Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I made the decision not to smoke in the house any more. When ever I would smoke, I would always make sure Puddles was in the other room, but deep in my heart I knew that it was really bad for him.

Today we painted ceilings (3 large rooms), now we only have 4 rooms to do tomorrow. I am so tried, my neck feels like its gonna break and my ankles are swollen. Would love to sit back on the sofa right now with a Pepsi and smoke!!
After were finished with the ceilings, I'm washing down each room....I am crazy!! Moving all the furniture (including bed) and cleaning behind them, something that has not been done in a long time. Hope to get the house looking like it did new. Hope I can get this all finished Monday.

I know it will worth it when finished. Walking in and no smoke odor....mmmmm. The secret is that I'm really doing it for Puddles, but not telling any one. Want him to have a healthy home with clean air (worried about him more than us).
But it's also helping me to quit

Have a great Labor Day all......maybe yours will not end up like mine (work work)

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Congrats on the decision!! I've been trying to quit for a while now...stress at work isn't helping me though
I always questioned myself because I wouldn't smoke near the boys for their health, meanwhile I'm puffing away my own health

I'm sure your house will look fantastic and I'm glad that Puddles is helping you quit
Easier said than done, but it's all just one step at a time and it seems like you are well on your way to quitting

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hope I can continue this, going out on the screen-in porch to smoke. DH says I can't do it, when winter gets here I will smoke in the house. Well he must not know me well enough, I will do it just to show him. Going outside should cut my smoking down in 1/2, its a start.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I smoked from 1966-1970 while in college and back then we didn't know the health hazards. It can be a powerful addiction and it is so hard to quit. I was lucky that I quit back then when I was young. I applaud you for realizing the need to do it and for looking out for Puddles.

·
Registered
571 Posts
If you need help to quit smoking there is www.quitnet.com . I used it when I was quitting 5 years ago and it sure helped. There is a chat room and everyone there is in the process of quitting or has quit. It is great because you have lots of support from people who know what you are going through and no one says "you could do it if you wanted to" as all the non smokers say. Also it is basically free.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have never smoked but my grandmother did. When I was 7 I was visiting her. She had smoked for 50 years. I had horrible sinus problems as a child and being around smoke was just horrible for me. When my grandmother saw how it was for me she put down her cigerattes and never smoked again. She told me years later she couldn't do it for herself, but she could quit for someone she loved.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Congrats and good for you!

I hate cigarette smoke--it just lingers! Neither my husband nor I smoke and when we have company, I just cringe when they light up and of course it is people who I can't tell not to smoke in my house, like my dad.

My husband has poker parties at our house and when everyone leaves, I Febreese the entire house and we leave the windows open for days while I run every fan in the house. It is just an odor that lingers in every fabric.

The funny thing is since I have gotten married and moved out, I have become more sensitive to smoke. I can smell it on people, whereas when I lived at home, I never smelled it. Funny though, my parent's house does not smell like smoke because my dad is only allowed to smoke in the basement with the ionic breeze sitting next to him or in the dining room with the screen door open.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Good for you trying to quit. I smoked for years and so did my hubby. We both quit on April 16, 2001. Quit net is a great place to go that will give you help.

Don't be fooled by telling yourself that stress makes you smoke. Actually, once you quit the stress level goes down. Smoking makes the stress worse. Also, within 3 days of not smoking it is out of your system. From then on it's all in your head and it's a matter of habit.

The best advise I can give you to quit smoking is to change the way you do everything. Anyone that knows me from quitnet.com knows from talking to me that habit change works the best. If you want to pm me I will give you the details on how to quit. Also, you might want to pick up Alan Carr's book on giving up smoking.

Good luck to you and remember if you REALLY want to quit YOU CAN

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
That's great you decided to take the smoking outside.
If you are interested in quitting, they have this new thing that is like a laser or something? Some people I work with have tried it or their husbands have tried it, apparently it works wonderfully! One's husband just had it done 2 weeks ago and hasn't picked up a cig since he had the treatment. I wish I could remember the exact name of what it is, I just know they have to go down town to one of the St. Louis hospitals for it.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I hate to sound preachy but I would also encourage you to consider quitting now. Lung cancer is the most deadliest cancer in both men and women. Partly because its often not diagnosed till the disease has spread significantly. I spent last year doing research on lung cancer and we have proposed a possible new treatment (my paper just got accepted by a great, respectable journal
). However, the survival of people lung cancer is extremely poor (on average about 15% will live for 5 years after diagnosis). If you quit now, you can significantly decrease your risk of cancer and other negative diseases associated with smoking. I don't mean to make you feel bad but I just feel that its important for people to at least think about quitting altogether.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by ConnieVa@Sep 4 2005, 06:50 AM
Don't be fooled by telling yourself that stress makes you smoke.  Actually, once you quit the stress level goes down.  Smoking makes the stress worse.  Also, within 3 days of not smoking it is out of your system.  From then on it's all in your head and it's a matter of habit.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96788
[/QUOTE]
The stress at work makes me smoke more because I take breaks a million times a day just to get outside and away from the office
It's like an automatic reaction, the second I step outside I pop a butt in my mouth...

