Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 40 of 316 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
You are TOTALLY right!!! If you must SYRINGE FEED THE BABY.... Also, SYRINGE water & if you must RUB NUTRICAL on her gums!!!These dogs are very prone to hypoglycemia!!!
Jellybn1 :new_Eyecrazy:
:eek:

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
When Lady has been sick like the way you describe Tucker is, she will not take anything willingly. My vet was the one who suggested Pedialite and said to force it down her if necessary. I have one of those big Safety First Syringes I got in the infant section of Walmart or Target and use that to squirt it down her throat. If she keeps it down, I do it every 15 minutes, then alternatate with baby food on my finger. I stick it on the back of her tongue so she has to swallow it. Then, if all this stays down and she starts feeling better, I do the boiled chicken and rice diet for a few days.

I know how difficult it is to be at work when you furbaby is sick. I probably take as many sick days for Lady as I do myself! A suggestion for the future, could you leave Tucker at your vet's for the day if you can't stay home with him? I had that happen once when Lady had several seizures during the night, but I couldn't take the day off work to watch her. My vet kept her for the day for $25 vet board (regular board for a small dog is $17). A gave Lady her normal post-seizure Valium so they didn't have to treat her (but were authorized to do so in an emergency). It gave me much peace of mind to know that she wasn't alone and could be watched. Well worth the $25!

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Have you tried giving him baby food? Paris loved the sweet potatoes when she was spayed and had 11 teeth pulled. She turned her nose up to the pedialite though.

Hopefully, you will be able to find something Tucker will want to eat and keep down.

Hope he gets better soon!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I am so sad today. When I got home yesterday, Tucker still wouldn't eat. He threw up right after I got home and while I was gone to work. It was dark yellow, almost like the color of pee. I called the vet and they told me just to bring him back in. Of course they kept him overnight to put an IV in him. I've been so depressed. It just wasn't the same to not have him at home. But I know it was probably the best thing to do. I just want him to be better.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Glad to see someone mention nutrical. Nutrical or nutristat is the best thing to get when they will not eat. I always keep a tube on hand, a small amount on the roof of their mouth every now and then will actually absorb through their mucous membranes and they will actually have to swallow a bit. A small amount goes a long way. It is more nutrient rich than baby food and will keep the blood sugar up. Syringe feed small amounts of water as well.

I hope your baby is better today.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Was a blood panel done? It often will reveal an underlying cause for these symptoms.. such as pancreatitis.. and if pancreatitis.. the tummy needs a rest and fluid support and meds till things calm down.

Terry and my sweet little Angel Missy

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Originally posted by IamMomtoMissy@Aug 5 2005, 08:49 AM
Was a blood panel done? It often will reveal an underlying cause for these symptoms.. such as pancreatitis.. and if pancreatitis.. the tummy needs a rest and  fluid support  and meds till things calm down.

Terry and my sweet little Angel Missy
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87367
[/QUOTE]
They did some blood work and said his electrolites were off a bit and also the liver enzymes (?) were off some. He said he will run more tests today to see if they change. He said sometimes the liver fluctuates and hopefully more test will show which direction it is going. Also he has an inflammation of the liver.
When they told me they were keeping him overnight, I asked if someone was going to be with him all night. The doc said he was going to take him home and let one of his techs who lives near him keep him overnight. My hubby went in today to talk to him and see how Tucker was. He said he got the impression from the vet that he actually kept him at his house. He said he did good during the night but got sick again this morning.
I hate that my baby has to go through this. I wish I could take his place and be sick instead of him.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Originally posted by hambys97@Aug 5 2005, 08:53 AM
I just wanted to check and see how Tucker was this morning?  I can only imagine not having your baby with you.  It seems so strange, doesn't it?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87370
[/QUOTE]
yes, one of the saddest days ever, and he may not get to come home tonight either.

By the way, your dog is so precious and it looks like your son is holding a stuffed animal. So small and so cute.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Sorry to hear that Tucker is not feeling well. It sounds as if he is in good hands though and hopefully a diagnosis will be made soon so that he can get on the road to recovery. Will be thinking and praying for you and little Tuck.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Tucker.... I went through a lot of illnesses with my first Malt, Rosebud, and I remember that totally sick feeling in my stomach when she was kept overnight, etc. I sure hope he will be well soon.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I am so sorry Tucker is still not feeling well. I hope they figure out what his problem is an he will get to feeling better. My heart goes out to you. I am sending prayers you way right now for Tucker. Keep us posted on how he is doing
Teaco

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I just talked to the vet and Tucker has Parvo. I just don't understand why this has to happen to my baby. He had all his shots and everything. He said that his immune system must have not taken well to the vaccination. I am so sad, crying my eyes out right now. I just want to say thanks to all of you who have showed so much concern. It's nice to have some support. Please pray for Tucker to make it through this successfully and come home to me soon. I just want my playful sweet little baby back.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Originally posted by TuckersMom@Aug 5 2005, 04:23 PM
I just talked to the vet and Tucker has Parvo.  I just don't understand why this has to happen to my baby.  He had all his shots and everything.  He said that his immune system must have not taken well to the vaccination.  I am so sad, crying my eyes out right now.  I just want to say thanks to all of you who have showed so much concern.  It's nice to have some support.  Please pray for Tucker to make it through this successfully and come home to me soon.  I just want my playful sweet little baby back.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87573
[/QUOTE]

Ohh my. I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope he pulls through. But to give you some hope, I have an 8 year old Irish Setter who had parvo at 5 months (after all her shots) and she is alive and well today. I'm sending you and Tucker all the best.

21 - 40 of 316 Posts