Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sad to say but my daughter did not get to show Abbey at our local fair. She was the only Maltese signed up and would have gotten a guaranteed blue ribbon, too! My daughter was sooo disappointed! She has always shown my sister's horse at the fair in the past but the horse is now too old ~ so we thought we'd show Abbey. Well, all Abbey did was bark and bark and bark at the other dogs. She wouldn't quit yapping!
So, we took her home because we knew she was getting stressed. There were not very many toy dogs there and now I guess I know why. There was a bichon frise, two yorkies, and a few jack russells. None of these dogs were barking at all! They were laying around relaxed and calm!

My question is: Would obedience class help with this? or do these dogs just bark at other dogs? My daughter is wanting to join 4-H next year and put Abbey through their obedience class and try to show her next summer. Do you think waiting a year for obedience class is too late? Abbey is 7 months old.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
yeah, we started gruffi at petsmart training. he's doing the homework (looks at us when we say his name and give him a treat) and he's doing great.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I would definately start a class now. I would look for a trainer using positive methods such as clicker training. No choke collars, no corrections. Sounds like she needs some socialization to learn how to handle those types of situations. Obedience class will definately help with that.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I would start class now. Lacey is in clicker training class and is doing very well, but she does not like the other dogs. At the very least she ignores them but once in a while she barks at them. The two other dogs in the class are huged compared to Lacey and both of them are afraid of her. She isn't very good with other dogs. Last year before the snow she had no problem with other dogs but all winter long she didn't see one other dog so now she doesn't know how to be with them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts