Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello!!

I just got a Maltese puppy in December. She is now 5 months old. This girl has been a huge handful from day one! This is the most mischevious, stubborn breed I have ever seen in my life. She certainly has her own agenda!

But she is growing on us. :D

Of course I have about a million questions, but the one most pressing for right now is: what does everyone bathe their babies in?? I want to keep her cottony white fur soft and as white as possible without drying her tender skin. Any suggestions? I'm about to place an order at PetEdge.com and they have lots of shampoo products -- anybody use any of these?

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!!

Susan

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hi Susan and
im glad you found this site it is a great one, i am a newbie here too so im sorry i cant give you more info -_- . but what i can tell you is that alot of people here use pet silk products i ordered some and havent used them becuase i havent gotten my puppy yet, but i will use them on her :D . So i think it must be a good product.
Rosie

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hi SpottyPoo and welcome to one of the most informative boards available. As far as the bathing, I just got Bo Derek's Bless The Beast shampoo and conditioner on the recommendation of others on the board. I have the detangling shampoo and the silky conditioner. I know that Pantene is used also by some of the Maltese owners.

Don't buy anything yet, if you can wait, because you'll get some great feedback from the people here. Again, welcome.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hello Susan and
You'll be glad you found this site. it will be very helpful and you will meet many new friends.I use #1 All Systems products.There are many really good ones out there.Just be sure to only use products made for dogs and be sure to get one thats a whitening shampoo as well.This web site will be very helpful to you which products,supplies and just about anything you might need to know.Bhe-Jei Maltese.com Good luck

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I'm also curious to know if Lizzie will ever be housetrained? I've read some things that say Malts are hard to housetrain, and other things that say they are one of the easier breeds to housetrain. So, in ya'll's experience, which is it? (We are crate training her.)

This little booger just wants to play and play and play all day long!! I swear she lives for play!! If only I had a fraction of this puppy's energy, I would be able to get so much stuff done! LOL I'm wondering, also, if this is breed specific or if she's just being a puppy? Is there any hope that she will eventually calm down and actually sit still on my lap and perhaps even take a nap
with me on the couch?? And these needle teeth -- !yipes! -- I'm going to have to start using Mederma on my fingers! :lol:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I use bless the best product too. It help eliminate matting.
your puppy is just happy to be in her new home. She will soon learn your patterns and realize when it is play time and when it is rest time.

I actually fine maltese easier to train.. as we have a yorkie too. Thank goodness our yorkie was started of by the breeder to go outside...

Anyway have lots of fun with your new puppy.. she very cute.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Hi and Welcome to SM!

A Maltese puppy can be a lot to handle, especially if it is your first. I was overwhelmed, like you, in 1990 with my first Maltese, Rosebud. I just wasn't prepared for all of that energy, the biting, the teasing, etc. I was at my wit's end at times. I didn't understand her.... that was my fault. I've learned a lot since then.

Regarding potty training. Yes, I promise you, she WILL get trained..... but it may not be right away! It might take a year for her to be completely trained. Rosebud "got it" right away. It took Kallie, one full year. I thought she would never get trained but finally it "clicked". And now she is 100%. Catcher is about 95% trained. He does fine but if he is in the kitchen with me and the door is closed and my back is to him, he will urinate on my hardwood floor. He's nine months' old.

Enjoy this puppy time; I promise you when she gets older you will miss this energy and playfulness, although, they do stay fairly playful for most of their lives. Your baby sounds like my Kallie. Kallie will be three in May and she still wants to play, play, play.... all the time. She could play fetch 24/7. Whereas, Catcher is not as playful. He plays in a much quieter fashion and will play fetch but is not as addicted as Kallie is. So, temperament can vary within the breed.

Enjoy your baby... we're here to help!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
welcome to the SM Family!!

i use petsilk..i love the smell and i think my parker's coat is very handsome

i think in general, small breeds are harder to train b/c their bladders are tiny. of course there are exceptions to the rule and some ppl have no probs. i dont know about the hyper thing b/c when parker was a puppy, he was just as lazy as he is today. the only thing he tugs with is a finger and that doesnt even last 5 minutes. he'd just rather sit on ur lap, or lay my ur side. which is perfect for me b/c the past 2 years, i was studying all the time! good luck! and again welcome!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
WARM WELCOMES TO YOU AND SPOTTYPOO!
I use lots of stuff on my babies! I use Biogroom's whitener and also their oatmeal shampoo. I use Petsilk's whitener and Rainforest scent. If you use Petsilk's whitener, I do suggest you dilute it some (it says you can dilute up to 10 parts).

As far as potty training it depends on the dog and it depends on the trainer!
Try to be consistant as possible! That's the BEST potty training advice that was given to me here

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I use the Top Performance Glocoat Instant Spray In/Leave In Conditioner from Petedge. I LOVE it!!!! My breeder sent home small bottles of that brand of shampoo and conditioner too...I used it all and loved it, but tried Petsilk after that. I haven't finished my Petsilk yet...but I might order the Top Performance again the next time. I like the Petsilk, but I don't know that I like it better than the other. I like the Liquid Silk from Petsilk for Brinkley, me and my daughter! I use it on all of us.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Welcome Susan and Lizzie!
Sorry, can't help you much with the potty training - Beastie is only 13 weeks old and we've had him for a week. I sure can empathize with your frustration, though!

Just a word on the whitening shampoos - using them every other bath time (alternating with a more soothing product) will help prevent the skin from becoming too dry.

Glad you're here!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Welcome to SM. Hang in there. There are lots of us who are going through the same thing! My 2 girls are 7 months today.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Petsilk, I love the smell and the way the coat feels afterward, so soft and silky with

a nice shine. :D As for potty training Zoe is 13 wks and uses the potty pads

faithfully, we've had maybe two accidents, peeing on the kitchen floor

now I praise her everytime she makes it to the pad.

The next challenge will be when it's time to walk outside.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've seen so many of your Malt's pictures and they are all just gorgeous!! Although most malts look the "same," it is obvious by looking in their cute little faces how individual their personalities are. I can't wait to get to know about all of your furbabies and their quirks and funny antics.

Thank you for having me here!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts