Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My foster baby Nikki was going to be adopted and then the home fell through.

Actually I am pretty good with that as I truly beleive thinsg were meant to be.

Nikki is the most incredible baby in the world aside form her extreme dislike of grooming. She turns into spawn of satan when you brush her. So she must be brought to a groomer. No Exceptions. She is a loveable fluffball with absolute hilarious antics and I am crushed that I will have to say goodbye at some point. I would keep her but I have 5 dogs and 3 cats. Nikki thinks cats have a place. In the basement away from her. She hunts and stalks them whenever they try and make an appearence. Its not really fair to them as they lived here for 12 years beofore she came.

I do a lot of rescue but mostly in Pug World and I took Nikki because I knew where she came from and it wasn't good. I figured if I just got her out of there I would worry about the rest later. LOL - I always think with my heart first and brain later. But I don't care. Sometimes its to important to just get the dog!

She hugs, she dances, she prances, she sings, does the cutest tricks in the world and she has my heart wrapped around her furrypaw.

Currently she is eating OMA's pride and I put her on that to see if it helped with the eye staining and it has. :eek:) She loves dinnertime. She spins and dances.

Oh when she goes to jump on the furniture she scrambles and backs up and gets a running start. its funny. She is a toy freak and will play with anything. Even your hand. She loves to fetch.

She does do her RrRrrrrRRrr RrrrrrRRRs but we just gently blow in her face and say kisses not rrrrrr's and she kisses us. She talks to us ALL the time. If I go up and stick my face in her fur and give her kisses while she is sleeping and whisper to her, then stand up she cries for me to do it again. I love her so much!

I will be very protective of any prospective home for Nikki. If you live in the northeast have the time and love for her. Expect a home visit and vet references checked. Please email me

Nikki is spayed, about 7 or 8. I had a full dental done when she came here. UTD on shots.

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
How old is she & where do you live.Im looking for a girl so the boys can have a sister!But I live in Iowa.How is she on her potting? Is she inside or outside pottier?
Are there any health problems? She sounds so sweet. Is she mean to cats or just chase them.& does she get along with other dogs?You didnt say but i assume she is Maltese.Is that correct?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by sheila2182@Jan 21 2005, 12:54 PM
How old is she & where do you live.Im looking for a girl so the boys can have a sister!But I live in Iowa.How is she on her potting? Is she  inside or outside pottier?
Are there any health problems? She sounds so sweet. Is she mean to cats or just chase them.& does she get along with other dogs?You didnt say but i assume she is Maltese.Is that correct?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30679
[/QUOTE]

Nikki just chases cats. Actually its a sport for her she LOVES chasing cats.

She likes other dogs. She gets feisty and likes to play chase. She and my male havanese will chase each other around the house.

She goes outside just fine. She has never had an accident in my home and I would say she has been here almost 3 1/2 months and not once has she gone potty indoors.

She can never be crated. Thats where her abuse stems from. She was crated for very extended periods of time and pulled out of the crate by the scruff of her neck.

There is no reason to crate her. SHe isn't destructive. She doesn't go potty inside. SHe is a good good girl.

She's just "snarky" LOL and very very loving. I was just sweeping the floor and when I picked up the dust she came over for some kisses.

She loves to "Help" me do laundry. She especially loves sleeping on warm clothes out of the laundry.

She likes kids. As a matter of fact she has never rrr'rrrr'rrrrd at my 6 year old who can carry her around the house. She prefers to sleep with him.

All she needs is someone to love her to pieces for who she is. Understand she has been through a lot and enjoy all she has to give.

She bloomed like a flower after the first month. It took her about that long to understand play, love and appreciate those wonderful tummy scratches.

When she first came here and my husband would approach her she'd flip on her back and pee. (Not to be misconstrued as going potty in the house-she was scared) Now she doesn't anymore and she just loves him. He carries her around the house and she hugs his neck.

:eek:)

Robyn

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Oh my gosh! She sounds like a dream! I wish I could come and get her RIGHT NOW!
But you are a LONG way from me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Iowa is pretty far.

Cleveland Ohio is about 11 hours from me. (I've been that way many a time)

I won't ship her obviously! But I know plane tickets are really low right now.

Also transportation can sometimes be arranged through rescue networks where different members take different legs of a trip.

She's pretty special and I wouldn't rule out any home that I felt was perfect for her absed on location.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I would love to get another dog, but can't afford one right now. Lexi would love having a sister to play with.

Dang you are about 21 hours away from me!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think she weighs about 4 1/2 pounds.

Little doggy we call her! LOL

Nikki's background
She was sold to a woman who had her a year.
SHe was then sold to another woman who had her a couple of years and then passed away. When she died her daughter took her since none of the other kids wanted her.

She was crated most days and nights. Whomever took her out of the crate took Nikki out by the scruff of her neck. When Nikki first came here it took us a solid months for her to allow us to touch her neck. She is fine now. She is safe and loved. She needed to learn to trust. I know this story because my mom went and got her. She kept inquiring about the little white dog in the crate when she would go to this womans house. They had no time for her, they did not want her, they only kept her out of respect for the mother. But as the woman put it. They weren't "Maltese people" they liked big dogs. They didn't like Nikki. She spent about 5 years in this situation. Nikki was alos boarded a lot. WHo knows what she experienced. But her resilancy shines.

Fostering Nikki has been hard on the heart! I remembered what she was like when she first came. We could barely touch her. Now she is a feisty happy go lucky little playing doll. Every one of my fosters takes a piece of me when they leave. I think Nikki is gonna take a chunk.

Its imperative for Nikki that whomever adopts her understands her and treats her with kindness and gentleness. and enjoy her unique spunky little soul.

Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Jan 21 2005, 04:00 PM
How much does she weigh?

Can you refresh my memory, what is Nikki's background story?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30728
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Nikki sounds great. Is your son ok with you letting her go since he sleeps with her?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Jan 21 2005, 08:29 PM
Nikki sounds great.  Is your son ok with you letting her go since he sleeps with her?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30782
[/QUOTE]

Honestly. No. But they never are ready to let go. I have had 14 or 15 foster babies this year. Sometimes its easier than others and sometimes its really really hard. You have to go into fostering knowing you are taking a dog from a situation and letting them go home. Forever. Any foster mom knows the bittersweet pain of each and every one. But I am blessed that my children are so supportive and they will grow up richer knowing how much they gave back.

There is always a need for fostering. We decided to do this as a family. We have witnessed the joy they bring to their new families and sometimes we have to buck up, put on a happy face and cry later. Usually when the first update from the new home comes in we are ok, then it comes full circle what we got to be a part in.

But no, my whole family is attached to this one. She took us down! LOL very special little girl.

The only issue is that my poor cats have taken to be basement dwelling animals and thats just not fair. LOL - two of them I found 1/2 dead in a field with maggots in them only a few days old and emaciated. They were rehabilitated and bottle fed around the clock. They are beautiful sleek and sweet girls. My male tabby cubby was mere moments from being euthanized at about 4 weeks of age. They have been with me for 11 - 12 years now. It tears me up that they are afraid to come upstairs, then I am so torn about Nikki! Ugh!

Robyn

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am interested in info on Nikki. We live in Asheville, NC. We rescued our little Maltese dog three years ago from a pretty bad situation. His name is Buttsy. He had very bad teeth, only weighed 4.2 lbs because he couldn't eat, and now is thriving at 10 lbs. He is a healthy happy baby. He just had his 9th birthday on Nov 1 and is the sunshine in our life!!

We would like to get a little play mate for Buttsy. (Buttsy's previous owner separated hi from his 'brother' - a Yorkie). Where in the northeast to you live? I understand from your posts that Nikki gets along well with other dogs.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Beth
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by lovemymaltese@Jan 31 2005, 10:18 PM
I am interested in info on Nikki.  We live in Asheville, NC.  We rescued our little Maltese dog three years ago from a pretty bad situation.  His name is Buttsy.  He had very bad teeth, only weighed 4.2 lbs because he couldn't eat, and now is thriving at 10 lbs.  He is a healthy happy baby.  He just had his 9th birthday on Nov 1 and is the sunshine in our life!!

We would like to get a little play mate for Buttsy.  (Buttsy's previous owner separated hi from his 'brother' - a Yorkie).  Where in the northeast to you live?  I understand from your posts that Nikki gets along well with other dogs. 

Thanks,

Beth
[email protected]

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=32643
[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen Robyn on SM in a while. I forwarded your post to her email address. BTW, she is in the New England area.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was tied up the past week helping a friend who just had PUPPIES! That was an amazing experience! I am off again today to go help with weighing, momma and clipping teeny tiny nails! I emailed Beth. Nikki only weighs about 4lbs but is a perfect weight for her size she is petite and a great eater. She is one special special girl. She has surmounted some great odds and has become this extremely playful, (I am not kidding here) little love. She is the best! Still snarky sometimes but gently placing a finger to her nose and telling her no, then praising like a maniac afterwards takes the snarks away quite nicely. She has learned to trust she WON'T be hurt anymore and has bloomed like a rose.

She is VERY playful. She likes to scamper and frolic and bounce like a little spring lamby. Love gives so much, and she has been my teacher as well as my friend. She gives me more than I could ever give back.

Robyn

Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Feb 1 2005, 07:52 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-lovemymaltese
@Jan 31 2005, 10:18 PM
I am interested in info on Nikki.  We live in Asheville, NC.  We rescued our little Maltese dog three years ago from a pretty bad situation.  His name is Buttsy.  He had very bad teeth, only weighed 4.2 lbs because he couldn't eat, and now is thriving at 10 lbs.  He is a healthy happy baby.  He just had his 9th birthday on Nov 1 and is the sunshine in our life!!

We would like to get a little play mate for Buttsy.  (Buttsy's previous owner separated hi from his 'brother' - a Yorkie).  Where in the northeast to you live?  I understand from your posts that Nikki gets along well with other dogs. 

Thanks,

Beth
[email protected]

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=32643
I haven't seen Robyn on SM in a while. I forwarded your post to her email address. BTW, she is in the New England area.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=32682
[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
This is ME doing the HAPPY DANCE!! Robyn has filled my heart by allowing me to become Nikki's new MOM!!!! Im sooooooooo excited to be given a chance to continue giving this precious Lamby ,all the love Robyn and her family have showered her with.They have shown her all the good in how her life SHOULD have been but wasent.All their love has allowed Nikki to BLOOM as Robyn puts it into the sweet baby she has become because of them. They are a truley GREAT family
and I cannot express myself enough to them for choosing me of all people to intrust Nikki too!What an honor!!!
We are tryiny to work out transpotation as Robyn is in VT. Sooooooo if anyone here in my SM family can help with that or has any ideas ,that would be great. I look forward to sharing Nikki with all of you with her journey into her new home.
Sheila

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
how exciting for u! congrats!

1 - 20 of 152 Posts