Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to let Brink's hair grow out for winter...well, we didn't make it.

Because he has always been in a puppy cut, with little need for daily brushing, I was not as diligent with the brushing as I should have been.

He was starting to mat in the corners of his legs (his pits) as well as a few other places.
His coat is just way too cottony on his body for a longer coat.

So, he will forever be in a puppy cut. I don't think I will try to grow it out again. We probably had it close to three inches. Now it is about one inch.

In addition to that decision...I don't know that I will be able to groom him at home any more. His behavior during grooming is getting worse and worse every time. He used to lay so still and let me do whatever I needed....but then he started not letting me do his feet, now he won't let me do his belly or butt. -_- I am being as stern as I can, and trying to assert myself as alpha...but it is not working during grooming. Certain things he will let me do like a little angel...but the others, I am afraid I am either going to nick/cut him or he is going to hurt himself trying to pull away from me while I hold onto his leg to trim etc.

His cut tonight looks pretty choppy. It was long and poofy, and I probably should have just taken him on to the groomer, but I decided I would tackle it myself.

Now we are both pooped out and pissed off.

I think I can take care of enough to keep his face and butt area in check between grooming visits...but next month he will start a monthly grooming appt. We really can't afford it with our tight budget right now, but I can't do this stress once a month either.

I just wish I understood WHY he was acting like this.
I am sure sometime along the way I probably unknowingly nicked him or something....but I can't get him to forget whatever it was.
I hate it because in the beginning I really enjoyed grooming him, but now it is so stressful that I don't enjoy it at all. -_-

I only hope that when he is on the grooming table in the loop that he acts better for her than he does for me.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Hey Traci! I am just curious, what exactly is Brinkley doing while you are grooming him? Is he growling or just squirming? Toby squirms, but my hubby holds him and we seem to manage. If it is only a squirming thing, maybe you could enlist one of the kids or your hubby to help. Do you think the grooming session takes too long and he just gets "antsy?" I know when we groom Toby, it takes me anywhere from 1-1.5 hours. Sometimes we do it in sessions and I spread it out over two or three days.

I'm letting Toby's hair grow out a bit too. We'll see how that works out in a month or so. I think Brink and Toby must have similar hair.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Nichole@Oct 2 2005, 12:18 AM
Hey Traci!  I am just curious, what exactly is Brinkley doing while you are grooming him?  Is he growling or just squirming?  Toby squirms, but my hubby holds him and we seem to manage.  If it is only a squirming thing, maybe you could enlist one of the kids or your hubby to help.  Do you think the grooming session takes too long and he just gets "antsy?"  I know when we groom Toby, it takes me anywhere from 1-1.5 hours.  Sometimes we do it in sessions and I spread it out over two or three days.

I'm letting Toby's hair grow out a bit too.  We'll see how that works out in a month or so.  I think Brink and Toby must have similar hair.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105374
[/QUOTE]

No, he doesn't growl....just squirms a whole lot. It is so aggravating. He is fine for his face, head, and body. So-so for his legs...but his feet, belly, and butt....is a pain! I have tried letting hubby hold him, and it is actually worse, not better.
I am hoping that if I take him to be groomed, it will be like when he went to get his nails clipped, and that he acts like an angel for them.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awww I totally feel ya on this. I took Cloud to the groomers today to get him one great cut before winter weather comes. Unfortunately my fav. groomer from my vet quit so the person I got at petsmart was just ok compared to my original. But he still looks cute. I think sooner or later I'm going to have to invest in a grooming table where you can tie him to the table. Definitely putting them up high helps a little. He really really really hates me touching his face. If I were faster grooming him, he wouldnt be so agitated but I cant help it.

But like you, I can't afford to give up over 40 bucks every 4-6 wks for this. So I hope you can find a way to resolve this. Maybe take him on a long long long walk and shower him and groom him. HEHE

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Oct 2 2005, 02:02 PM
Awww I totally feel ya on this.  I took Cloud to the groomers today to get him one great cut before winter weather comes.  Unfortunately my fav. groomer from my vet quit so the person I got at petsmart was just ok compared to my original.  But he still looks cute.  I think sooner or later I'm going to have to invest in a grooming table where you can tie him to the table.  Definitely putting them up high helps a little.  He really really really hates me touching his face.  If I were faster grooming him, he wouldnt be so agitated but I cant help it. 

But like you, I can't afford to give up over 40 bucks every 4-6 wks for this.  So I hope you can find a way to resolve this.  Maybe take him on a long long long walk and shower him and groom him.  HEHE 

GOOD LUCK!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105436
[/QUOTE]

Luckily, I think i can get Brink's for 25$ each time...but that is still more than FREE!
I have tried doing his feet and stuff first BEFORE he is agitated, but it doesn't help.
I have tried grooming on the table AND on the floor/lap. I don't even know that the grooming loop would help with the feet and butt thing...who knows. I am just turning it over to the professionals.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I know just how you feel
Indy has never liked being groomed though, not just lately. He fusses so much that sometimes he gets a bit more cut off in an area than he should
Also, like you it is worse when my husband tries to hold him down to help. I think Indy feels trapped or something
I am giving in and taking him this Friday to the groomers for the first time. I am just tired out and need someone else to do it at least once
I hope your little one goes back to liking the grooming at home, until then I hope all goes well for you and your baby at the groomer

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
I don't know if this helps or not - but how old are your babies? Harley is 18 months old & the groomer told me he fussed a little bit with her - I told her he does that when I am trying to brush him sometimes - she said that it was probably his age & he would probably start to throw little 'tantrums' to see how much he can get away with.

She said it was really important not to let him have these tantrums as each time he gets away with it, he'll just turn it up a knotch next time to 'win'. Her suggestion was that I just persevere with it because it's his age & the last thing I want him to do is think he's going to get away with it if he just throws a 'tantrum'!

Patience, as always, is the key! Although I know how you feel & I do give in sometimes - even though I know I'm not supposed to! I just don't want him to get too upset so I only persist for about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Maybe cut him down REALLY short each time you go to the grooomers that way you dont have to groom him as often thus, being cheaper! HAHAHA
Sorry I'm no help. I broke down and took Cloud grooming yesterday so you know I understand how you feel! They swear he's such a good baby, but I get so frustrated grooming him. LOL

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
We only did the self grooming twice. Puddles would sit on butt, put face under legs, lay on belly and jerk head. It was a battle to get him to listen and hubby said not worth it. I was going to cut him and have a hugh vet bill plus a hurt dog.

The groomer I'm using now charged me $35.00 1st time and now only $12.50 every 3 weeks for a trim. I bath him myself prior to going, due to her using dryers and shes okay with that. She says the little devil is perfect with her....wonder if she's lying.

Puddles will be in a puppy cut for ever. I am bad with the brushing thing as his hair is cotton also.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I'm having a hard time brushing Ruby Jean also. She acts like I'm trying to butcher her or something
... she's had a puppy cut all summer because she has that cottony hair also. I want to start growing it out though and I'm going to have to start taking her to a groomer because she just bites at the brush or comb and I can get nothing accomplished!!!
I have to put her in the sink in order to comb her now...lol...otherwise I just can't do it. Boy they sure do have a mind of their own don't they?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have never even tried to groom Miko - never even bought scissors or clippers. I do brush him and give him bath weekly and he actually behaves really well for those but without even trying, I just figured that he wasn't going to like me cutting his hair so I left it up to professionals.

Unfortunately we take him to groomers every 3 months or so at which point he tends to get a short cut (depending on how busy mommy has been with school which =matts) and then it grows out till next cut. His hair is about 2 inches now but unfortunately I am going to do some rotations/externships in San Francisco for next 2 months and Miko will be living with his daddy in Santa Barbara and since daddy is not into brushing (but rather playing) with Miko, we have to cut his hair. I can't believe I will be living apart from my baby (I will see him on weekends) -- but that's another story!!!!

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Oct 2 2005, 01:18 AM
Hey Traci!  I am just curious, what exactly is Brinkley doing while you are grooming him?  Is he growling or just squirming?  Toby squirms, but my hubby holds him and we seem to manage.  If it is only a squirming thing, maybe you could enlist one of the kids or your hubby to help.  Do you think the grooming session takes too long and he just gets "antsy?"  I know when we groom Toby, it takes me anywhere from 1-1.5 hours.  Sometimes we do it in sessions and I spread it out over two or three days.

I'm letting Toby's hair grow out a bit too.  We'll see how that works out in a month or so.  I think Brink and Toby must have similar hair.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if you are speaking of brushing or clipping when you speak of grooming. If it is brushing and you find your baby is squirmy try holding him in your lap. I have always placed Sassy in my lap to brush her, clip her nails, pluck ears, etc. There is not a whole lot of wiggle room there.
But after the initial training period she just lays here and enjoys. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy+Oct 4 2005, 09:55 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Nichole
@Oct 2 2005, 01:18 AM

I'm not sure if you are speaking of brushing or clipping when you speak of grooming. If it is brushing and you find your baby is squirmy try holding him in your lap. I have always placed Sassy in my lap to brush her, clip her nails, pluck ears, etc. There is not a whole lot of wiggle room there.
But after the initial training period she just lays here and enjoys. I hope this helps.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105941
[/B][/QUOTE]

This is while clipping...not brushing.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Traci, I was just thinking about this and I think Brink and Toby have similar hair. Anyway, when I clip Toby, I take his hair down really short, 0.5 inch. I never have to brush him because there is really nothing to brush and he can go 3-4 months before he needs another full groom.

In between grooms, I do his paw pads, nails and trim up his bum area. Since I know money is a concern for you, you can probably stretch the groomings to 3-4 months and possibly you can still do the mini-grooms at home.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Nichole@Oct 5 2005, 02:21 AM
Traci, I was just thinking about this and I think Brink and Toby have similar hair.  Anyway, when I clip Toby, I take his hair down really short, 0.5 inch.  I never have to brush him because there is really nothing to brush and he can go 3-4 months before he needs another full groom. 

In between grooms, I do his paw pads, nails and trim up his bum area.  Since I know money is a concern for you, you can probably stretch the groomings to 3-4 months and possibly you can still do the mini-grooms at home.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=106356
[/QUOTE]

The mini-groom section is the part he is not cooperating with.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Traci, what worked for me was being really sweet and gentle. I figured this out when my groomer came to the house to groom Catcher when he was a puppy and hadn't had all his shots yet. So I watched her groom him, which is the first time I had ever been that close to a groomer in action.

She talked sweet baby talk to him and he was soooo good.

So, I tried it. I almost whisper to him and I kiss him and try to make it a pleasant experience. I only do touch ups as he and Kallie have a standing appointment once a month because I am not good with scissors, etc.

I don't think you can start being alpha at the grooming session. If you are already alpha, it'll carry over to grooming. If you aren't, then being stern during grooming won't make you alpha... hope that makes sense!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by HarleysMum@Oct 3 2005, 07:28 PM
I don't know if this helps or not - but how old are your babies?  Harley is 18 months old & the groomer told me he fussed a little bit with her - I told her he does that when I am trying to brush him sometimes - she said that it was probably his age & he would probably start to throw little 'tantrums' to see how much he can get away with. 

She said it was really important not to let him have these tantrums as each time he gets away with it, he'll just turn it up a knotch next time to 'win'.  Her suggestion was that I just persevere with it because it's his age & the last thing I want him to do is think he's going to get away with it if he just throws a 'tantrum'!

Patience, as always, is the key!  Although I know how you feel & I do give in sometimes - even though I know I'm not supposed to!  I just don't want him to get too upset so I only persist for about 10 minutes.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105831
[/QUOTE]
I agree with Harley'sMum our furbabys are just like kids, when they don't like
something they test the water and see how far they get, and will keep testing
till either we give up or they realize we won't give up and wether they like it
or not it is going to get done. Cosmo is still young and overall does pretty well
but when it comes to brushing his back legs and around his bumb he is full of
objections, so once in a while I will pick him up to face me, look straight in
his eyes and have a heart to heart talk about this is going to be done wether
you like it or not, and the more you fight me the longer it will take.

Believe it or not he usually settles down. As if he is saying alright fine do it
and get it over with.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Oct 5 2005, 08:58 AM
Traci, what worked for me was being really sweet and gentle. I figured this out when my groomer came to the house to groom Catcher when he was a puppy and hadn't had all his shots yet. So I watched her groom him, which is the first time I had ever been that close to a groomer in action.

She talked sweet baby talk to him and he was soooo good.

So, I tried it. I almost whisper to him and I kiss him and try to make it a pleasant experience. I only do touch ups as he and Kallie have a standing appointment once a month because I am not good with scissors, etc. 

I don't think you can start being alpha at the grooming session. If you are already alpha, it'll carry over to grooming. If you aren't, then being stern during grooming won't make you alpha... hope that makes sense!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=106413
[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure i am the alpha in most other situations....
He is great with the grooming except for feet, bottom and belly....
Hubby wonders if it tickles?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Originally posted by RubyJeansmom@Oct 3 2005, 06:25 PM
I'm having a hard time brushing Ruby Jean also. She acts like I'm trying to butcher her or something 
  ... she's had a puppy cut all summer because she has that cottony hair also. I want to start growing it out though and I'm going to have to start taking her to a groomer because she just bites at the brush or comb and I can get nothing accomplished!!! 
I have to put her in the sink in order to comb her now...lol...otherwise I just can't do it. Boy they sure do have a mind of their own don't they?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105854
[/QUOTE]

Same here, Summer started fighting me too
She see me pull out the brush and comb and off she goes
She knows the little rat
Some days worst than others
We go to the groomer 1 x a week I swear after the 3rd day she looks like a little rag muffin .I'm paying 15.00 right now thats just for bath ,brush nails etc.. a week
high maintance

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have exactly the same thing with Angel-she mats a day after a brush out-it's very frustrating,(and my three kids are known for the famous "matting massage" that gentle rub that she loves-kills her fur) but I'm at the point where I have resigned myself to keeping her body fur short-VERY short, and her legs and tail long and feathery-they don't seem to mat!! (Think Chinese Crested-we call her Angel-san)

I do it at home because the groomer seems to think her ears and head need a short cut too...and they are fine with a combing-I like my girl in bows!!

I have my daughter hold her butt in the air while I trim her rear-it takes a few seconds, and the rest is accomplished in just a few minutes.......

Now if I could only convince her that the soapy water is yucky.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts