Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:chili:I just found out that ARTEMIS OSOPURE SMALL BREED ADULT DOG FOOD does not contain the Rosemary extract:aktion033:.

As you may know, this is a cause of seizure in some dog and 2 months ago, my Dolcina, fainted, and since then, I was looking for food that does not contain Rosemary extract.

ARTEMIS used to have it in their dog food, but in this new formula, no more:thmbup:. Thought you might be interested to know.

I bought the 30lbs for $32 + tax.

:wavetowel2:Sammy, mom to Dolcina, Bambolina, Poupetta, Lucy, Ricky and Piccolina in Heaven.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have been giving my malt Nordic Naturals omegas 3 6 9 fish oil and it has rosemary extract with no ill effects. All the dry food I give always has rosemary extract towards the end of the ingredient list so the little amount they actually get is very little.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
some Malts will react while others will not.....only issue there is that you don't know which kind yours is until it may be too late (a seizure).

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Just wondering, and perhaps it's been discussed before..but why is rosemary included in so many pet foods? For flavoring? It's almost difficult to find one without it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Just wondering, and perhaps it's been discussed before..but why is rosemary included in so many pet foods? For flavoring? It's almost difficult to find one without it.
I was told that they use rosemary extract in pet food because it is a NATURAL preservative.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Rosemary is used as a preservative.

There is no scientific evidence that proves rosemary extract can cause seizures.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
i think you only need to be concerned about rosemary if your dog has had seizures before.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
I feed Baci Dr Harveys plus Nordic Naturals both have Rosemary and never had a problem..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts