Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m struggling. You guys know me as Wilson and Coopers mom, and the dog searcher, but there’s another part of me. Much of my career experience has been as a senior care expert. I’ve pretty much done it all without becoming a nurse. I’ve done home care, assisted living and nursing home activities, admissions director, senior care ministry, senior property management and worked as a healthcare worker/family/outreach trainer and volunteer coordinator for one of the largest dementia care groups in the world. Dementia care is my love, along with pups, and it’s where I’m most helpful to this world. I left the field about 10 years ago and my immune system crashed.

With all that said, I’m struggling right now with the lack of transparency in our town regarding facility outbreaks, care efforts and staffing shortages in senior care. They need my experience, and I need to help. People can’t let go and not have someone there to love them. I can do that, I can bring that ministry to them.

I still have one Grandma living, and she is only 10 minutes from my home and she has dementia (not all consuming though). We are very close. They’ve been locked down for a month and will be for at least a couple of more months. She thinks she’s in jail and sometimes the hospital. I want to volunteer there so that I can be there for her, and the many others that need someone, even support the staff. The problem is that I don’t know if my body can handle the Coronavirus if I were to contact it. I have autoimmune and heart issues etc. I am very aware of safety precautions though, and I am very ocd. I do have a few N95 masks, goggles and a face shield. My husband will not like the idea, but sometimes the right thing is the hard thing. I’d love your feedback and suggestions as I decide the best way to move forward 💕.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
That's a hard question Brigette. Is there any way you could just be there for these people virtually. Maybe set up a time you could talk to each one of them from home. This way they would feel like they have someone with them but it would be safer for everyone concerned.
Here in Canada the virus is spreading through senior homes out of control. Some homes have reported pretty much every resident and most of the staff sick. If its as bad where you are then personally I think it would be too risky for you to go there given your health conditions. I'm not a person who likes to take risks so probably not the right person to give an opinion.

·
Super Moderator
9,645 Posts
Bridget,

I know you care deeply, but with your health issues, it is really not a good idea to put yourself out there. It is also not a great idea to be among the the most vulnerable given your susepetability to the virus. But there are things that you can do an are being done here. Make bird feeders donate them to nursing homes or ask permission to put them up. Give your name to staff as a contact person if family member might want to get in touch and send pictures and then go outside windows and use your phone or computers to show the pictures. Make funny little colorful decorations that can be hung on the outside of windows to bright someones day.

·
Premium Member
24,149 Posts
Bridget, you have such a giving heart if it were me I would stay at home, maybe you could connect someone who could give you things to do without jeopardizing your health
I will keep you in my prayers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts