Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Guys I'm new around here...well kinda...this is my first post but I have been a lurker for about a month now. And I honestly have to say I lurked on four other boards before making a decision where I wanted to post and this is the most postive and helpful board. And I love how the forum is set up and also how there are sections lots of diffent things. KUDOS.

My name is Holly I live in Oklahoma. I have been research dogs for about a year now to decide what was best for me and my family. About six months ago we decided (well I decided lol) that I wanted a malt.

I looked around and researched breeders and talk to several and found one I felt comfortable with. They had a litter not to long ago. They will start showing the puppies this weekend. They will be six weeks old. They have one male and one female. I am not sure if I want a girl or boy yet. Any advice would be great.

Part of me says I want a male because I'm afraid the female might want to challenge me for the alpha roll but then the other part of me wants a girl cause I'm a girly girly girl and I have two sons. So I want to do the whole pink thing (it's my fav color also) I want to do ribbons, bows, leopard bags, the whole works. But I am going to keep an open mind and see which dog draws me to them.

It will be another six weeks before we get to bring it home. I am sure it will seem to draggggg by.

Well I am sure I will have lots of questions and seek lots of advice. I'm eagar to meet you all. I feel like I know you and your babies from lurking for a month.

Holly \^^^/

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
WELCOME,so glad you stopped lurking and joined us
How exciting for you ..a new baby!!We expect lots of pictures ,as you should know from lurking!!!!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Welcome! I would get the girl. For all the reasons you stated,for all the "girly girl" things! You can't hardly get by with putting a bow in the males top knot after grooming because other people will say something about it-Jeez

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Hello and welcome

I have always had girls but I am very tempted to get a boy because I have heard nothing but great things about their temperments
I love pink and love bows and pink frilly clothes so it fit me too for those reasons. But if I were to have had a choice and I saw both puppies at the same time and the boy gave me more *sugar*... well he would have been home with me in a heartbeat
I think you should wait and meet them and then decide.

Good luck on your decision!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I had a girl Malt and now I have one of each. I'm not particularly in to frilly things, etc. so that is not an issue at all with me for my boy although I like for him to look pretty. I don't think dogs are like people in that regard. I think the males can look beautiful, too.

In my case, my male is much more loving and devoted to me than either Rosebud, my first Maltese or Kallie, my current girl. Kallie is a wonderful pet .... and I really thought she was very affectionate.. which she is.... However, after I got my boy I saw affection brought to a different level. That baby just worships me!!!
He is 11 months old and loves to cuddle and snuggle. Kallie is a tomboy and loves to play ball. She is very athletic and active. He is has a quieter disposition.

HOWEVER, I do think it depends on the dog. I'm sure there are active, ball-playing-loving males and snuggly, cuddly females....

Kallie hates to be groomed so much that I put her in a short cut with no top knot. A top knot just doesn't fit her personality. Catcher likes when I groom him and when I make a fuss over how pretty he looks and he has the top knot (pony tail) and bows, etc.

So, have I totally confused you!! Sorry 'bout that!!

Welcome to SM!!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Glad you found your way to SM. We'll help you pass the time, till you get your Malt!

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Hi Holly! And Welcome! I'd definately say go with the girl! Just because I adore my little girl so much!
She is very cuddly! Matter of fact she will lay in your arms, upside down like a baby and over your shoulder and stay that way as long as you will hold her! Plus she looks soooo cute in her little pink bows! I can't wait until she has enough hair for piggy tails!! She loves being brushed and pampered. Hates the bath, but loves the blow dryer. But I think it all depends on each puppies personality as well as how much your breeder "messes" with the puppy. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
WARM WELCOMES! In my opinion, you should get BOTH! PUAHAHAHA

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Hello and weclome.....I think whatever choice you make, you'll be happy. I have a little boy called Massimo. I have all sorts of clothes for him, and....yes...even though he's BOY, I still put bows in his hair. I had the choice of a boy or a girl...I initially wanted a little girl however after spending time with the pups I chose a BOY!! I think it all depends on the pups personality. You'll absolutely KNOW when you meet the one you're supposed to get!

-c

edited for a silly spelling error.....

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Hi and welcome! We have a little boy (although he'll be barking in soprano after Thursday), and we couldn't be happier with him! You hear preferences about both; I think so much depends on the personality when you meet them. Each baby has his or her own, and as Carrie said, you'll just know "the one". Congratulations!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi and welcome to SM!! I have a little boy, Tavish, and I love him to death. I never even thought of getting a girl... a boy was all that was on my mind, and when I saw him I just knew he was the one! He is the sweetest thing on earth and follows his mama around all the time... no place is sacred, not even the bathroom. He loves his daddy, but if I'm home he would rather be with me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts