Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got in some of the Nina Ottoson Interactive Puzzle Toys. Wow am I impressed. I'll admit I was a bit nervous about bringing them in because they retail for higher than I'm comfortable with. But WORTH EVERY PENNY!! My little boy Jett is...shhhhhhhhhh, not the brightest crayon in the box. It took him a bit to figure out the Dog Spinny. But bless his little heart he finally figured it out! He still has to work at it but it's sooooo good for him. It makes him think. I think that one would be too simple for Zoe. Not sure which one I'll take home for her to try. Anyway, here's a link to the ones that I carry...just in case anyone's interested. :whistle:

Pampered Pet Boutique - Nina Ottoson Interactive Puzzle Toys

I wanted them in for this weekends MayFest. I'm having a group similar to Delta Society here for a Tabling Event and most of the people from that group are Positive Trainers. Jena (my trainer) is also a behaviorist. She'll be thrilled she can get these locally. Or at least I hope!

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Hunter has one of these games - I think its called the dogfighter. It took him a little bit of time to figure it out (about 10 minutes) but he loves it now. He uses his teeth, nose, and paws to remove the little pegs. The blocker pegs are too big for his mouth but other than that he loves the game! I was really excited that you are carrying these - your customers will love them!

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
We have four of these puzzles at my house - they are really awesome and worth the money. All the dogs love them especially Izzy. I line them all up in a row and she goes down the line cleaning out all treats.

The tornado was the easiest to figure out for all of my dogs. Izzy knows where they are kept and will even go up and scratch at the cupboard door when she wants me to get them out. Sometimes I think she is smarter than I am - it's a little scary.

Leslie

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
i LOVE them! the buttercup is still stuck on "hmmmm. how do i get into the house?" she's unsure of crossing the doorway (too high? no, she can jump up on the sofa with ease. our doorway is maybe 3" at the highest, off the ground) to come inside most days. i don't even know how many crayons are in her box, much less if ANY of them are "bright" LOL

but i'm sort of tempted to find something like this for her. maybe it'll get her brain growing :p

ann marie and the "just because i don't have thumbs and because i prefer to be LIFTED into the house does not make me un-bright. it makes me SPECIAL!" buttercup

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (TheButtercup @ Apr 30 2009, 03:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=769794
i LOVE them! the buttercup is still stuck on "hmmmm. how do i get into the house?" she's unsure of crossing the doorway (too high? no, she can jump up on the sofa with ease. our doorway is maybe 3" at the highest, off the ground) to come inside most days. i don't even know how many crayons are in her box, much less if ANY of them are "bright" LOL

but i'm sort of tempted to find something like this for her. maybe it'll get her brain growing :p

ann marie and the "just because i don't have thumbs and because i prefer to be LIFTED into the house does not make me un-bright. it makes me SPECIAL!" buttercup[/B]
ROFLOL Sweet Buttercup, I know your game. Jett tries it too. I truly am uncertain if he is really as *cough* clueless *cough* as he appears at times. He tried to act like he was giving up on the game when I was on the floor with him and stopped 'helping' him find the treats. But when I had to take a phone call and I was no longer there with him to 'feel sorry for him', THAT'S when he finally started to try and figure it out for himself. Now don't get me wrong. There is truly a difference in shall we say, levels?, between Jett and Zoe. LOL But I am thinking Jett likes to play the 'clueless card' with mommy alot. LOLOL Anyway, that kind of mental stimulation is something the boy NEEDS. Wish I had gotten these way back when I first got Jett. Who knows, he may have been a genius by now! :HistericalSmiley:

Jett: "Buttercup, who needs brains when we've got our looks?" :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
wow these looks great. I did a search for them in the UK and your right, they are pretty pricey. I dont like to be mean but im not really sure bella would understand (shhhh lol) saying that i bought her a soft cube puzzle last week from pets at home. It was a pink fluffy cube with 5 love hearts in it and the game was to get the hearts out. She got them out in seconds and then looked at me as if to say ''jeez what a boring toy!'' if she would give it a go these puzzles would def keep her trying for longer

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
QUOTE (Bellasmummy @ Apr 30 2009, 09:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=769847
wow these looks great. I did a search for them in the UK and your right, they are pretty pricey. I dont like to be mean but im not really sure bella would understand (shhhh lol) saying that i bought her a soft cube puzzle last week from pets at home. It was a pink fluffy cube with 5 love hearts in it and the game was to get the hearts out. She got them out in seconds and then looked at me as if to say ''jeez what a boring toy!'' if she would give it a go these puzzles would def keep her trying for longer[/B]
That I like about the one that we bought and I am sure you can do it with others is that we change it up a lot. Sometimes we don't fill one piece but we put double in another or we put two in the same slidder and he has to get the first one out to get to the second one with a treat. Hunter is a master at the puzzle so we keep changing it in order to make it a little different for him each time.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
I have a question about the "Dog Smart" sizes: large and small. Is small for small dogs or just a smaller version of the game?[/B]
I have the small version of the dog smart - it is meant to be for smaller dogs i.e. the pegs are smaller to fit in a smaller dogs mouth. The puzzle also comes with instructions for how to modify the puzzle if your dog is having trouble getting their mouth around around the pegs. You can put a cord through the hole in the end and knot it so they can pull the pegs out by the cord.

Leslie

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
QUOTE (WoofLife @ Apr 30 2009, 10:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=769957
I have a question about the "Dog Smart" sizes: large and small. Is small for small dogs or just a smaller version of the game?[/B]
I have the small version of the dog smart - it is meant to be for smaller dogs i.e. the pegs are smaller to fit in a smaller dogs mouth. The puzzle also comes with instructions for how to modify the puzzle if your dog is having trouble getting their mouth around around the pegs. You can put a cord through the hole in the end and knot it so they can pull the pegs out by the cord.

Leslie
[/B][/QUOTE]

ROFL, London would just take the pegs and run off & play with them instead. lol :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
ROFL, London would just take the pegs and run off & play with them instead. lol :rolleyes:[/B]
That's actually what my dogs did at first. I had to take they pegs away so they wouldn't chew them up after they got a treat. But once they understand that there is a treat under EVERY peg they just move on to the next peg until all the treats are gone.

L

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (WoofLife @ Apr 30 2009, 01:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=769973
ROFL, London would just take the pegs and run off & play with them instead. lol :rolleyes:[/B]
That's actually what my dogs did at first. I had to take they pegs away so they wouldn't chew them up after they got a treat. But once they understand that there is a treat under EVERY peg they just move on to the next peg until all the treats are gone.

L
[/B][/QUOTE]

Good point. These are meant to be interactive toys. Not to be left home alone with for 'something to do'. It's a great way to teach your fluff things. I just had some ladies in here with Australian Shepherds. They just laughed at the games saying their dogs would just chew them up. So I explained that's why they are meant as INTERACTIVE toys and explained that they should be there with them when they are being played with. They gave each other one of those, 'yeah right' looks. Sorry but imo, if you don't have 5-10 minutes a day to work on training with your dog and some time during the week to play with them (like with these toys), then you shouldn't have a dog.

Oh, dad brought Zoe in just a few minutes ago. I needed his help to put a stroller together. Anyway, Zoe didn't even need me to show her how the Dog Spinny worked. She immediately went to it and got it to work! She's my high I.Q. girl. :wub:

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
awwww....miss smarty pants :) It is important not to leave your dog alone with the games as they are made of wood and you don't want them chewing on the pieces. We have had our game since Christmas and it gets used about once a week. I believe you can also order just the pieces if the ones that came with your game get yucky after a while. You can also sand the pegs a little bit to get rid of any problems. Crystal - I think your shoppers are going to love these toys :)

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
QUOTE (Tobys Mom @ Apr 30 2009, 09:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=770189
Does anyone have video of their dog playing with one of these? I am VERY interested.[/B]

Nikki - If you watch the video the K/C Mom posted - The pyramid might be good for Toby. I'm not sure if Crystal has one but If not I have one for wooflife that I can sell to you. It's sturdy enough that you could leave Toby home alone with it. It's made of very hard plastic and too big to chew on.

Izzy is 5 lbs and smacks that thing around like a punching bag trying to get the treats out. It's not that easy for her and she'll go at it for hours -- like umm all night if we forget to put it away. It isn't the quietest toy when it bumps against the walls and stuff but she has really good time with it.

But also playing with some of the other puzzles with him before you leave might wear him out a little bit and that might help with the anxiety. Have you tried taking him for a long walk before you leave him? That helped a lot for me when I had dogs with separation anxiety.

Leslie

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.