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut+Sep 4 2005, 02:43 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ConnieVa
@Sep 4 2005, 06:50 AM

Don't be fooled by telling yourself that stress makes you smoke.  Actually, once you quit the stress level goes down.  Smoking makes the stress worse.  Also, within 3 days of not smoking it is out of your system.  From then on it's all in your head and it's a matter of habit.

The stress at work makes me smoke more because I take breaks a million times a day just to get outside and away from the office
It's like an automatic reaction, the second I step outside I pop a butt in my mouth...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96840
[/B][/QUOTE]

Doesn't your boss notice all the smoke breaks... it couldn't look good.... Try other ways to reduce stress.... maybe take a walk around the building or something ?? Do some stretching exercises.... drink a cup of green tea...... ??

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Sep 4 2005, 03:04 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 4 2005, 02:43 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-ConnieVa
@Sep 4 2005, 06:50 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96840

[/QUOTE]

Doesn't your boss notice all the smoke breaks... it couldn't look good.... Try other ways to reduce stress.... maybe take a walk around the building or something ?? Do some stretching exercises.... drink a cup of green tea...... ??
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96842
[/B][/QUOTE]
I can't get fired...I work for my family
When I'm not at the office, I'm at home working so it's not like the work is suffering that anyone would notice. I have been cutting down, and there is a park with trails across the street, so I've been upping the distance that I walk while leaving the butts in the office in my purse. some of the work I do is so mind numbing and tedious that I use the smoke break as my way to get a quick escape...it's definately all in my head and that's the hardest part for me to break. Like, my bf noticed that the trip from my house to his (1-2 hours depending of traffic) which we have to travel all the time, he will see me grab my pack of butts at the same tolls everytime. It's really simple to see where I habitually smoke, but those are the hardest to stop. Thanks for the suggestions though. One of my best friends and I are trying to quit together so we are working on it. My bf quit so easily, but it seems that I am having a tougher time breaking the habit.

Sorry for stealing your thread Puddles mom. Hopefully those of us who smoke can take some inspiration from you and begin to kick the habit
We can be our own little support group

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey, no sorry about the thread. I'm just glad someone else here smokes. Was wondering if I was gonna get bashed about smoking ......

It is a hard habit to break. But in the last 2 days, I am still on the same pack. Now I'm telling ya, thats a plus for me.

(finished the ceilings today....tonight starting on bedroom washing down every thing. I wiped a few places and dang the brown stuff....I know I did it so I have to clean it)

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
i'm sooo glad you're quitting smoking
or at least trying to.

my dad had a heart attack at 33, which was his incentive to stop smoking. i'm so glad nothing like that happened to you - it's great that you're quitting on your own terms.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Originally posted by Puddles Mom@Sep 3 2005, 09:02 PM
Well I made the decision not to smoke in the house any more. When ever I would smoke, I would always make sure Puddles was in the other room, but deep in my heart I knew that it was really bad for him. 

Today we painted ceilings (3 large rooms), now we only have 4 rooms to do tomorrow. I am so tried, my neck feels like its gonna break and my ankles are swollen. Would love to sit back on the sofa right now with a  Pepsi and smoke!! 
After were finished with the ceilings, I'm washing down each room....I am crazy!! Moving all the furniture (including bed) and cleaning behind them, something that has not been done in a long time. Hope to get the house looking like it did new. Hope I can get this all finished Monday. 

I know it will worth it when finished. Walking in and no smoke odor....mmmmm. The secret is that I'm really doing it for Puddles, but not telling any one. Want him to have a healthy home with clean air (worried about him more than us). 
But it's also helping me to quit 

Have a great Labor Day all......maybe yours will not end up like mine (work work)

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96764
[/QUOTE]
It's bad for you too, Mama! I remember those smoking urges from many years ago. I don't know how you feel about this, but I gave up smoking many years ago after praying and promising God I wouldn't anymore. It was easy. It is a lot harder to break a promise to the "Big Guy!" He has blessed me soooo much.

Congrats to all you who have given it up and BEST WISHES to all you wanting to!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Puddles Mom@Sep 4 2005, 04:38 PM
Hey, no sorry about the thread.  I'm just glad someone else here smokes. Was wondering if I was gonna get bashed about smoking ......

It is a hard habit to break. But in the last 2 days, I am still on the same pack. Now I'm telling ya, thats a plus for me. 

(finished the ceilings today....tonight starting on bedroom washing down every thing. I wiped a few places and dang the brown stuff....I know I did it so I have to clean it)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96850
[/QUOTE]
That's great to be on the same pack after a couple of days! That's my first goal
I never bring a whole pack with me anymore, just carry a couple and it helps me to cut down. I know what you mean about washing everything down :new_Eyecrazy: I did that a few months ago.

Jessica, I'm sorry that happened to your dad. My family is from another country and smoking just never was a big deal so my parents (mom has since quit) smoked all the time and it never really affected them when we started smoking.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.