Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always researched nutrition as a hobby. But since Meow Meow was diagnosed with cancer, I resolved also to replace as many toxic household and personal care products with non-toxic, all-natural products to the extent possible....

I'm a complete novice at this...I know there are some on the board that have expert knowledge of this....and I hope they chime in and help/correct me where I'm incorrect, or help suggest other products that they love.

But since I researched this for a couple days, I thought I would share my list that I came up with of products had the LOWEST toxicity on Environmental Working Group's cosmetic database with the HIGHEST user ratings on Makeupalley.com and Vitacost.com....I eliminated brands that I could not find at a common retailer or not enough people reviewed...

I was shocked to find that many organic brands in fact use toxic ingredients and you have to check the products one by one...The same company that produces a toxic score of 1 shampoo could also produce a toxic score of 6 moisturizer!! Here's my list of products and their toxicity score from EWG in case it saves someone work:

LIP BALM
BADGER ORGANIC LIP BALM, UNSCENTED 0

SOAPS
Kiss My Face - Olive Oil Soap Fragrance Free 0
Tom's of Maine Natural Deodorant Body Bar Lemongrass 0

BODY MOISTURIZERS
L'Occitane - Mom and Baby Balm 0
California Baby Calendula Cream 1
Shikai Borage Dry Skin Therapy Lotion 2

DEODORANTS
Tom's of Maine - Natural Long-Lasting Deodorant Lemongrass 0
Almay Antiperspirant & Deodorant, Clear Gel, Unscented 1
Ban Classic Invisible Solid Antiperspirant & Deodorant, Unscented 1

SHAMPOOS
Pantene - Brunette Expressions Shampoo 1
Free & Clear Shampoo for Sensitive Skin & Scalp 1
California Baby Shampoo & Bodywash Super Sensitive 1

CONDITIONERS
Beauty Without Cruelty Conditioner, Rosemary Mint Tea Tree 2
Aubrey Organics GPB Glycogen Protein Balancing Conditioner 2
Aubrey Organics - Honeysuckle Rose 2

FACE MOISTURIZERS
Kiss My Face Under Age 1
Aubrey Organics Rosa Mosqueta Rose Hip Moisturizing Cream 2

FLOSS
Tom's of Maine-Naturally Waxed Anti-Plaque Round or Flat Floss, Unflavored 0

TOOTHPASTE
Tom's of Maine Natural Antiplaque plus Whitening Gel Toothpaste, Spearmint 1

I ordered most of these products from Vitacost.com and Drugstore.com, and am so pleased that it will not be as difficult to switch over as I previously thought.

Now does anyone know where I can check the toxicity of common household cleaners like Seventh Generation, Method, etc?? I don't feel that I can rely on "the brand" any more. As you can see above, L'Oreal, Ban, and Almay have the rare 1 toxicitiy product, yet I have seen toxicity ratings of 7 on some products from Kiss My Face and Jason Organics!!

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
For household cleaning, I use peroxide, vinegar, and baking soda. Sometimes I use Bon Ami powder, and sometimes Dr. Bronner's all purpose soap.

For dishwashing, I use Ecover dish soap, and Ecover dishwasher tablets.

For Laundry, I use Seventh Generation.

I also love microfiber dusting/glass cleaning cloths.

For beauty/cosmetics, I use Aubrey Organics facial, hair, and body care products, and Jane Iredale and Earth's beauty makeup. (I formerly used Desert Essence Organics shampoos, but lately they started making my scalp itch. So I changed to Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose. I use this for the dogs, too.)

Aubrey Organics facial moisturizers are great. I use the Sea Buckthorn.

