Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am growing Lilly's hair out around her eyes and nose. It is taking a long time and I am being patience but how do you keep the hair down? It seems like her eyes are always blocked by the hair standing up. Do you use a jell of some sort? Which is the best?

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
When I first got London, I let her coat grow out and I never used anything to keep the hair down. I just made her tolerate it for a few weeks, and then it was long enough to stay down on its own for the most part.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Any gel will work. I have tried a few. Stay away from hairsprays, they tend to cause coat to break. Be patient it takes a while but it will be worth it.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
It takes a VERY long time to grow that part out once it's been cut. I just waited thru the 2-3 weeks it was in that funky 'between" stage and then it was fine. I tried a tad bit of gel to lay it down, but was afraid it would burn her eyes if she teared at all, so I only did it a time or 2. Like I said, I just kinda waited it out and then it was ok. .

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. It does take forever to grow. I have used some gel and I keep combing it. Her face get dirty way before the rest of her. I try to wash her face but end up getting the face and front legs wet. ( she just doesn't like holding still). I just ordered some waterless (rinse free) shampoo (I forget what it's called but I think someone here talked about it). Maybe that will make things easier. I'll keep hope that the hair will know to sit down on it's own.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Cindy, to wash her face without getting her whole body wet you can do a few things. First, you can put a bib on her. Second, you can use a tooth brush to wet the area that needs washing, then use the brush to scrub in the soap, and then rinse the toothbrush and use it again to rinse the soap out. I sometimes use a cosemetic pad to rinse since the toothbrush takes a while. I bought a flea comb and use that to remove any fuzzies that are stuck and any eye gunk that collects before I wash the face.

Also, I have used a comb that I have gotten wet with warm water to get out some dirt that sticks even after washing, but don't use the comb before wetting the entire area - you will run the risk of breaking hair especially if you are using any type of gel!

As far as keeping the hair down - I just let it go until it was long enough to keep itself down but by brushing it several times a day it seemed to help the hair train itself to lay the way I wanted.

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love the toothbrush suggestion. I'll have to give that a try.
I'm telling you I always find something new here.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Any hair styling gel will work fine to train and keep the hair away from the eyes. Just stay away from gels that have alcohol in them as alcohol is very drying to the coat.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
love the toothbrush suggestion too , cause i usually use a flea comb to take off the lil eye boogies, i will be using a lil bit of gel too cause i have same prob w dolce.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
I use the flea comb to get out the goopies - then use the toothbrush to clean the area. If you try to get the goopies out with the toothbrush you will smeer them and it makes a big ol'mess.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts