Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am getting worried because i do not know if this is normal in all maltese or a red flag for taking my dog to the vet.

i have read all the posts pertaining to running in circles around the house, yard, etc and it seems like it is pretty common. however, i know when i see tessa doing these circles, sometimes i think she is crazy. i am almost shocked because its sudden unexplainable behavior. she does this when she is playing on her own, with toys, rolls of toilet paper, balls, etc. she also does the circles when she sees someone leaving or coming to the house. she does about 3 circles when its on her own, if i am playing with her she will run about 6. usually when i pick her up, her heart is racing and she is out of breath, but this seems justified considering she has been running so fast.

anyhow, just wondering if you guys can help. should i be concerned? she seems healthy to me but i am a little worried about this because i've never seen it before with my other dog.

thanks guys! i had so many questions today. i really appreciate all your replies.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
That sounds prefectly normal to me, Tessa does sound a little hyper lol but she is a puppy. If she is alone during the day she proubly is sleeping all day then when you see he is has loads of energy lol.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Totally normal! You may have read about puppy nascar or the Izzy 500 (love that one
) We call it 'taking a Taz' like the tazmanian devil cartoon.
Who knew a little innocent looking malt could hold that much energy

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
We call it the zoomies. Sylphide used to do it on her own, now it's the two of them in a frantic race.

At least Tessa is going around the couch. Sylphide likes to include bounces on the couch as part of her racecourse :D

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
We call it Blitzing. Jolie, our Bichon, did it when she was a pup and now both Malts do it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yup, it's totally normal behavior. (Or most of our pups are also abnormal) LOL When she starts the Izzy 500 we just stand back. She goes about a hundred miles an hour, she doesn't even stop for a pit stop, she races round and round and just as suddenly as she starts she will stop. We just aplaud and give her a trophy, what else can ya do?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
phew!!!! what a relief! she looks like she has lots of fun doing it! thank you so much for the replies, i was nervously awaiting some feedback....

you guys are the best!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brink does this too...not as much as when he was a pup, but he still will. Mostly he does it right after bath...and he runs crazy, jumps on the couch and chair and ROLLS everywhere...matting up his fresh clean/brushed ears and coat.
That is the only part I hate...
The crazy runs crack my kids up! They think he is
!

Tessa sounds fun! Full of energy and spunk! Big hugs to her!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
sprite has her little track around the living room and dining room. i think its to burn off extra energy. gruffi chases her while she does it...its really cute because she runs sooo fast under the tables and couches...so gruffi has to wait till she comes out from under them again. lol

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
We call it the Beastie 500, and he goes so fast that he actually leans when taking corners. Changing course in the middle is amazing to watch. We love this daily event, especially when he does it around one of us sitting on the floor, and sometimes uses us as a jump point during the race.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I think you are probably confusing it with "walking in circles" which I think some maltese do because either they have liver shunts, have been in crates their whole lifes (not sure if this is true) or have some other kind of neurological problems. I have heard it being mentioned on both forums but I am not sure what it actually looks like. It definitely doesn't sound as if Tessa is doing that!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
We also call it Zoomies. LOL
Mishka started this when he was a wee pup but now Keeko joins him in it. Soooooo funny to watch that I cant help laughing. Keeko is real clever tho he learns where to take shortcuts and save on energy then he ambushes Mishka when he least expects it. Ours not only do the inside the house part but also out the ranchslider down the drive.. around the house and back inside to start again.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Harley does it also. They must be burning off extra energy. He had a BIg day today-he went over to my daughters house and played with her dog for over an hr and he was exhausted when he came home
He needed that!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yup, normal!! We call it the "Malt 500" at our house. Seems to strike at any given time, but usually when someone comes "home" even if it's just after they get the mail and come back into the house!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Normal!! We call it Oh ooooooo,thier doing "The Zoom" they do it every night at our house. Now that we have the 3 of them its CRAZY
They take turn being in the lead,one will start then they will shift positions and another will take the lead and the Zoom is on!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts