Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I have a rehomed 6.5 month old boy name Loki. Ive had him for about two months. He is probably the best pet i have EVER owned. I can't believe how much i love him. He's amazing....however...

In the past few days, I've noticed a shift in personality with other dogs. He's become so agressive with excessive growling. He was so sweet. He'd run, play, attempt a hump then move on. I'm sure it has to do with all the little hormones in his body. But was very playful before.

My vet said to wait another month with the neuter because he still has a few baby teeth to lose and only one testicle has descended.

Im just not sure how to deal with this in the meantime. There is one tiny dog park (strictly for small dogs) we like to go to but we had to leave 5 minutes later, I've never seen him go so insane. Even walks, before he wanted to say hi, now he wants blood lol.

Help
P.s. no food aggression, loves all people and children, usually loves all dogs and no health concerns.

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Hello. I have a rehomed 6.5 month old boy name Loki. Ive had him for about two months. He is probably the best pet i have EVER owned. I can't believe how much i love him. He's amazing....however...

In the past few days, I've noticed a shift in personality with other dogs. He's become so agressive with excessive growling. He was so sweet. He'd run, play, attempt a hump then move on. I'm sure it has to do with all the little hormones in his body. But was very playful before.

My vet said to wait another month with the neuter because he still has a few baby teeth to lose and only one testicle has descended.

Im just not sure how to deal with this in the meantime. There is one tiny dog park (strictly for small dogs) we like to go to but we had to leave 5 minutes later, I've never seen him go so insane. Even walks, before he wanted to say hi, now he wants blood lol.

Help
P.s. no food aggression, loves all people and children, usually loves all dogs and no health concerns.
View attachment 275378

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
It might be hormones, or maybe he's becoming protective now that you have had him for a while.

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,028 Posts
Sorry no help here, I have had barkers but never an aggressive dogs. I would seek out a trainer, gentle training will try him out and help his behavior issues.

·
Premium Member
Paulann & Abella
1,276 Posts
Welcome to SM! Loki is adorable - I love his pretty blue tie. I also would recommend a trainer that can work one on one with him. It may take you a couple tries to find the perfect trainer that can connect with him and get results. In the long run it will be so worth all the time and energy you invest in correcting this behavior. I wouldn't be to concerned about dog parks. Most here on SM do not recommend taking our fluffs to dog parks even if they are specific for small breeds. Please let us know how he is progressing. Sorry I can't be of more help. Perhaps others can offer more ideas.
🐶 🐾🌷

·
Super Moderator
10,313 Posts
He's adorable! You say he was rehomed. What was his background before he came to you? Was he with his mom and littermates until at least 12 weeks of age which is what the responsible breeders do for toy breeds? This helps him learn good play behavior, which it sounds like he is struggling with. A good trainer (not a pet store trainer) will help you teach him (yep, the training is mostly for us humans!) to be more social with other dogs and how to reward for good behavior. I don't recommend dog parks, even those for small dogs. Too many bad things can happen there, and it's too easy to share disease.

Good luck with your adorable boy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.