Oops, forgot toothpaste. I sometimes use a mix of baking soda and coconut oil, or I use a Tea Tree Oil toothpaste, I forget the brand name right now. It's low on the toxicity.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Sophia.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Tom's of Maine is actually now owned by Colgate-Palmolive, so they aren't as good as they used to be. I like Dr. Bronner's products too. I use their lip balm. The only thing I use for lotions is organic almond oil and organic raw shea butter. Any brand is fine, but I use the oils from the "Now" brand. They are a blue bottle with bright yellow-orange label. I use Hugo Naturals for shampoo and conditioner. They come in tons of scents and use all natural ingredients. Aubrey Organics is what I use for hair gel. It's the only brand of natural hair gel that I've been able to find that actually works with my naturally curly wild mess of hair. For toothpaste, I started using ToothSoap. It's made from coconut oil, olive oil, and a few essential oils. You should look it up. No added anything. No nasty stuff at all. It's cool that you are using the Skin Deep database thing. I always love looking through it.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Suzan!

One thing I read today from EWG that was really alarming was that they find so much PBA in canned foods....I've been feeding MM canned food since I got her!! They didn't test pet food...but they found really high levels of PBA in all canned foods??? Does anyone know if this is true for pet food? I'm sure lots of members feed canned food to their malts!

You know, it's too bad the Ecover dishwasher tablets don't work for me at all.

I'll order the Bon Ami power and the Dr. Bronner's all purpose soap!!

Thanks for the tip on Aubrey Organics! I like all of the products I've tried from them....Too bad some of their products are still high in toxicity!

For household cleaning, I use peroxide, vinegar, and baking soda. Sometimes I use Bon Ami powder, and sometimes Dr. Bronner's all purpose soap.

For dishwashing, I use Ecover dish soap, and Ecover dishwasher tablets.

For Laundry, I use Seventh Generation.

I also love microfiber dusting/glass cleaning cloths.

For beauty/cosmetics, I use Aubrey Organics facial, hair, and body care products, and Jane Iredale and Earth's beauty makeup. (I formerly used Desert Essence Organics shampoos, but lately they started making my scalp itch. So I changed to Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose. I use this for the dogs, too.)

Aubrey Organics facial moisturizers are great. I use the Sea Buckthorn.

Oops, forgot toothpaste. I sometimes use a mix of baking soda and coconut oil, or I use a Tea Tree Oil toothpaste, I forget the brand name right now. It's low on the toxicity.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Sophia.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tom's of Maine is actually now owned by Colgate-Palmolive, so they aren't as good as they used to be. I like Dr. Bronner's products too. I use their lip balm. The only thing I use for lotions is organic almond oil and organic raw shea butter. Any brand is fine, but I use the oils from the "Now" brand. They are a blue bottle with bright yellow-orange label. I use Hugo Naturals for shampoo and conditioner. They come in tons of scents and use all natural ingredients. Aubrey Organics is what I use for hair gel. It's the only brand of natural hair gel that I've been able to find that actually works with my naturally curly wild mess of hair. For toothpaste, I started using ToothSoap. It's made from coconut oil, olive oil, and a few essential oils. You should look it up. No added anything. No nasty stuff at all. It's cool that you are using the Skin Deep database thing. I always love looking through it.
Thanks! Wait, surely EWG would update the ratings if the ingredients/manufacturing process were changed for Tom's of Maine?

I did notice that all the organic almond oil, organic shea butter, organic jojoba oil were 0 toxicity. I didn't order it because I thought it would be kind of greasy? Do you just get used to that, or does it absorb well?

I'll look up ToothSoap! Does it taste oily? Or is there some minty stuff to make you feel "fresh?"

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Thanks! Wait, surely EWG would update the ratings if the ingredients/manufacturing process were changed for Tom's of Maine?

I did notice that all the organic almond oil, organic shea butter, organic jojoba oil were 0 toxicity. I didn't order it because I thought it would be kind of greasy? Do you just get used to that, or does it absorb well?

I'll look up ToothSoap! Does it taste oily? Or is there some minty stuff to make you feel "fresh?"
I'll post you a link to ToothSoap. It comes in LOTS of different flavors. Mint included. They keep improving it too. It doesn't taste oily, but it is thin if you get the liquid kind. You just use the eye-dropper that comes with the bottle and put 5 or 6 drops in your mouth then sort of swirl them around on your teeth and brush like normal. It'll make suds! You can get gel and chips now too. I've only used the liquid though, but its all good. I've tried the black cherry, chocolate mint, peppermint, and ginger so far. Funky at first, but not bad. If you sign up for their email list, the owner will email you all kinds of funny stories and jokes. She's kind of a flower-child hippy, but way cool. They also send out discounts and deals through their email newsletters. BOGO, 25% off, etc.

Clean Your Teeth with Tooth Soap, Tooth Brightener, Tooth Swish & Other Dental & Health Products (ToothSoap.com)

I'm not sure Tom's of Maine changed their formula when they got bought-out, I just don't trust them 100% anymore, not to hide the bad stuff and call it something safe-sounding.

The almond oil is not too bad. As long as you only use a little drop or two, it will moisturize well and not be greasy. The trick is to not use too much, or you will be a greaseball!. I think I like it the most because its not scented. So much lotion and cream just plain stinks to me.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll post you a link to ToothSoap. It comes in LOTS of different flavors. Mint included. They keep improving it too. It doesn't taste oily, but it is thin if you get the liquid kind. You just use the eye-dropper that comes with the bottle and put 5 or 6 drops in your mouth then sort of swirl them around on your teeth and brush like normal. It'll make suds! You can get gel and chips now too. I've only used the liquid though, but its all good. I've tried the black cherry, chocolate mint, peppermint, and ginger so far. Funky at first, but not bad. If you sign up for their email list, the owner will email you all kinds of funny stories and jokes. She's kind of a flower-child hippy, but way cool. They also send out discounts and deals through their email newsletters. BOGO, 25% off, etc.

Clean Your Teeth with Tooth Soap, Tooth Brightener, Tooth Swish & Other Dental & Health Products (ToothSoap.com)

I'm not sure Tom's of Maine changed their formula when they got bought-out, I just don't trust them 100% anymore, not to hide the bad stuff and call it something safe-sounding.

The almond oil is not too bad. As long as you only use a little drop or two, it will moisturize well and not be greasy. The trick is to not use too much, or you will be a greaseball!. I think I like it the most because its not scented. So much lotion and cream just plain stinks to me.
So interesting! I keep reading "gel and chips"....what does that mean? They make toothpaste in chips?

I'll try the oil! A couple drops sounds like it could be good...and probably pretty spreadable too!

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is a good thing to mop floors with?
I just looked up Floorcleaner on the Good Guide. You'll never believe this, the one scoring highest for health is

Clorox ReadyMop Advanced Floor Cleaner (score of 8 out of 10)
Surprise!

But if you use an all-purpose cleaner, you can get higher rated ones like
Method All Purpose Dilutable Cleaner (8.7 for health)

But what the heck, Seventh Generation All-Purpose Cleaner, Free and Clear, scores a whoppingly low 4 for health!!!!!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
So interesting! I keep reading "gel and chips"....what does that mean? They make toothpaste in chips?

I'll try the oil! A couple drops sounds like it could be good...and probably pretty spreadable too!
The gel is probably just the liquid thickened somehow to resemble actual toothpaste gel, and the chips are solid pieces of "soap" that you use to brush your teeth. You lay a chip or two on your back molar and then bite down to spread it around a bit. Then the action and water used in brushing your teeth will help dissolve it and distribute it through your mouth.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The gel is probably just the liquid thickened somehow to resemble actual toothpaste gel, and the chips are solid pieces of "soap" that you use to brush your teeth. You lay a chip or two on your back molar and then bite down to spread it around a bit. Then the action and water used in brushing your teeth will help dissolve it and distribute it through your mouth.
So fancy! Thanks for the explanation!

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Although I think that EWG/Cosmetic Safety Database is an excellent tool, over the years I have had to be careful not to over rely on it's total numbers ratings on certain products without going into further detail on their ratings of certain ingredients, or by the trial and error of using some products.

What one must weigh is the amount used, and whether they are diluting the product with water, whether it is being rinsed out/off. Usually, if a product is fragrance free, and you aren't inhaling large amounts of it over a long time period, or ingesting the product, the one or two ingredients that are "questionable" according to EWG probably won't affect you or 99% of people.

It's the total toxic load of all your home products/beauty products added together that folks must take into consideration. And EWG is excellent for that.

I have an issue with EWG's poor ratings on products that contain some ingredients like certain essentials oils, grapefruit seed extract, citric acid, grain alcohol, and carrageenan. These ingredients, while known to be irritating to many, and a definite hazard if ingested or used in large amounts, are not nearly as toxic as most synthetic chemicals. If one has to buy all products labed 0-3, it might be unsatisfactory. Been there, done that. Some of the products didn't work at all. Some of them are very expensive, or are had to find. Some of them, I just don't like, lol. But the majority are fine.

I think that if a product is being rated around a 3-5 on their chart, and it is because the product contains one or two of the above items I've mentioned which increases the overall score, but are still fairly innocuous to most, is far different from ratings for a synthetic chemical that is a definite neurotoxin or carcinogen (like artificial fragrance or formaldehyde.)

EWG/Cosmetic Safety Database is an excellent tool, and I use it all the time. But even their information is subject to interpretation, and personal trial and error.

I hope that this helps.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I just looked up Floorcleaner on the Good Guide. You'll never believe this, the one scoring highest for health is

Clorox ReadyMop Advanced Floor Cleaner (score of 8 out of 10)
Surprise!

But if you use an all-purpose cleaner, you can get higher rated ones like
Method All Purpose Dilutable Cleaner (8.7 for health)

But what the heck, Seventh Generation All-Purpose Cleaner, Free and Clear, scores a whoppingly low 4 for health!!!!!
Thank you so much for that!!! This thread got me to thinking about how much my little ones lick their paws and what they must be ingesting in the way of cleaning product :blink:

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Although I think that EWG/Cosmetic Safety Database is an excellent tool, over the years I have had to be careful not to over rely on it's total numbers ratings on certain products without going into further detail on their ratings of certain ingredients, or by the trial and error of using some products.

What one must weigh is the amount used, and whether they are diluting the product with water, whether it is being rinsed out/off. Usually, if a product is fragrance free, and you aren't inhaling large amounts of it over a long time period, or ingesting the product, the one or two ingredients that are "questionable" according to EWG probably won't affect you or 99% of people.

It's the total toxic load of all your home products/beauty products added together that folks must take into consideration. And EWG is excellent for that.

I have an issue with EWG's poor ratings on products that contain some ingredients like certain essentials oils, grapefruit seed extract, citric acid, grain alcohol, and carrageenan. These ingredients, while known to be irritating to many, and a definite hazard if ingested or used in large amounts, are not nearly as toxic as most synthetic chemicals. If one has to buy all products labed 0-3, it can be unsatisfactory. Been there, done that. Some of the products don't work at all. Some of them are very expensive, or are had to find. Some of them, I just don't like, lol.

I think that if a product is being rated around a 3-5 on their chart, and it is because the product contains one or two of the above items I've mentioned which increases the overall score, but are still fairly innocuous to most, is far different from ratings for a synthetic chemical that is a definite neurotoxin or carcinogen (like artificial fragrance or formaldehyde.)

EWG/Cosmetic Safety Database is an excellent tool, and I use it all the time. But even their information is subject to interpretation, and personal trial and error.

I hope that this helps.
Seriously it IS really hard to find products in the 0-2 score range! That's why it took me so long! And that is why I also cross checked with Makeupalley.com. Because most people on that forum just care about efficacy, and don't care about toxicity!

I'm sure what you're saying is true about the scoring being too strict! Actually, I have tried most of the items I listed 0-2, and I really like most of them! So that was such a pleasant surprise!! But it does stink if the scoring system excludes certain items that are perfectly fine for most of the population!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts