Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 12 week old puppy. i had him for bout a week now. he was eating a little until yesterday. i feed him eukanuba for small dog breeds and canned food. i would like any suggestions on feeding. i have grown too attached to him to take him back to the breeder that got him from and to get another maltese.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Did you mention this to the vet when you visited about the shivering?

WhenI first brought Tiki home I was surprised that he would often skip a meal, but act normally. If you are very concerned call the vet. You could also try to had a little minced chicken or broth to his food to get him to eat, but he could decide he likes this more then puppy food and refuse to eat without the additions.

Judi

·
Registered
54 Posts
sometimes if they do not eat I find that they had something that did not agree with them and they are resting their tummies

they ussually go back to their hungry selves in the evening or next day

longer that that I would be worried

I call the vets nurse and asks all sorts of questions and if she thinks it necessary to bring any of them in then I do just that

good luck

I found that putting chicken broth on top of the odggie food helped and bits of chicken but Bonnie tends to eat all the chicken and leave the rest for Benji :lol:

then next feeding he does exactly the same

hope all works out soon

·
Registered
21 Posts
Maltese are very picky eaters. First ask your vet if their is someting to be worried about. The first month with Fay was very frustrating because she wouldn't eat the same thing two days in a row. I tried everithing. From 3 different kinds of dog food to eggs and hot dogs. I could spent hours trying to make her eat and preparing different meals. I realized I was spoiling her rotten. So, I decided not to make her eat if she didn't wanted to, I took away the food and offered it every 2 hours. Eventually, after over 30 hours without eating, she became so hungry that she ate whitout hessitation. Now she eats everyday around 9pm. Dogs have to get used to an eating schedule (not theirs, YOURS!). If your vet tells you there's nothing wrong (as mine told me) you could try this.

·
Registered
994 Posts
When i first got Maxi the first week he wasnt eating i wa so nervous i was giving him the nutri cal 4 times a day i was feeding him scrambled eggs
with syrup on them all sorts of stuff ( thats what the breeder told me to do) well thank god i took maxi to the vet because he had coccida and an upper respitory so thats why he wasnt eating
anyway i nursed him back

1 - 8 of 8 Posts