Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,891 Posts
I would use Pediolite, or if you don't have that, Gatoraid. It's worth the trip to a pharmacy to get some syringes without needles to administer this. Remember, I do a lot of rescue, so I do a LOT of my own vet care. I use the fluid diet the first day, then mix with some baby rice cereal. A dog needs 30 cc. of fluid per pound of body weight in a 24 hour period of time. You can also use 1/2 cc of antacid twice a day. It helps soothe the tummy.
You may want to ask the vet for another injection for the vomiting. The medication I use here is Centrine, and I can give two shots a day for vomiting. I also keep Flagil on hand for the diarrhea. Your vet could also do some fluids under the skin for you.

· Registered
2,891 Posts
Originally posted by TuckersMom@Aug 5 2005, 03:23 PM
I just talked to the vet and Tucker has Parvo.  I just don't understand why this has to happen to my baby.  He had all his shots and everything.  He said that his immune system must have not taken well to the vaccination.  I am so sad, crying my eyes out right now.  I just want to say thanks to all of you who have showed so much concern.  It's nice to have some support.  Please pray for Tucker to make it through this successfully and come home to me soon.  I just want my playful sweet little baby back.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87573
[/QUOTE]

You might want to ask your vet if he is familiar with using Tamiflu for the treatment of Parvo. There is more and more being written about it. I know some of the rescue groups use it. I've also seen something recently on another site with a number of Maltese show breeders where this was mentioned.
My prayers are with you and Tucker.

· Registered
2,891 Posts
Originally posted by TuckersMom@Aug 8 2005, 08:51 AM
Sorry guys, to keep you all wondering and worried.  I tried to get on over the weekend, but for some reason I couldn't.  Anyway, Tucker is still in the vet hospital.  The tech called me several times over the weekend to keep me updated.  I went to see him Sat. and nearly cried myself to death.  He looked horrible.  They tried to warn me that he was really sick, but I don't think I could have prepared myself to see my baby like that.  He just looked absolutely miserable.  Yesterday the tech said he seemed better, that he was walking around the kennel and wagging his tail some.  He was still having diarrhea and vommitting, so she didn't offer him any food yet.  I haven't talked to them yet today, but my hubby is going up there in a little while.  I feel so bad for the baby.  I just hate for him to have to suffer thru all of this, but I've been praying a lot and I believe he will make it thru this.  Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=88224
[/QUOTE]

So glad to hear from you and Tucker. I hope you know there have been a number of us worried about your little guy this weekend. I'm glad he is showing some improvement. I'll keep praying for your little one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.