answer ur concerns to help u get that perfect baby .

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Hi and welcome to SM. My maltese Mia is a Chrisman Maltese. I think the Chrisman look is typically round face, big round eyes, and short muzzle. I think Chrisman malts look like little doll babies, or cute stuffed animals..lol..

Here are some links to some of my Mia's pictures. You can also look in my gallery or Chrisman Maltese's website.

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/64-picture-posts/97842-pictures-mia-pics-overload.html

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/64-picture-posts/89745-princess-mia-modeling-her-new-outfits.html

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/64-picture-posts/91764-princess-mia-photos-part-deux.html

And, last but not least..attached is a recent pic of Mia, taken by Heidi @ AMA 2010 :wub:

Good Luck in your search!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Welcome to SM! I'm sure you will make an educated decision about which show breeder to purchase your Maltese from -- it's actually great that you have an entire year to research! You will be able to figure out the best pet for you, as well as the best supplies, foods, etc to spoil your new baby with. :)

As far as breeder "looks" go, it is mostly your own preference on what is attractive to you. For me, I like the Maltese that have slightly shorter muzzles yet not to an extreme. I don't care much for the "babydoll faced" ones as I do not feel it is to the Maltese standard. Others are drawn to the tiny, smooshed faces. From what I've noticed, Chrisman dogs have a moderate muzzle...maybe slightly on the shorter end. Many of Chrisman puppies grow up to look somewhat similar, but I have seen a few that don't have what the breeders call the "Chrisman look". I do not really care for that term, though.

Josymir has beautiful dogs but I do not have one from her. My London is from a not so great breeder so I will not mention who she is from, but Preston is from Dian Lynch @ MiDis Maltese and I am so pleased with her and very happy with Preston -- he's a doll.

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pink Pixie, thank you for the links. They have exactly the information I'm looking for. Godiva Goddess thanks for all the pictures of Mia. She is adorable! Dolce and Leila also stole my heart. I'm beginning to think there's no such thing as a Maltese that isn't the cutest thing on Earth.

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LJSquishy, thanks. I'm beginning to understand more of the "looks". I agree that an extremely short muzzle is not what I would want, however I can see how it would appeal to others. Your babies are very cute!

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
Welcome to SM. Hope you find your forever friend. Maltese are the best of the best there is.:wub:

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Welcome to SM!! Good luck in your search..luckily there's a lot of good info on this forum about finding a good Maltese breeder.

I think you're absolutely correct in doing a lot of breeder research beforehand and saving up in order to be able to afford a well bred puppy.

PS- if you can try to see a puppy in person first, that is always better because photos only tell one story..sometimes just the angle of the shot. lol.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Hi and welcome to our group! It's so exciting and overwhelming looking for the perfect pup. You have picked 2 wonderful breeders so you are off to a great start.

My Benjamin is from Chrisman. Alice (godiva goddess) summed up the Chrisman look to a T. Bear paws, round body/face, big eyes, teddy bear look.

Here is one of my all time favorite Benny pics. It's in my siggy too.

Benny is on the right in the above pic.

Good luck in your search! Fingers and paws crossed that you find your dream baby!

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you to everyone for making me feel so welcome. Looking at all your beautiful babies makes my heart race with excitement. I don't know how I can wait a whole year, but I have to! I figure that I need to start saving about $200-$300 a month, so I'm already figuring out ways to cut back on expenses. We've already cut way back because we have a daughter in college, so I'll have to be creative. I've already started taking on extra tutoring students this summer. Waiting a year to afford a great quality "baby" is certainly worth it. Some of my friends don't take into account how exorbitant vet bills can be for an unhealthy dog and have gotten their pups from a local pet store here. They defend their choice by saying, "Oh, but that pet store is owned by a vet!" I've then watched them go through emotional turmoil as their pet store baby suffers one illness after another.

Other friends have told me, "My husband would NEVER let me spend that much on a dog." I must say I have the greatest husband ever. When I approached him about my desire to have a Maltese and what it would cost, he looked at me and said, "Don't let the money keep you from getting exactly what you want. If you divide the cost over their expected life span, it's not that much." We are not wealthy people. I am a teacher and my husband is unemployed right now as he waits to get hip replacement surgery, but he "gets" how much I need and treasure my "babies."

I'm so thankful that I found this forum where everyone seems to feel the same deep connection with their fluffly kids.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Thank you to everyone for making me feel so welcome. Looking at all your beautiful babies makes my heart race with excitement. I don't know how I can wait a whole year, but I have to! I figure that I need to start saving about $200-$300 a month, so I'm already figuring out ways to cut back on expenses. We've already cut way back because we have a daughter in college, so I'll have to be creative. I've already started taking on extra tutoring students this summer. Waiting a year to afford a great quality "baby" is certainly worth it. Some of my friends don't take into account how exorbitant vet bills can be for an unhealthy dog and have gotten their pups from a local pet store here. They defend their choice by saying, "Oh, but that pet store is owned by a vet!" I've then watched them go through emotional turmoil as their pet store baby suffers one illness after another.

Other friends have told me, "My husband would NEVER let me spend that much on a dog." I must say I have the greatest husband ever. When I approached him about my desire to have a Maltese and what it would cost, he looked at me and said, "Don't let the money keep you from getting exactly what you want. If you divide the cost over their expected life span, it's not that much." We are not wealthy people. I am a teacher and my husband is unemployed right now as he waits to get hip replacement surgery, but he "gets" how much I need and treasure my "babies."

I'm so thankful that I found this forum where everyone seems to feel the same deep connection with their fluffly kids.

that is great that u have a supportive husband,, good luck on ur search and u are definitely right i hvnt seen a maltese yet that doesnt scream adorable. they r all such unique little dogs .

·
Registered
183 Posts
Welcome! You'll love it here. :D

·
Registered
2,021 Posts

welcome to SM! You came to the right place. I agree your husband sounds wonderful. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hello to all Spoiled Maltese members! I discovered your site just a few days ago and I'm hooked! This could become addicting.:yes: I am planning on adopting a furry baby in about a year and have decided it HAS to be a Maltese. I will have to save my money for a year to be able to afford a quality Maltese, but it will be worth it.

Of course the most important quality to me will be the personality and sweetness of the dog. But second is the cuteness factor! What's confusing to me is the different "look" of some Maltese. I read a link about baby doll faces, but I'm so new to this breed that much more reading will be required. To those of you familiar with the breeder Chrisman Maltese, how would you describe the "Chrisman look"?

Did any of you get your babies from Josymir Maltese?

I'm looking forward to reading and learning as much as I can about this wonderful breed.

WONDERFUL you are planning and checking things out. Christopher and Manny have beautiful dogs and are great people to work with. I know them personally and they are a hoot!! :) I also know Josy and she is a sweetheart. Either will sell you a quality dog.

As for looks, go to those that breed to the standard, not just a look. Either of the above formentioned do but their dogs do not always look exactly alike. Health is far more important that the shape of the head and lenght of the nose!!

Look forward to seeing your baby soon!!!

Karla N Girls
Silkam Maltese

1 - 20 of 22 Posts