Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
I used to watch Tag like a hawk and as soon as he did anything I would pick it right up. I had a terrible time with him but thankfully he outgrew it
I still think that the reason he did it was because he did not get the proper nutrition he needed before I got him and he did it because of that. It sort of turned into a habbit with him. It still makes me feel yuk when I think about it but thankfully he hasn't done it in a long time

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope she grows out of it. She was on Eukanuba but I'm switching her over to Innova. So hopefully she get the nutrients she needs from that.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just called the vet and they recommended something called Forbid. It comes in little packets ($4 a piece). I would give both Lexi and Nikki 1/4 a packet twice a day for 6 days. Has anyone tried this? Does it work?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I dont know at what age they say they outgrow it but yes, Phoebe still likes her poopsicles. She hadnt had the opportunity to have any in awhile, but this morning she managed to have a quick snack while I was in the shower. GROSS!!!!!

I have her on Artemis and am slowly switching to a bag of Evo, but its the 3rd food shes been on and its all the same. I think she just likes it. I stopped the peanut butter molasses treats, and still the same. The one thing I wanted to try, hot sauce on the poop itself, I cant bring myself to do until she is done with loose teeth, and shes still losing.

The vet said to try meat tenderizer on her food because it makes it taste bad, but Phoebe likes any kind of poop, so I dont know if thats going to help or not, but frankly I just keep forgetting.

Sorry to hear you are in the same boat as I *still* am...

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
All I can say is that Nikki and Phoebe are two of the cutiest poop eaters I've seen!

·
Registered
942 Posts
I agree with Mee...if they don't have it in front of them to get curious and nibble on, they might not do it. Chanel didn't have this problem either, but I made her go outside to use the bathroom and she never got into poop eating. Is she potty trained outside or inside?

When I first got Dutchess, my Rottweiler, she had that problem. And my Beagle had that problem too. We bought Deter (Petco.com link) and used it as directed and she stopped. It isn't even that expensive either!

Here are the directions: Dogs and Puppies: Feed one tablet for each ten lbs. of body weight daily for two weeks after coprophagy is first observed. If results are not satisfactory, double dosage and administer for two more weeks. As a prevention to further episodes, continue feeding one tablet daily.

Good luck to you!
:D

~Elegant

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Elegant@Jul 1 2005, 03:41 AM
I agree with Mee...if they don't have it in front of them to get curious and nibble on, they might not do it.  Chanel didn't have this problem either, but I made her go outside to use the bathroom and she never got into poop eating.  Is she potty trained outside or inside?

When I first got Dutchess, my Rottweiler, she had that problem.  And my Beagle had that problem too.  We bought Deter (Petco.com link) and used it as directed and she stopped.  It isn't even that expensive either!

Here are the directions: Dogs and Puppies: Feed one tablet for each ten lbs. of body weight daily for two weeks after coprophagy is first observed. If results are not satisfactory, double dosage and administer for two more weeks. As a prevention to further episodes, continue feeding one tablet daily.

Good luck to you! 
  :D

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=76772
[/QUOTE]
Nikki is being trained to go outside. I emailed my breeder about Nikki's habit and she said to her knowledge she has only had one other dog with that problem and it was years ago. She used Deter for like 6 months and the dog never did it again. I'm going to keep trying the Forbid for 2-3 more days and then we will see. She hasn't done it again so I don't know if it is working or if she has just not had the opportunity.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Both Catcher and Kallie (and my first Malt, Rosebud) go mostly inside and have never eaten or gotten close to eating poop. But I always make an "ugh" sound if they are near it and quickly flush it. I think they get the idea that poop is not something they should be messing with.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well Nikki and Lexi finished the forbid yesterday. They did pretty good while they were on it. Nikki showed no interest in her poop or Lexi's poop. She did try to eat the neighbor's dogs poop. This morning I did catch Nikki eating some of her poop! Yuck!

I think I'm going to try Deter Tablets. This is what my breeder used when she had a dog with this problem a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Jul 5 2005, 10:51 AM
Well Nikki and Lexi finished the forbid yesterday.  They did pretty good while they were on it.  Nikki showed no interest in her poop or Lexi's poop.  She did try to eat the neighbor's dogs poop.  This morning I did catch Nikki eating some of her poop!  Yuck!

I think I'm going to try Deter Tablets.  This is what my breeder used when she had a dog with this problem a couple of years ago.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=78201
[/QUOTE]

Good luck! LMK how it works. If we dont pick Rex's poo up quick enough, like the second he does it, Rex tries to eat it. It is gross. I have to brush his teeth so many extra times because of that, he doesnt actualy eat it, but he will try and lick it. I wish I just didnt have to worry about it! Are there any side effects of the Deter?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I was just reading that Deter contains capsicum and that is from hot peppers, it burns bad when it comes out. I dont think I would want to try that route. Rex already has enough skin irritants, I will just make sure I am there to pick up his poo immediately as I have been doing so he doesnt have a chance!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I've tried Deter and Forbid and neither did anything but give the dogs diarrhea. Tuffy doesn't eat poop anymore but my Yorkie is a poop eater now, but she doesn't eat her own, she likes Tuffys. (where's that vomit smilie) So I tried giving Tuffy the Forbid to make his poop unpalatable but it didn't work at all. I think they just have to grow out of it... which is a bummer because Pixie is like a ninja getting at that poop.. I never see her do it but I know by her breath that she was the culprit and I always remove the poop as soon as I see it so I know she's getting it immediately. I can't wait for her to outgrow this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts