Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that when cats start going outside the litter box that usually means there is an infection or they are really sick, but does that happen to malts? Jill was 99% pad trained when we got her at 10 weeks. In the weeks that followed she had very few accidents. The past couple of weeks we started letting her have the run of the house because she never had an accident. Two days ago for no reason, she just arted peeing everywhere. Sometimes on her pad but most times not. She always poops on the pad. It seems like she is going all the time, like she did when we firs got her. A few weeks ago she only peed every couple of hours. Now she will go on her pad and 5 minutes later, go on the rug. Has anyone else had this problem? It has only been two days this way but she doesn't even seem to realize she is doing the wrong thing. I called the vet and they said to bring in a urine sample. They said to stick an old bowl under her. She is only four pounds and about two inches off the ground. Sometimes I don't even realize she is going. How in the world am I going to get a bowl under her?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
How old is Jill? the reason I ask is because Phoebe did the exact same thing at around 5 months. Even would squat to pee like she had to "go" but nothing came out. I thought for sure it was an infection but it turned out to be nothing at all. The vet said he thought it was a phase and to go back to potty training 101 and not leave her out of my sight again. I think she was back to normal in a day or two. I would definately take in the sample though.

Good luck!

edit: to get a sample, I have an old soup ladle we use. It is so easy to get it that way.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I never have to get a urine sample. I just take Miko to the vet and aparently they use a needle to get urine directly from his bladder. I think it may be a cleaner sample this way.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by maltsmom@May 13 2005, 03:28 PM
How in the world am I going to get a bowl under her? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62167
[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure if this idea will help you or not but I used it all the time with my first Maltese, Rosebud. Seemed I was getting urine samples a lot.

Here's what I did: I used a syringe like you use for giving injections, except it had no needle in it. So, she would go on paper and I would put the plunger in the "in" position and then put the end against the urine and pull back on the "plunger" to "suck" up the urine. If you use a potty pad with the plastic on the back put it with the plastic side up and the urine will not soak in and it just sits on the top and is very easy to get up. Good luck!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by maltsmom@May 13 2005, 02:28 PM
I know that when cats start going outside the litter box that usually means there is an infection or they are really sick, but does that happen to malts?  Jill was 99% pad trained when we got her at 10 weeks.  In the weeks that followed she had very few accidents.  The past couple of weeks we started letting her have the run of the house because she never had an accident.  Two days ago for no reason, she just arted peeing everywhere.  Sometimes on her pad but most times not.  She always poops on the pad.  It seems like she is going all the time, like she did when we firs got her.  A few weeks ago she only peed every couple of hours.  Now she will go on her pad and 5 minutes later, go on the rug.  Has anyone else had this problem?  It has only been two days this way but she doesn't even seem to realize she is doing the wrong thing.  I called the vet and they said to bring in a urine sample.  They said to stick an old bowl under her. She is only four pounds and about two inches off the ground.  Sometimes I don't even realize she is going.  How in the world am I going to get a bowl under her? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62167
[/QUOTE]

Use a ladle.... that is how I get urine from Tunny he is still being tested to clear up his UTI.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. Although I have not obtained a sample yet, Jill who is 18 weks seems to be doing better. She has an appointment for her last puppy shot next week, so if there still is a problem, they can check her then. I like the soup ladle suggestion, it made me laugh.
I can just see my little girl peeing on a ladle.

I think the easiest would be the syringe. I am going to give it a try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts