Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody! As some of you know, my brother recently got a Yorkie puppy. Well, it turns out his apartment won't allow dogs (even small ones) and he is stuck in that apartment until November. I feel horribly for him because he is so attached to her already and he must be so sad seeing her go. However, she is going to live with me, so she will be well taken care of (I just ordered her a car seat to match Bellas to help her know she belongs). I am a little concerned because I don't know how Bella will accept her new little sister. Any suggestions to help them both in the transition? I know that they both need separate toys and stuff, but any other tips you have would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Bella may be a little territorial (sp?) at first. Do you have time to first introduce Bella to some of the yorkie's toys or a blanket with her smell on it? That's what the breeder had me do before I brought Tic home. Just to get her used to the smell. Also, it may be easier if you have the pups meet outside first because then Bella may not feel threatened that there's another dog in her house. I would say that the dogs shouldn't be left alone together until they get to know each other. Good luck! You guys are gonna have so much fun

I forgot to say that you probably won't have to buy lots more toys because if they're anything like my two they will only want the toy the other one is playing with

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
It might help if they could meet somewhere besides your house. That might ease the territorial part. Good luck. You are a nice sister.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone for your help
I live in TX and my brother lives in AZ, so my mom drove to AZ to pick up the puppy yesterday. She's not home yet, so I don't have any new news. I think maybe I will introduce the two in the back yard, its fenced so they will be safe, and I am worried about Bella being jealous of the new girl, maybe it will help that the puppy is still young and bella will have some kind of mothering instinct towards her, who knows? I guess going to the groomer will be interesting too, I am so used to just carring Bella, with two Bella will actually have to use her leash. I guess I'll just take baby steps and hope they like each other for now. I wouldn't have thought of introdicing them on neutral ground, so I really really appreciate this forum. Well if they do get along, Bella won't be lonely when I'm not home, so thats good. Thanks everybody, I have to go write a big big paper so I have to go, but I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Msloke@Jul 26 2005, 03:01 PM
You do know that once they get used to each other then have to send the Yorkie back to your brother, you may be wanting another Malt for a companion for Bella...heehee.  Don't ya just love an excuse to get another one? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84714
[/QUOTE]

I laughed at loud when I read that

My brother is already worried that his puppy (Harley) will bond with me and when he gets back to Texas he will have issues
I'm hoping we won't have problems though. I have a really odd family. I don't have children, and neither does my brother, and I don't know about him, but I'm living with mom as long as she'll have me. I don't want to live alone, and neither do they, so far so good! We know we're all a little strange, but if we all share the bills and no one has to live alone, why not? I guess my brother will eventually move out though, and you're right....that might be a great time to look for another Malt!!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awww that sucks for your bro! I'm glad he loves her. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everybody, I thought I should give everyone an update. Bella and Harley are getting along great, and are adjusting much better than i expected. I think Bella is a little sad that she doesn't get my absolute undivided attention 24/7 anymore, but she's being pretty nice to Harley. Harleys at the groomer right now (my brother was not skilled in this area
and she needed a little help). Poor Bella, I think she thinks Harley was just a temporary house guest and shes the only baby again
I guess I will get to watch Bellas face when we go pick up Harley and see if she really loves her new little sister! I guess from now on I'll make their appointments at the same time. Everybody keep your fingers crossed, but so far so good. I'm so worried Bella is going to eventually flip out over having to share her people and get depressed, somebody please tell me I'm being silly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts