Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
7,310 Posts
I can so relate to what you are going through. Hopefully the meds will start working and he will be back to his normal self.

Have you tried giving him some boiled rice and either boiled hamburger or chicken? Lexi and Nikki loved it. You can also give a tsp of canned pumpkin. It is supposed to soak up the extra moisture.

· Registered
7,310 Posts
Originally posted by TuckersMom+Aug 4 2005, 11:20 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LucyLou
@Aug 4 2005, 11:14 AM
I would use Pediolite, or if you don't have that, Gatoraid.  It's worth the trip to a pharmacy to get some syringes without needles to administer this.  Remember, I do a lot of rescue, so I do a LOT of my own vet care.  I use the fluid diet the first day, then mix with some baby rice cereal.  A dog needs 30 cc. of fluid per pound of body weight in a 24 hour period of time.  You can also use 1/2 cc of antacid twice a day.  It helps soothe the tummy.
You may want to ask the vet for another injection for the vomiting.  The medication I use here is Centrine, and I can give two shots a day for vomiting.  I also keep Flagil on hand for the diarrhea.  Your vet could also do some fluids under the skin for you.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87141
I am going to get some pediolite and try that. I actually have a couple of syringes that my vet gave me. He hasn't vommitted since Tuesday night, of course he hasn't eaten either. I'm looking at my bill, and the shot he gave was Metoclopramide. Of course, I don't know what any of this stuff is. I think he's drinking enough water.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87143
[/B][/QUOTE]
I think that is what Lexi is on. My vet said that it helps to calm the stomach and put the good and bad bacteria in the colon back where they are supposed to be.
It seems to be working for Lexi. She has one more day of pills.

· Registered
7,310 Posts
Originally posted by TuckersMom+Aug 4 2005, 11:48 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Frosty's Mom
@Aug 4 2005, 11:22 AM
Didn't your vet suggest puttiing him on IV fluids?  Is he drinking water? Can you get water down him with a syringe?  It is very dangerous to let him go more than 24 hrs. without eating if he isn't getting lots of fluids. Have you tried a teaspoon of kaopetate in a syringe squirted in the corner of his mouth. I would try hand feeding him tiny bits of chicken or anything he usually loves. Even if he'll lick something off your fingers to get him primed. Nutri-CAL is a tasty supplement often used for sick animals that won't eat.
Our little guys go down hill really fast when not eating and not getting fluids. Hope he's feeling better by now, and you don't have to worry any more! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87144
Yes he is drinking water on his own. And it seems like to me it's a pretty good bit. And I have tried hand feeding him, but he just won't take it. I've even put peanut butter on my finger and he won't even lick that off and he loves PB. I left some food out this morning, just a little bit. I didn't even want to come to work, but I did. Obviously I'm not being very productive, since I'm on this site. But anyway, I'm hoping he will just get lots of rest and hopefully eat the food before I get home.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87155
[/B][/QUOTE]
Maybe try rubbing a small amount of pb on the roof of his mouth. Maybe that will be enough to get him eating. Worth a shot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.