Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Louis hasnt been feeling well lately. He had a bit of diarrhea last week(tuesday/wednesday) and then went to the vet on thursday because his diarrhea turned bloody. The vet recommended that he be put on a bland diet of i/d or chicken and rice which I have done. Also, she gave me some antibiotics (metronidazole) to give twice a day for 10 days. On friday, saturday and sunday Louis had soft poop but no more bloody diarrhea. Since then, no more poop! Im getting kind of worried because I thought he would poop for sure today. I also ordered a probiotic and have been giving it to him since yesterday when it arrived in the mail. Hes been eating his bland diet and drinking water normally and hes still alert and playful. Should I be super worried? Is there anything I should be doing? Im kind of scared to give him pumpkin because he had diarrhea last week. Any suggestions? Should I take him in tomorrow or give it another day?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I hope I can get an appt for tomorrow! Is there anyway to make him poop? I dont think he even has the urge. He has been peeing normally though.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
If it were me, I would just make sure Louis had plenty of fluids and make sure to take him to the vet ASAP in the morning.

Please let us know what happens tomorrow....poor buddy. :(

·
Registered
590 Posts
Oh just reading your story, I was just going to say Max is on the same stuff and he finally pooped on Monday. Its that medication...cloggs them up....yippee the poop is here...

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
I had that with Tyler when he had diarrhea last year after his neuter. Then he didn't poop for a few days, mainly because he was all pooped out. I used to have that when my DS was sick too. Takes a few days for things to get moving again. Happy Louis is doing better. Do you know why he was sick in the first place?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They have no idea what started the bloody diarrhea. They have tested his feces for parasites and giardia and it came back negative. The vet thinks it was stress, maybe due to the weather. Its been mighty cold in DC. The vet said that it just happens sometimes with little dogs because sometimes when they are stressed, they dont digest their food properly which allows the bad bacteria to accumulate and irritate the intestine lining. Louis is on the same food, a mix of acana pacifica and grasslands and he hasnt had any new treats. I give him bottled water only. I have started him on animal essential probiotics to regulate his digestion. I hope his tummy is back to normal soon. We leave for washington state next wednesday and I want him to be feeling better by then.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
glad he pooped and im glad he is on the mend , like humans their little systems get messed up sometimes.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Louis had nice, firm poop today! I sound like the crazy poop lady, but I'm so thankful he's getting back to normal!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
It is not unusual for a dog not to defecate or to have very small defecations for a few days with metronidazole. The general rule of thumb is unless the dog is straining to defecate and cannot go, it is okay.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
One of the only places on the planet where we cheer a good poopies!!! AHAHAHAAA!!! *clapping* So glad Louis sounds to be on the mend... Have a fun and safe trip! :)

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Bogie has the same problem. He was given two shots for vomiting and diarrhea. That was yesterday morning, and we're still waiting for the poops. He has been hungry and eating Hills I/D, but no poops. He seems fine otherwise. Hopefully, his system will get moving tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,617 Posts
If you get desperate---try giving small bites of cut up dates---works wonders!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts