Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...PLEASE...no lectures on "How bad it is to purchase a petstore puppy"- I know all of that....

BUT....

now I know why they say don't even go in if you think you might be tempted.

Yesterday- well, actually night before last..., my husband was working out of town overnight. He had some time to kill in the evening, so he went to the mall. They had one of the mall petstores...I think it was called PassPets...it is in Nashville...
He came home and told me that there was a Maltese in there. A female, and that she was terribly cute, but awfully dirty and not taken care of. He said she looked to be in a longer puppy cut, but looked matted and unkempt. She had a bow in, but it was dirty and falling out. He said she barked and wagged her little tail and went nuts when he stepped in front of her. He felt really bad for her.

He said he finally had to walk out when a "mean teenage worker" as he called her...came over to the cages and "screamed" at some little husky puppies because they were barking and playing with each other
..."duh" they are puppies!!!!!! :eek: He said there were three in the pen...and they were having a good time romping and playing with each other...but would stop to bark at the people watching them, when one would bark, it of course would start up the whole group of them.

Anyway, he did leave...and he is not as "learned" as me about the ills of purchasing from a petstore. He felt really bad for the little pups, especially the maltese...and he said he was glad that I had not gone in...because I would have been financing a dog payment.
He said he knew me too well, and that I would have never been able to walk away from that little face.
He is probably right, because all I could think about the rest of the evening was the puppy sitting in there. Wondering if anyone ever took her out to play with her, or brush her. Wondered how much she cost and where she came from. Wondering what happened at night when everyone went home...I just can't stop thinking about it. Isn't that awful!? I wish he had never told me! I can't afford it anyway...even if I WAS to purchase one from there...they are way to expensive in those stores...and have no history...I know all about all that. Then I wonder who will get her...will they buy her just b/c she is cute, and has the fluffy fur and the bow...and not know anything about what they are doing/getting into? I just can't stop WONDERING about everything!!!!!!

Ugh! :ph34r:
Anyway, thanks for letting me share and not heaping the lectures....

·
Registered
831 Posts
tlunn, I totally know how you feeling. That is the same reson why I don't even look at the dogs when we pass by a pet store.

This past month in NY, we were walking and pass by a petstore it was a pretty small store and in the front windows they had a lot puppies playing. My husband stop to see them I didnt even look to see insideI just kept walking.
It just brakes my heart to see those poor babies there whyning, barking...huh
I just so upsate at that and I wonder the same thing what will happen to those puppies.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I used to be like this. As a kid I was always trying to talk my parents into one of the puppies. I think they passed a law in IA that petstores can't sell puppies & kittens anymore because I don't know of any that do. The one in my hometown went out of business and there was one at the mall in Davenport but that went out of business also. I've visited 3 locally owned pet stores in Des Moines and none of them sell puppies or kittens. The one I go to actually has a section runned by the ARL that brings in dogs and cats that need to be adopted.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I can't even go by those areas, the old Visa would have to be used. Don't understand people, the heartless ones. If I knew Puddles would not be taken care of if something happen to hubby and I, I would want him put to sleep and laid with me. Can't even think of him being placed in a pet store for sale.

hmmmmm, better think about god-parents

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Hey, Tlunn. Are you talking about the store in Hickory hollow Mall? I hate that mall. Anyway, I TOTALLY TOTALLY KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN. It's hard to walk out and not feel sad. I was there afew months ago and I saw the MOST beautiful girl maltese EVER. SO BEAUTIFUL. I wanted her SOOOOOOOOOOO badly. But 1500!?!?! IN NASHVILLE?!?!! Shut the heck up! I could have 3 healthy maltese witht that money! But I was begging my bf to let us get it. I'm just nuts (you guys tired of hearing me say that I'm nuts? I said it on every topic I'm in LOL).

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the mall..in Rivergate...my husband is originally from that area. He was doing some work in Franklin, KY...and went down to Rivergate to eat and waste time...we are going there in two weeks for a wedding...hope he can keep me away from the mall...

He has to...because I CANNOT afford a 1500 dollar dog...from a petstore....so....I hope some nice family buys her in the next two weeks... :ph34r:

If you were there a few months ago, she might be the same one...hubby said she looked about as big as Brinkley...
Hope not...that is a LONG time to live in a petstore...

GOTTA STOP THINKING ABOUT HER! -_-

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
HEHE...tlunn-hickory hollow is in Antioch. The rivergate mall is the mall you're talking about. I bet she's already gone. The girl I was talking about was in Hickory hollow and that was MONTHS ago. She was sold the very next day.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're right...duh...
Hickory Hollow is the one we go to on our way to Smyrna/Murfreesboro to visit family...it is the one off of Bell Road...
He was at the Rivergate one...Sorry...
That is more his area than mine...

