Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

301 - 316 of 316 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Awwwwwwww poor little Tucker, he is probably tired of being at the vet's that is why he is probably kicking up when you take him there, but at least he is perky now and showing good signs of his little self.
You know the bone cracking thing I think must be common in small dogs because Scooby has the very same thing sometimes when I pick him up and I mentioned it to the vet too and she said it is nothing to worry about just that their bones are finer than in bigger dogs. She did look him over and said he is ok so I am not too concerned about it now. She also told me not to let him jump from high places because of the fine bones as it can cause damage.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Sorry to hear that little Tuck is back at the vet. Since he did throw such a fit this morning, you know that he is feeling much better! Haven't spoiled him too much have ya? :D

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Aug 25 2005, 08:41 AM
Awwwwwwww poor little Tucker, he is probably tired of being at the vet's that is why he is probably kicking up when you take him there, but at least he is perky now and showing good signs of his little self.
You know the bone cracking thing I think must be common in small dogs because Scooby has the very same thing sometimes when I pick him up and I mentioned it to the vet too and she said it is nothing to worry about just that their bones are finer than in bigger dogs. She did look him over and said he is ok so I am not too concerned about it now. She also told me not to let him jump from high places because of the fine bones as it can cause damage.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93896
[/QUOTE]
You are so right. I never realized how frail his bones look until now that he is shaved down to nothing but skin in many places including his legs. Now I look at him and wonder how strong those bones could be because they are so skinny. It's a good thing that these babies are usually so fluffy, because that helps camouflage the little bones. I do try to keep him from jumping from high places, like my bed is very high. He has only jumped off a couple of times. Usually he won't even try it. He does jump on and off couches and chairs though.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
Originally posted by paris@Aug 25 2005, 09:06 AM
Sorry to hear that little Tuck is back at the vet.  Since he did throw such a fit this morning, you know that he is feeling much better!  Haven't spoiled him too much have ya? :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93912
[/QUOTE]
Spoiled?!?! Who, Tucker...no not at all...
Whatever!! I should have named him spoiled. Even the folks at the vet call him spoiled all the time. Funny thing is, they also spoil him alot. They even admit to it. But they all love him. They were so happy to see him when I walked in this morning.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Not good news that he is back, but much better than before...I guess it is like us humans...it does take a toll being sick and sometimes other things come up from having the first thing happen.

I pray that his recovery is smooth sailing from here on.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
The vet said Tucker is fine. He said that it was good that the absess popped on its own, and just continue flushing all the drains until they grow up. He also has two patches of dead skin on each side of his back hip area.
They shaved some more of his fur because of all the mats. He still has some areas that have some pretty bad mats, like under his chin area. It is driving me crazy. I have been trying to cut them out a little at a time but he doesn't like me cutting and he won't be still. My hubby says just leave it alone and just let him heal. He's probably right. I'm just concerned that the matted fur will be pulling on his skin and be uncomfortable for him. The vet said to bring him back in a week and they will start his re-vaccination and re-check his blood count. I think he is improving daily, and getting his spunk back. The little booger has been getting me up at 2:00 a.m. every morning for the past few days. (not really complaining...I'm glad he's home to get me up...) Then when I have to get up around 6:00 he's just curled up sleeping so peacefully that I don't want to disturb him, but I have to, so I can take him out to potty before I start getting ready for work. Anyway, he looks pretty rough right now, but I know he is feeling better.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I am so glad he is a Parvo survivor! Yea!!

I would think Tucker's blood count needs to be totally normal if the vet gives him a Parvo vaccine, so his body can react the way it is supposed to to the vaccine.... ??

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Aug 26 2005, 10:31 AM
I am so glad he is a Parvo survivor! Yea!!

I would think Tucker's blood count needs to be totally normal if the vet gives him a Parvo vaccine, so his body can react the way it is supposed to to the vaccine....  ??
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94202
[/QUOTE]
I agree, but I'm not a vet so what do I know, LOL. Hopefully, his blood count will be normal by then. (I'm still wondering why the vaccine didn't work the first time.) They did say that after a dog has parvo, they usually build an immunity to it and don't get it again. But I don't want to take any chances. My vet has had one case where the dog did get it a second time.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
everything should be normal with him before u give the vaccine...glad hes improving! sometimes there are problems with vaccines..he must have gotten a vax from the bad batch at his suseptable time. thats why the company is paying for it...its not a common thing. if it were common that company wouldnt exist from all the vet bills. i need to start a thread about puppy vaccines....im not at my house, but one im back i will...might help explain a few things.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Aug 26 2005, 12:06 PM
everything should be normal with him before u give the vaccine...glad hes improving!  sometimes there are problems with vaccines..he must have gotten a vax from the bad batch at his suseptable time.  thats why the company is paying for it...its not a common thing.  if it were common that company wouldnt exist from all the vet bills.  i need to start a thread about puppy vaccines....im not at my house, but one im back i will...might help explain a few things.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94223
[/QUOTE]

LadyM... please do post any info at all that you have on vaccines that might help us understand all this... thank you soooo much!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Aug 26 2005, 11:06 AM
everything should be normal with him before u give the vaccine...glad hes improving!  sometimes there are problems with vaccines..he must have gotten a vax from the bad batch at his suseptable time.  thats why the company is paying for it...its not a common thing.  if it were common that company wouldnt exist from all the vet bills.  i need to start a thread about puppy vaccines....im not at my house, but one im back i will...might help explain a few things.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94223
[/QUOTE]
LadyM...the company that made his vaccine is Schering-Plough...do you know much about them?

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
I have been following Tuckers story with my thoughts and prayers. I am so glad to hear that he is improving. It has been a long month for you both. May this coming month be a happy healthy one!!

301 - 316 of 316 Posts