Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kitzel saw the vet yesterday for 3 issues---none serious.
He does a funny little skip every few steps---seems to be back left leg. She examined him thoroughly & pulled & bent---no pain. She said she is pretty certain it isn't LP---Yeah---but she could not determine cause. She was certain enough to not recommend exray at this point. She gave him a pain shot & we are to "observe" him. So far there are no changes---still hopping especially when he is going at a quick little clip. Does anyone have experience like this?:smilie_tischkante:

Started him on some supplement & will keep under observation. He goes back next Tues. for surgery to remove at least half of his baby teeth. We will probably do this twice. He does paw at his face & we think he is in pain---his mouth is very small anyhow and he has zillions of teeth!:w00t:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Bailey does the same little skip every few steps. Now she does not do it all the time but I notice it happens more when she starts to walk faster. I have taken her to the vet and he says she seems to be fine and healthy.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
just curious are they putting him under twice to remove baby teeth? I would recommend removing all baby teeth one time as dex had 10 baby teeth removed and this way they do not have to put under twice and much safer

While under I would have them do a good xray just to make sure no issues as he will be out so they can get really good views

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
just curious are they putting him under twice to remove baby teeth? I would recommend removing all baby teeth one time as dex had 10 baby teeth removed and this way they do not have to put under twice and much safer

While under I would have them do a good xray just to make sure no issues as he will be out so they can get really good views
:goodpost: Tyler had 8 removed during his neuter. And he was fine afterwards.Good luck.

·
Premium Member
17,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Were the teeth loose ?---most of his are VERY firm.

She advises against neuter at this point---in the US they neuter much earlier. I am lucky to have a vet who will even do it here. Also, he was bought as "show" dog and I am waffling on whether or not to wait until my decision not to show is firm---I go back & forth on this & don't want to regret it.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Were the teeth loose ?---most of his are VERY firm.

She advises against neuter at this point---in the US they neuter much earlier. I am lucky to have a vet who will even do it here. Also, he was bought as "show" dog and I am waffling on whether or not to wait until my decision not to show is firm---I go back & forth on this & don't want to regret it.
no none were loose he just looked like shark boy lol

·
Premium Member
4,906 Posts
Dixie had 13 baby teeth removed during her spay. The vet did recommend rescheduling in 2 wks. until canines fell out or were loose which we did. He said canines are really in there and they can have a lot of discomfort if they are pulled when not even loose. He thought the discomfort of the spay was enough for her to handle.
When she was a little puppy she hopped a lot. She looked like a bunny some times.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Harley does this on occasion too - I had him checked a couple of years ago - and as Jackie suggested, they also x-rayed his hips .... never did find anything wrong. He was very thoroughly checked out at the time - vet even had me outside running around with Harley on lead so he could see him do it.

When he does it now, I just think of it as his little 'happy skip' :)

·
Premium Member
17,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all of you---have had maltese 39 yrs. and never had to pull any teeth or had a little bunny-hop one!
Thanks JMM will take that advice to the vet on Tues!

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
My Missy did do the little "skip/hop" mostly say after she'd been on bed and I put her down.. a few steps and she acted fine... then it became a bit more so. In her case it was a problem with torn A-cruciate ligament.

·
Premium Member
17,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In our case the skip-hop started only about 2 wks. ago and is getting progressively more pronounced. He isn't exactly hopping like a bunny---more of a run/skip, run/skip---seems mostly to be on back left side but last night he also did it on the right side---it is very noticeable now. He is 7 months old. We know that there has been NO injury and he doesn't do stairs at all, ever.
I plan to do the hip exrays while he is "out" on Tues as JMM suggested. I would prefer to be sure!
Thanks all.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Toy dogs can also have hip dysplasia and other traditionally "big dog" problems. The dog may be perfectly normal but why pass up an ideal opportunity to be sure.
i agree jmm as lucy is getting dental and I am doing the same thing with her back left leg so I will add hip xray too as when she sleeps for a little while when she gets up her back left leg dangles and is loose and then she manipulates it and then runs like crazy. She jumps on back legs, and seems perfectly normal but it looks really bad when she first gets up and dh always says what is up with that back left leg it is jacked up so when she goes under for dental I will have them do that as well as xray trachea as she honks when she gets excited and is definitely different than reverse sneeze. She is really hyper so i am going to get this all done while out for dental so we can figure what is going on. I need to video it for vet and will post as I have never seen anything like this in any of my other three and it is either LP or hip related so thanks for posting this as will have hip looked at too.

I am really nervous to put her under for dental with this honking stuff too :( but her teeth are really bad :(

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
In our case the skip-hop started only about 2 wks. ago and is getting progressively more pronounced. He isn't exactly hopping like a bunny---more of a run/skip, run/skip---seems mostly to be on back left side but last night he also did it on the right side---it is very noticeable now. He is 7 months old. We know that there has been NO injury and he doesn't do stairs at all, ever.
I plan to do the hip exrays while he is "out" on Tues as JMM suggested. I would prefer to be sure!
Thanks all.
make sure to do hip and leg as you want them to look at everything as could be hip or LP

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Izzy hops and skips. I take her to a canine chiropractor and have her adjusted monthly as well as an exercise regimen that keeps it under control. She has grade one LP's and her hips get very tight and out of alignment.

Many may think it's crazy but it works very well for us

1 - 20 of 22 Posts