Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Newbie from Missouri

1K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Miss_Annie 
#1 ·
I've been reading this forum and just recently decided to become a member because of all the wonderful information and advice available. I really appreciate what you guys have done here. You saved me from buying a puppy from a BYB.

I don't have a maltese... yet. :) I was originally going to find a breeder here in Missouri to get my baby from, but there doesn't seem to be any decent breeders around here. I have now set my heart on a Shinemore sweetheart. They're faces and coats are just so perfect! Also, I've read that they're pretty healthy too! Those are the three ingredients for a perfect furbaby.

I will probably be, in the future, asking questions about Shinemore and the complications with shipping a puppy that far, but I will save that for a little bit later.

I guess I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi!

#2 ·
:Welcome 4: I agree with you, Shinemore Maltese are just beautiful! Also, check out Sunnydales Maltese, I think they have a similar look overall. Plus, don't rule out US breeders, a lot may have the look you are looking for.

I hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do!!!! :biggrin:

#4 ·
Roxybaby22, I've checked out Sunnydales as well, but their site didn't seem as friendly for some reason... :S
and thanks for the cute welcom smiley! This forum is SO wonderful!

iloveGESUS, Thanks for the welcome! :) Where in the midwest are you from?

#7 ·
Hi and WELCOME! I love the look of Shinemore and Sunnydales. I'd definitely consider contacting them both since they both have very similar 'looks', price ranges, and Shinyoung's (Sunnydale's) husband is a vet, so altering can be done by him for something like $100 and you wont have to worry about having it done with you. I found both of them to be really friendly via email, but it sometimes takes a few days (prob due to the time difference, partially), which drove me nuts because i'm really impatient.

By the way, did you look into the AMA breeder list? Not sure where you are in MO but there are some reputable breeders in Iowa/Illinois/TN/etc. I would definitely consider at least speaking to some breeders closer by, if possible. Being able to meet the breeder/see their house/puppies/parents before you buy is a great experience if you can make it happen, and you don't have to worry about the stress of a 10+ hour flight for a pup before you even get him/her. Just something to think about...:)

#8 ·
Welcome to the Forum!!

I echo everyone else when I say, have a look at US breeders..there are so many to choose from, who are breeding what you're probably looking for. Honestly, I think the US has the most choices for reputable, show breeders. Just my opinion as you're already in the US.

Also, don't judge a breeder just based on their website! lol. I know of some websites of amazing breeders who may be don't have a sense of web/media savvy as others do...but still have amazing Maltese. Good luck in your search.

#9 ·
Welcome to the Forum!!

I echo everyone else when I say, have a look at US breeders..there are so many to choose from, who are breeding what you're probably looking for. Honestly, I think the US has the most choices for reputable, show breeders. Just my opinion as you're already in the US.

Also, don't judge a breeder just based on their website! lol. I know of some websites of amazing breeders who may be don't have a sense of web/media savvy as others do...but still have amazing Maltese. Good luck in your search.
This is such a good point. Definitely keep this in mind.

Here's a thread you may want to read about Shinemore. Some members have posted their experiences with them and there's a discussion within about the Korean breeders seemingly having far superior photo skills to many American breeders. It's an aspect to take into consideration, if the appearance is one of your main concerns.

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/56-breeders/102233-shinemore-maltese.html

#14 ·
You guys are so much help. :) If I do decided to buy from Korea, I will be contacting them both. I guess I'm a sucker for presentation. I shouldn't just assume that the website set up represents the personality of the person running it.

About buying here in America, are there really any breeders that have the maltese with the big eyes and short snouts. I've been looking around, but I can't find any reputable ones that have what I want. If possible, I would love to get my baby from here.

#16 ·
I was looking for the same thing. If I were you, I'd cast your net wide, so to speak. Bonnie's Angels tend to produce the 'babydoll' faces pretty often. I think that's due to Risque' who passed on his beautiful head to much of his progeny (which Bonnie happens to have a lot of in her lines). BUT, in one litter of puppies, some can have the so-called 'babydoll head' while others will not. For example, I spoke with Barbara from Bar-Tell and she showed me some pics of some of her dogs that definitely had babydoll heads, but with no website, I almost never even found her. (I think she's in Iowa if I remember correctly). She's on the AMA list.

If that type of head is really important to you, you'll need to be diligent about looking. Those sorts of pups are not super common, partially because they don't exactly conform to standard (which requires moderation in everything, including eye and muzzle size). I think they're precious, but for that reason, many breeders try NOT to produce them because they want pups that will do well in show and champion.

#17 ·
Welcome Annie! :Welcome 3:
I don't think there are to many of us living here in Missouri on SM.
SM is a great site with some great people on it and a lot of good information. I'm basically a newbie too. (I've been a member around 5 months). One day I'd like to get another Maltese :whistle:. I've only had Miley since November so I'm going to let her settle in for a while before I add another one to my family. It is so hard though sometimes I get "baby" fever so bad....but I know I need to wait. Maybe next year.

I raised my 5 kids in West Plains Missouri and two of my girls graduated from SMSU in Springfield :aktion033:. My husband and I have retired to a small lake town on Bull Shoals lake not to far from Springfield.
Best of luck on finding your new Maltese. They are so sweet :wub:.

Darlene and Miley

#18 ·
Nostresstoday: That is so cool! I'm currently going to MSU. I really like it. It's a pretty friendly town to be in. :)

and I'm looking more in the US because I'm not sure about shipping arrangements. I'm pretty sure that would stress me out too much and I'd be in a panic about the plane crashing with my puppy. :S lol I know, highly unlikely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.