Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying like crazy to get someone to go w/ me on a weekend trip away. I've asked all my friends who could possibly get time away and it's a no go for all of them. I'm starting to get a complex. I wish I was on someone's first thought list instead of last thought...I'm getting rather sad about it all. I need a break from my kids and my daughter's diabetes care. :smstarz: I need someone to go w/ me to share the expense..and to talk to. :unsure::unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
I would go! I need a break from all this chaos. I totally understand!

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Awwww don't be sad :(. I know easy for me to say. Try not to think that you are not first on someone's list, even though it feels that way. Sometimes are bestest of friends, are not willingly pulled in other directions.

I found, and this may sound crazy, that I am my own best friend. Maybe, instead of a weekend getaway, you could go somewhere even for one night (this way you wouldn't have the cost of the entire weekend on you) and just take in the sights and sounds of a different environment, and it's more then okay to do that on your own. And it gets you away from all the stress even for one night.

You would be surprized how friendly and chatty people are, when you are out on your own, and conversations just seem to happen naturally.

First always be your very own best friend. Take that one nighter, giver yourself a little treat and a chance to renew and refresh yourself.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Maybe you can plan an evening out with your friends instead of an overnight? I know I've found it hard to get together with some of my friends in the past. We've known each other since high school, so its been over 25 years. We all have families, responsibilities, obligations and then there's the distance since some of us are about a 2 hour's drive away. This past summer was the first time that we were all able to make an actual overnight on Cape Cod. We get together every 3-4 months and just do a dinner out and then drinks at someone's house so that we have extra time together. Maybe you can plan something like this?

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Try not to think that you're last on their list of importance, because I'm sure it's not like that. Maybe they just can't afford to take time off and go anywhere right now. I know my family has invited my husband and I for 3 years to go to Disney World with them, but we just can't afford it...and it will be several more years before we can. We want to go SO bad, but it all comes down to the fact that it's not possible to save $2500 for us to go. Things always come up (car repair, vet bills, etc).

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go without them, and visit a place you've always wanted to see.

I was given a budget as this is a "gift" from my DH. If I have someone to go along, my money goes further. I'm not really looking to do much but sit on a beach and relax to be honest. The problem is, I need to find a nice clean place that is in that budget and near restaurants and such so I can walk and not rent a car. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
24,033 Posts
Please don't take your friends not going away with you as an insult. Life just gets too crazy these days and other people's commitments or limitations often don't allow them to get away. But I've made special time away for myself at times. I travel a lot for work (am in fact in DC right now) and instead of sitting in my room, eating from room service I find out about really nice restaurants and treat myself. I don't mind going anywhere alone and I could care less what other people think about me sitting alone. Before I was married I took myself to Club Meds or on skiing trips alone. I always met friendly people and had a great time since I was open to it.
Another idea if you really need a break from the stress of everyday life, instead of a weekend away why don't you try a day of spa treatments. Sometimes you can get a special...maybe a weekday. A massage, a facial, mani, pedi. Some have swimming pools or are near the ocean.It feels like you've been on vacation and your DH will have given you a real gift. It's very renewing. Good luck.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I traveled solo for the first time when I was studying abroad in Europe. I spent about 10 days and crossed over to the East of France, Germany, and through Switzerland. At first, it definitely took some getting used to, but it was so nice to not worry about what anyone else felt like doing, not having to entertain anyone, just turning on my 'soundtrack of the day' (ipod) and being inside my own head for a while. I still feel like it was huge for my sense of independence and I'm so glad I did it. So, if you've never traveled alone, I definitely wouldn't count it out.

It's too bad your friends couldn't make it, but maybe it's a blessing in disguise. Maybe you just need some real 'you' time !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.