Do you live in the Hickory Hollow area?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Yep yep! Not far from Hickory Hollow Mall. I use to be so happy that I moved closer to it, but now I HATE that mall. The only think I like about that mall is Gloria Jeans but they're closing in a couple of months. What am I gonna do w/o a gloria jeans. I HATE STARBUCKS! I think starbucks got nothing on Gloria Jeans.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Oct 9 2004, 11:56 AM
Yep yep!  Not far from Hickory Hollow Mall.  I use to be so happy that I moved closer to it, but now I HATE that mall.  The only think I like about that mall is Gloria Jeans but they're closing in a couple of months.  What am I gonna do w/o a gloria jeans.  I HATE STARBUCKS!  I think starbucks got nothing on Gloria Jeans.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=11591
[/QUOTE]

I LOVE Gloria Jeans!!!!!!!! (although I like Starbucks too!
)
Gloria Jean's was the first icey frappaccino thing I had....it was HEAVEN in a plastic cup! Now I get really excited when I see a GJ. Starbucks are good-but not as good as GJ.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Tlunn! YEP YEP! They have tons of flavors! My favorite is Sleigh ride chiller. They put crushed peppermint, cappucino chiller, and white chocolate. YUMMY IN THE TUMMY. Starbucks is BORING compared to GJ! But for some stupid reason, they are replacing the GJ in HHMall with STARBUCKS! I think alot of ppl probably like starbucks b/c it's "trendy" to drink there. I dont mean to trash them since I drink their coffee (they're everywhere now), but I like GJ by far!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I wish I didnt like coffee. But I LOVE flavored coffee. This is gonna sound vain (but I dont care), but I don't want to drink coffee b/c I don't want to look old/older. I don't want wrinkles and what not. teehee

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Oct 8 2004, 11:30 PM
That's the mall..in Rivergate...my husband is originally from that area. He was doing some work in Franklin, KY...and went down to Rivergate to eat and waste time...we are going there in two weeks for a wedding...hope he can keep me away from the mall...

He has to...because I CANNOT afford a 1500 dollar dog...from a petstore....so....I hope some nice family buys her in the next two weeks... :ph34r:

If you were there a few months ago, she might be the same one...hubby said she looked about as big as Brinkley...
Hope not...that is a LONG time to live in a petstore...

GOTTA STOP THINKING ABOUT HER! -_-
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=11570
[/QUOTE]

Gosh, I know what you all mean. It just breaks my heart to see those puppies in the cages in the pet stores. I generally do not go to those stores because it is just too sad. I am very lucky that in my town we have a pet supplies boutique that will not sell pets of any kind. It is just a wonderful place!

I wish there was a law against retailing puppies in stores ... there should be. I do think that the general public has no clue about where these poor babies come from.

Get this..... one of my town's "elite" citizens has a Maltese. She got him at a pet store. She said she didn't trust out of town breeders! Duh, where does she think this puppy came from. So she said she felt OK buying from a pet store (Petland) because they gave her the name of the breeder. She spoke with the breeder and that made her feel better!! I told her that any breeder who would sell her puppies to a pet store could not possibly be a "good" breeder. She was just terribly uninformed.

Petland has a sign saying that they don't buy from puppy mills. HOWEVER, they do buy from the Hunte Corporation, which is a HUGE puppy broker. Check this out:
http://www.thehuntecorporation.com/

Anyway, I wish there was something that could be done....

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I made the same mistake several months ago....I had some time to kill between appointments and walked into a Petland and walked out with a badly broken heart

I saw several Maltese puppies that looked playful enough but were standing on heavy wire and I knew that their parents were still in some puppymill somewhere in God knows what condition.

It wasnt just seeing the Malts that hurt, it was ALL the other puppies in there, being sold to who-knows-who and into who-knows-what situation. A grandmother was in the play area with two small male grandchildren playing with their potential pet.....a chihuahua! Not a terribly sturdy pet for young boys.

I felt that same "I want to RESCUE these puppies!" that others feel when they see petstore puppies and I just had to harden my heart because I REFUSE to enrich those who breed and sell this way.

My advice to myself: Stay away from petstores and use your energy to fight puppymills.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
hehe. Never ever go into a petstore UNLESS you tell yourself, "I'm not gonna be a sap" before you walk in. LOL I'm just messing w/you guys. That's pretty much what I have to tell myself..."look, but dont get sad."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts