Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work in the computer field incase you dont know and I was talking to some of my co-workers about how a lot of people have cancer that work around us. I work at a FAA tech center were we test a lot of computer systems. There is a LOT of equiptment in our labs and working in there all day long HAS to cause CANCER. Radiation causes cancer, right? I was told our home PC's have radiation too.. but is it a lot?
I'm not even exaggerating when i say this but ... i started this job last year in july and since then I know of 5 people that have either died... or been diagnosed with cancer... they all have been working here for at least 10yrs each. Those are only the people my team know... there are sooo many other project teams at this tech center... and I can only imagin how many more people have cancer in those.

Do you think i'm being paranoid?? I guess I am but there is radiation from all this equiptment.
WHY did I pick computer science to be my major?!? And the money isnt even that good...

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I think to cause cancer radiation has to be quite significant and I am not sure that there is significant output of radiation from computers. What kind of cancers are people around you being diagnosed with? How old are they? Cancer is one of the leading causes of death and its not always the environmental exposure (although they definitely do contribute). I would first try to figure out if there is radiation output from computers and if so, how much before I would worry

PS. I was living 90 miles from Chernobyl accident when it happened in Russia (and then we lived there for at least another 4 or 5 years) and I am still here

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Kodie, you’re definitely correct. You’re not being paranoid. I'm failure with the kind of environment you are working in. I used to work in an environment that had a lot of computers too.
I mean a lot. I used to suffer from mild migraines. After working in that environment I suffered from daily migraines, consent pain. I would go through a bottle 30 of Tylenol a week. I could not even think let alone put down my head to get sleep as touching the pillow hurt as well. I was put on medication just so I could make it through the day. A lot of people in our department suffered from all types of illness. Since I have gotten my self out of that environment, eating organic food, omoises water and actupuncher treatment. My daily migraines are gone now. Thank the lord. I still get migraines but not the kind that I suffered from while being in that environment.
I also think it was the air in that department as well at working 12 hour shifts.
All computers give off radiation as well at T.V's but since it is a small amount no one is concerned about it. I have noticed a lot of people suffering all kinds of illness while working with a lot of computers. I think it is a combination of being over worked. This new thing of 24X7 is not good for anyone’s body. Lack of clean air circulating and no exercise. In addition, I've also noticed a lot of nurses getting sick too. Most of my mom’s friends are nurses and they are all suffering from something.
Even when purchasing newly build homes you have to ask will the homes be built new power lines, gas stations.

Although it is nice to have stores open on holidays and Sunday if you need to pick something up. I am one that shops on Sunday as my job does not allow enough time during the week to complete any personal chores. I do believe that people should have a designated day off for resting.

This Go, Go, Go society is not benefiting anyone not even big companies as they end up paying more out for illness and benefits. We need to go back to 9- 5 and Sunday’s off.
People would be healthier and have more time to spend with there children after school and on the weekends. We would have more time to take care of ourselves and exercise.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
EVERYTHING has radiation: cellphones, microwaves(scientist dont even know long term effects of microwaves), tvs, laser pointers....etc

there are even some buildings that are built by my house saying "chemicals in the building cause cancer".

but......i think 5 people sounds like a lot.
but i dont know.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@May 27 2005, 12:38 PM
EVERYTHING has radiation: cellphones, microwaves(scientist dont even know long term effects of microwaves), tvs, laser pointers....etc

I'm always telling my kids to stay away from the mocrowave, they like to watch popcorn pop etc. I'm like "MOVE AWAY FROM THE MICROWAVE....unless you want to end up like your cousin, Dameon." (he's not mentally ill or anything, but whatever his damage is I think it came from the microwave, I don't want to believe it's genetics.
)

-c

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldnt mind as much if its only one computer I was in a room with.. but there are anywhere from 50 -60 computers in this one small room... plus servers and other hardware to have everything connected and running correctly. I think all that combine creates a lot of raditation.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I would have thought the company would provide filters for the computer screens to help avoid too much radiation to the user. I know I read in the instructions that came with my lap top that I shouldn't sit too close to it because of the radiation so I use a separate keyboard and sit well back. I think it said not to sit within 8" of the antenna which is on the front of my lap top.
I worked with a lady who was on the computer the entire time of her days and she died from a cancer that developed in her chest cavity. That was so very sad and they did say it could have come from her computer. It's scary really when you think of how many people these days are constantly working on computers.
Also probably some people are more susceptable than others too. It may effect one person and not another under the same circumstances.

Janet and Scooby

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
carrie!!! LOL!!! your'e soo funny.

another way to make popcorn.....get a pan with a lid, add a little olive oil or veggie oil, and then like half a cup of popcorn kernels. and then you just have to make sure your kids dont catch on fire LOL :D

·
Registered
942 Posts
Originally posted by okw@May 27 2005, 07:30 AM
PS.  I was living 90 miles from Chernobyl accident when it happened in Russia (and then we lived there for at least another 4 or 5 years) and I am still here
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=66018
[/QUOTE]
This reminded me of a site that my bf emailed me a few years ago...I am sure some of you already have visited this site about Chernobyl...some chick takes her motorcycle through areas of Chernobyl and takes pictures, etc. She added some new information which I didn't know about until today when I searched for her site. It's awesome!
Go here: Chernobyl site

~Elegant

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant+Jun 5 2005, 05:54 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-okw
@May 27 2005, 07:30 AM
PS.  I was living 90 miles from Chernobyl accident when it happened in Russia (and then we lived there for at least another 4 or 5 years) and I am still here
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=66018
This reminded me of a site that my bf emailed me a few years ago...I am sure some of you already have visited this site about Chernobyl...some chick takes her motorcycle through areas of Chernobyl and takes pictures, etc. She added some new information which I didn't know about until today when I searched for her site. It's awesome!
Go here: Chernobyl site

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69355
[/B][/QUOTE]

I have never seen this site. Thanks!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts