Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you all know from my post last week (Labor Need Info) I have 3 new babies at my house 8 days old. They are doing great. My question is the little momma seems to be loosing a lot of her fur. I weighed her & she is barely 6 lbs giving lots of milk. I have been giving her Nutri Cal & I started her on some Vitimans for nursing females. I make sure she is eating good. Anyone have any advice on any thing more I can give her to keep her strong & healthy. She seems fine but fraile. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by adorableaccentsdogbows.com@Apr 21 2005, 10:09 AM
Hi, blowing her coat is completely normal. It sounds like your doing everything you can for her. Three pups takes a lot out of a mom.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54861
[/QUOTE]

I had intended to cut her coat short before she delivered but she was so miserable I didn't plus she delivered a bit early. So, I brush & comb her every day to get out the matts that are made from the moisture from nursing.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've never clipped my girls before whelping. I know a lot of people do but I've never had any problems with the pups nursing or anything else. My girls loose the hair around their belly before whelping normaly anyway. I figure the less stress on them the better.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by adorableaccentsdogbows.com@Apr 21 2005, 10:21 AM
I've never clipped my girls before whelping. I know a lot of people do but I've never had any problems with the pups nursing or anything else. My girls loose the hair around their belly before whelping normaly anyway. I figure the less stress on them the better.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54869
[/QUOTE]

I agree the less stress the better.

·
Registered
323 Posts
When we had our little Josie and she had her babies, the vet said to make sure when she was pregnant and nursing to feed her puppy food as she needed the calories, I also used Nutrical as a supplement and just tried to keep it quiet, she had one episode of a bit of mastitis and I just used warm compressed and massaged her. Our vet told me I could not bathe with soap until the puppies had their eyes open (so she was a mess) he was a firm believer in this as all the puppies had was their sense of smell, so I was only able to rinse her in warm water. I didn't really notice much hair loss, but I am sure all dogs like humans are different. Good luck with your babies. Post pics when you can.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.