Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm about to adopt a 4 month maltese and in my excitement I've shown pics of him to some of my friends. One of them told me that I was getting ripped off and he didn't look like any maltese she's ever seen. She's a bit of a know-it-all sometimes and I'm hoping she's wrong, but I've been looking at some of your dogs and he does look a little different from what seems to be the standard (bright white, fine coat, smaller nose and face). He seems stockier than most too. I'm adopting him anyway cause he's a cutie in my books but I don't want to be mislead. Here are some pics..let me know your opinions:

[/URL]
[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
He looks like a sweetie! where are you getting him from? he looks like a coarsely bred maltese, honestly. Not really close to the maltese standard, which doesn't really matter with a pet. But if you are paying a lot for him, I'd proceed with caution. He also looks on the bigger side and not crazy about how his coat looks (esp the legs) If you want a maltese that fits the standard, I'd look for a pup from a reputable show breeder.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
He looks like a sweetie! where are you getting him from? he looks like a coarsely bred maltese, honestly. Not really close to the maltese standard, which doesn't really matter with a pet. But if you are paying a lot for him, I'd proceed with caution. He also looks on the bigger side and not crazy about how his coat looks (esp the legs) If you want a maltese that fits the standard, I'd look for a pup from a reputable show breeder.
:goodpost:

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I'm sorry but he could be a mix. He doesn't adhere to the standard very closely. I would look farther and check out some reputable breeders some of us have used to find a pup. I know you wouldn't want to help a backyard breeder or mill prosper from your purchase.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Brutal honesty here:

If you are rescuing or adopting him from a shelter, I'd say, who cares? He's cute! But if you are paying money for a purebred Maltese, then you are getting ripped off. To me, he looks like he might be a Maltese-Bichon or Maltese-Havanese mix.

If you want to buy a purebred Maltese, the only way to ensure you will get one is to buy from a breeder who shows dogs. They don't have to be the top show breeder, just someone who cares about the integrity of the breed and proves it by showing their dogs. There is a wealth of information on this site regarding how to find one. When you find a breeder you like, ask them this: "Do you show your dogs?" If they say no, then hang up the phone and move on.

I really wish you the best, and I hope it all works out for you. I love all dogs, and I would be quite happy with the little guy pictured in your post. I just wouldn't be happy about getting ripped off.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I agree with everyone above and will be honest too since you asked. Cute little dog but either not purebred or possibly purebred but way off standard. I personally would not BUY this dog from a breeder. It's one thing to adopt from a shelter or rescue or rehome situation, but if I was BUYING a dog, I would want a well-bred purebred. He looks large and maybe even older than 4 months, he has a very broad face that doesn't look like a Maltese to me (it's wider and longer than your traditional/moderate maltese face), and his coat does look coarse..almost like a westie's coat to me.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Brutal honesty here:

If you are rescuing or adopting him from a shelter, I'd say, who cares? He's cute! But if you are paying money for a purebred Maltese, then you are getting ripped off. To me, he looks like he might be a Maltese-Bichon or Maltese-Havanese mix.

If you want to buy a purebred Maltese, the only way to ensure you will get one is to buy from a breeder who shows dogs. They don't have to be the top show breeder, just someone who cares about the integrity of the breed and proves it by showing their dogs. There is a wealth of information on this site regarding how to find one. When you find a breeder you like, ask them this: "Do you show your dogs?" If they say no, then hang up the phone and move on.

I really wish you the best, and I hope it all works out for you. I love all dogs, and I would be quite happy with the little guy pictured in your post. I just wouldn't be happy about getting ripped off.
:goodpost:

Also, please don't support the breeders that don't work hard to better the breed. There are plenty of guys like him in the shelter and would love a home, or you can support a reputable breeder and get a maltese that adheres to the standard more.

If you need help picking a breeder, don't hesitate to ask. :)

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Brutal honesty here:

I agree here. I would adopt/rescue him and would pay a fee for that, but I wouldn't 'buy' him as a 'purebred' because he does look like a mix and a big one for 4 months old.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I just wanted to add that since this is NOT a reputable breeder you are getting him/her from, it may have genetic diseases that you may not know about until he's older. He "looks" healthy now, but who knows if his mom/dad/grandparents weren't and they passed down deadly diseases. And not to metion the cost of getting him healthy if he does get a disease. I wouldn't "buy" that either. There are MANY cute maltese that look even closer to the standard in shelters and rescues right NOW.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the replies. I'm in Saskatchewan, Canada and I've been looking for about 9 months. I think desperation has blinded me:blush: I was secretly hoping he's just going through an awkward puppy stage. There are no maltese to be found around here. And this guy is an 11-hr round trip away. I'm not sure what to do. Should I confront her about it. I was going to meet him this weekend to see if we get along. Then bring him home on the 6th. She's asking $700 for him (should that have tipped me off?) and I haven't paid a deposit so should I walk away? I have my heart set on a pure bred to reduce the chances of triggering allergies of some of my family members.

I would appreciate any help in find a reputable breeder in my area. I've been searching on the internet and it seems that a lot aren't listed

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Some breeders in the US will ship, and there is a man that some of our members know who works for the airlines, who will pick up the puppy and fly with the dog to you. It must be very hard for you to find one, I'm sorry. He's really cute, but when he is fully grown, he's not going to look like a Maltese. Is there a Canadian Maltese Association? I don't know much about it but we have some members here from all over Canada. Maybe they can help you. Suggest you make a new post for that so they can be sure to see it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just wanted to add that since this is NOT a reputable breeder you are getting him/her from, it may have genetic diseases that you may not know about until he's older. He "looks" healthy now, but who knows if his mom/dad/grandparents weren't and they passed down deadly diseases. And not to metion the cost of getting him healthy if he does get a disease. I wouldn't "buy" that either. There are MANY cute maltese that look even closer to the standard in shelters and rescues right NOW.
I know, I've seen tons of them in the US pet rescues and I wish they were on the other side of the border

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
thanks for the replies. I'm in Saskatchewan, Canada and I've been looking for about 9 months. I think desperation has blinded me:blush: I was secretly hoping he's just going through an awkward puppy stage. There are no maltese to be found around here. And this guy is an 11-hr round trip away. I'm not sure what to do. Should I confront her about it. I was going to meet him this weekend to see if we get along. Then bring him home on the 6th. She's asking $700 for him (should that have tipped me off?) and I haven't paid a deposit so should I walk away? I have my heart set on a pure bred to reduce the chances of triggering allergies of some of my family members.

I would appreciate any help in find a reputable breeder in my area. I've been searching on the internet and it seems that a lot aren't listed
Yes, you should walk away, please don't support that kind of breeder.

Would you mind shipping a Maltese from the US? There are some members from Canada that have done that. Also there's a couple of breeders listed in this thread by another Canadian searching for a puppy. http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/50-introduce-yourself/103950-hello.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'm sure there are some reputable Maltese show breeders in Canada...I tried to search but didn't see a Canadian Maltese association but I might have missed it. I know there are many wonderful Yorkie breeders in Canada so I would imagine there have to be at least a few good Maltese breeders there. But you could always get one from the US as well

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
I hope you understand that we are only trying to help. If you have your mind made up, then nothing we say can make a difference. Just think about it and try to realize that if he is not bred properly, you will more than likely pay a big fee down the road with health problems. All maltese pups are lovable and if he were rescue, he would need a good home. If you are paying anywhere form 500.00 or more, please think about it.....there are a lot of unscrupulous people out there and will take advantage of a good heart. Good luck to you!!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts