Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 316 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, its gonna be a long story sorry. Tuesday when I came home, he was okay, but I could tell he wasn't feeling good. He's usually so playful, but not so much this day. He also didn't seem to interested in his treat that I always give him while we eat dinner. He usually devours it. And he just slept a lot. He did poop normal twice though. I kept telling my hubby I didn't think he was feeling good. And at about 9:00, he started throwing up. He threw up at least a dozen times between 9 and midnight. At some point in the night he pooped in my bed. I didn't even know it until the morning. He's never pottied in the bed before. So Wed. I get up and he's just acting lethargic and pitiful, and not eating. I went on in to work, even though I really didn't want to leave him alone. I asked my boss if I could leave early, so I got home around 1:00. Took him to the vet. They did an x-ray to see if there was any foreign matter, and there wasn't. The vet said he thinks he may have eaten a stink bug. He said in the last couple of days, there have been several dogs with the same symptoms, and some of their owners said their dogs have eaten these bugs. Come to think of it, I think I remember seeing him eating a bug, not sure what kind. I probably wouldn't know a stink bug if I saw one. So, he gave him a shot, and sent home some antibiotics. He puts up a heck of a fight when I try to give him the pills. I have to force his mouth open, and put the pills in. He bit me several times last night and drew blood. He never bites like this. I can only imagine it's because he feels so bad. This morning he still put up a fight, but didn't bite me. He won't eat anything. He won't eat dog food, treats, cheese, chicken & rice, not even peanut butter which he loves. And I was hoping to hide the pills in the PB. Wrong! He's not interested. Heck, he won't even eat cat food, so I know somethings wrong. Well, he is drinking plenty of water. I may try to get some pedialyte in him, so at least he's getting something. After we got home from the vet he had diarrhea for the first time and twice this morning. Although the second time this morning, it looked a little firmer, the first times, it was just pure watery. I know some others on here have had sick babies lately. So now I know what you guys were going through. I've been crying my eyes out. And I'm barely eating myself, because my stomach is just in knots worrying about him. I don't know what I would do if I ever had children, because I stress so much over a dog. But he's not just a dog to me. He is my baby.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
Awww...I hope Tucker feels better. When I was reading that, I was thinking to myslef "It's just like children." Becuase, when my kids come down with something, I hear from my friend 3 (small) towns over that her kids have the same thing. I think it might be something just going around. You did what you could, you took him to the vet. That's all you really COULD do. I'm sure he'll get better soon.. In the mean time, spoil him rotten!


EDIT: Oh, and I'm sorry to hear he bit you.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,428 Posts
I can so relate to what you are going through. Hopefully the meds will start working and he will be back to his normal self.

Have you tried giving him some boiled rice and either boiled hamburger or chicken? Lexi and Nikki loved it. You can also give a tsp of canned pumpkin. It is supposed to soak up the extra moisture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
If Tucker won't take the pills, see if you can switch them for liquid antibiotics. The eyedropper may be easier for you.

Since he's still not eating and has diarrhea, I'd check back with your vet this morning. I went through something like that with Lady several years ago. She was itchy after the groomers and chewed and swallowed a bunch of hair. She was throwing up also so I took her to the emergency vet who xrayed her for blockage (none) and sent me home with something to settle her stomach. She wasn't better by the next morning so I took her in to my vet. At that point she was so dehydrated so had to be hospitalized with an IV for 2 days!

That's the biggest danger with these little ones, the dehydration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,856 Posts
Sorry to hear Tucker is not feeling good. Hope you and Tucker have a better day today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Aug 4 2005, 09:39 AM
 
I can so relate to what you are going through.  Hopefully the meds will start working and he will be back to his normal self.

Have you tried giving him some boiled rice and either boiled hamburger or chicken?  Lexi and Nikki loved it.  You can also give a tsp of canned pumpkin.  It is supposed to soak up the extra moisture.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87102
[/QUOTE]
I did make him some boiled chicken and rice. He just sniffs at it and turns his head. It's so sad. It's like he's just not interested in anything. Although, when I put something down, he acts like he's interested, but he just sniffs and walks away. I have some canned pumpkin, I may try to get that in him when I get home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by LadysMom@Aug 4 2005, 09:55 AM
If Tucker won't take the pills, see if you can switch them for liquid antibiotics. The eyedropper may be easier for you.

Since he's still not eating and has diarrhea, I'd check back with your vet this morning. I went through something like that with Lady several years ago. She was itchy after the groomers and chewed and swallowed a bunch of hair. She was throwing up also so I took her  to the emergency vet who xrayed her for blockage (none) and sent me home with something to settle her stomach. She wasn't better by the next morning so I took her in to my vet. At that point she was so dehydrated so had to be hospitalized with an IV for 2 days!

That's the biggest danger with these little ones, the dehydration.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87107
[/QUOTE]
Actually I asked for the pills instead of liquid, because he will never keep his head still and the liquid goes all over the place. And I thought I could hide the pills in the PB, but he just doesn't want that. I am getting the pills in him, it's just a major struggle. He is drinking good, I hope he doesn't get dehydrated. I know that is a major concern, but I will call the vet back if things don't improve. The lady I got her from just suggested giving him puppy milk. What do you guys think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
I would use Pediolite, or if you don't have that, Gatoraid. It's worth the trip to a pharmacy to get some syringes without needles to administer this. Remember, I do a lot of rescue, so I do a LOT of my own vet care. I use the fluid diet the first day, then mix with some baby rice cereal. A dog needs 30 cc. of fluid per pound of body weight in a 24 hour period of time. You can also use 1/2 cc of antacid twice a day. It helps soothe the tummy.
You may want to ask the vet for another injection for the vomiting. The medication I use here is Centrine, and I can give two shots a day for vomiting. I also keep Flagil on hand for the diarrhea. Your vet could also do some fluids under the skin for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by LucyLou@Aug 4 2005, 11:14 AM
I would use Pediolite, or if you don't have that, Gatoraid.  It's worth the trip to a pharmacy to get some syringes without needles to administer this.  Remember, I do a lot of rescue, so I do a LOT of my own vet care.  I use the fluid diet the first day, then mix with some baby rice cereal.  A dog needs 30 cc. of fluid per pound of body weight in a 24 hour period of time.  You can also use 1/2 cc of antacid twice a day.  It helps soothe the tummy.
You may want to ask the vet for another injection for the vomiting.  The medication I use here is Centrine, and I can give two shots a day for vomiting.  I also keep Flagil on hand for the diarrhea.  Your vet could also do some fluids under the skin for you.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87141
[/QUOTE]
I am going to get some pediolite and try that. I actually have a couple of syringes that my vet gave me. He hasn't vommitted since Tuesday night, of course he hasn't eaten either. I'm looking at my bill, and the shot he gave was Metoclopramide. Of course, I don't know what any of this stuff is. I think he's drinking enough water.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,916 Posts
Didn't your vet suggest puttiing him on IV fluids? Is he drinking water? Can you get water down him with a syringe? It is very dangerous to let him go more than 24 hrs. without eating if he isn't getting lots of fluids. Have you tried a teaspoon of kaopetate in a syringe squirted in the corner of his mouth. I would try hand feeding him tiny bits of chicken or anything he usually loves. Even if he'll lick something off your fingers to get him primed. Nutri-CAL is a tasty supplement often used for sick animals that won't eat.
Our little guys go down hill really fast when not eating and not getting fluids. Hope he's feeling better by now, and you don't have to worry any more!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by TuckersMom+Aug 4 2005, 11:20 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LucyLou
@Aug 4 2005, 11:14 AM
I would use Pediolite, or if you don't have that, Gatoraid.  It's worth the trip to a pharmacy to get some syringes without needles to administer this.  Remember, I do a lot of rescue, so I do a LOT of my own vet care.  I use the fluid diet the first day, then mix with some baby rice cereal.  A dog needs 30 cc. of fluid per pound of body weight in a 24 hour period of time.  You can also use 1/2 cc of antacid twice a day.  It helps soothe the tummy.
You may want to ask the vet for another injection for the vomiting.  The medication I use here is Centrine, and I can give two shots a day for vomiting.  I also keep Flagil on hand for the diarrhea.  Your vet could also do some fluids under the skin for you.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87141
I am going to get some pediolite and try that. I actually have a couple of syringes that my vet gave me. He hasn't vommitted since Tuesday night, of course he hasn't eaten either. I'm looking at my bill, and the shot he gave was Metoclopramide. Of course, I don't know what any of this stuff is. I think he's drinking enough water.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87143
[/B][/QUOTE]
I think that is what Lexi is on. My vet said that it helps to calm the stomach and put the good and bad bacteria in the colon back where they are supposed to be.
It seems to be working for Lexi. She has one more day of pills.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
I swear by unflavored Pedialite and baby food chicken. I keep them both on hand, plus I have Pepto and Kaopectate. I also have prescription Reglan.

I have brought Lady "back from the brink" several times with those and avoided another hospital stay for IV fluids.

I would check with your vet today, tthough, if he still hasn't eaten. I always had big dogs before Lady so I had no idea how quickly toy breeds can dehydrate. A little tummy upset can turn into a major health issue and get pretty expensive, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by Frosty's Mom@Aug 4 2005, 11:22 AM
Didn't your vet suggest puttiing him on IV fluids?  Is he drinking water? Can you get water down him with a syringe?  It is very dangerous to let him go more than 24 hrs. without eating if he isn't getting lots of fluids. Have you tried a teaspoon of kaopetate in a syringe squirted in the corner of his mouth. I would try hand feeding him tiny bits of chicken or anything he usually loves. Even if he'll lick something off your fingers to get him primed. Nutri-CAL is a tasty supplement often used for sick animals that won't eat.
Our little guys go down hill really fast when not eating and not getting fluids. Hope he's feeling better by now, and you don't have to worry any more! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87144
[/QUOTE]
Yes he is drinking water on his own. And it seems like to me it's a pretty good bit. And I have tried hand feeding him, but he just won't take it. I've even put peanut butter on my finger and he won't even lick that off and he loves PB. I left some food out this morning, just a little bit. I didn't even want to come to work, but I did. Obviously I'm not being very productive, since I'm on this site. But anyway, I'm hoping he will just get lots of rest and hopefully eat the food before I get home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by TuckersMom+Aug 4 2005, 11:48 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Frosty's Mom
@Aug 4 2005, 11:22 AM
Didn't your vet suggest puttiing him on IV fluids?  Is he drinking water? Can you get water down him with a syringe?  It is very dangerous to let him go more than 24 hrs. without eating if he isn't getting lots of fluids. Have you tried a teaspoon of kaopetate in a syringe squirted in the corner of his mouth. I would try hand feeding him tiny bits of chicken or anything he usually loves. Even if he'll lick something off your fingers to get him primed. Nutri-CAL is a tasty supplement often used for sick animals that won't eat.
Our little guys go down hill really fast when not eating and not getting fluids. Hope he's feeling better by now, and you don't have to worry any more! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87144
Yes he is drinking water on his own. And it seems like to me it's a pretty good bit. And I have tried hand feeding him, but he just won't take it. I've even put peanut butter on my finger and he won't even lick that off and he loves PB. I left some food out this morning, just a little bit. I didn't even want to come to work, but I did. Obviously I'm not being very productive, since I'm on this site. But anyway, I'm hoping he will just get lots of rest and hopefully eat the food before I get home.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87155
[/B][/QUOTE]
Maybe try rubbing a small amount of pb on the roof of his mouth. Maybe that will be enough to get him eating. Worth a shot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Hi Tucker's Mom,
Teddy and I hope he feels better soon. I have a hard time giving Teddy liquids as well, especially with all of the hair around their mouths and they put up quite a struggle. Teddy gets aggressive when he's sick too, so he probably just feels bad and can't explain it. He'll perk up before you know it. And, I agree I'd try the peanut butter on the roof of his mouth to kick start him. On the other hand, it does have oil in it and might unsettle him even more. Sick tummies are the pits.

Our thought are with you guys - we hope he feels better ASAP!

Jackie & Teddy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Tucker's Mom,
Teddy and I hope he feels better soon. I have a hard time giving Teddy liquids as well, especially with all of the hair around their mouths and they put up quite a struggle. Teddy gets aggressive when he's sick too, so he probably just feels bad and can't explain it. He'll perk up before you know it. And, I agree I'd try the peanut butter on the roof of his mouth to kick start him. On the other hand, it does have oil in it and might unsettle him even more. Sick tummies are the pits.

Our thought are with you guys - we hope he feels better ASAP!

Jackie & Teddy
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87165
[/quote
That's why I didn't really try to force the issue with the PB, I wasn't sure if it would just make him feel worse. I just know it is something he normally loves, so for him to turn it down, he must feel really bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What do you guys think about trying to give him puppy milk? Someone else I work with suggested ensure. Has anyone ever tried this. Also, do your dogs drink the pediolite willingly or do you have to use the syringe?
 
1 - 20 of 316 Posts
Top