Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had Piccolina (she passed away of Parvo) she was so tiny that the vet asked me to give her Nutri-Cal twice a day. Now that I have Bella, her breeder did not give it to her but since she got sick to her stomach and I took her to the emergency clinic, (me being paranoid that she too had parvo) she was so down and her glucose was a bit on the low side. They asked me if I was giving her the Nutri-Cal and I said no. The vet at the clinic said that I must give it to her twice a day until she's at least 3-4lbs. She's on it now but I would like to know if anyone else had to give their little baby this. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I gave it to Brinkley when we first got him home for a few days while he adjusted. I now only give it when he is not acting as perky as normal, or if he has not eaten well in a day or so. You can really tell when he is not himself, more lazy and lethargic. Usually a dose of nurtri-cal and in an hour or so he is back to normal.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
on saturday ellies sugar got waaay down (she had white gums) because she didnt eat breakfast. i gave her a bunch of nutri-cal and she got a lot better. she was freaking me out...she threw up like 3 times.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
doctorcathy, that's exactly what happened to Bella. I did take her to the emergency clinic because my first puppy had recently died of Parvo so I freaked out when Bella threw up. $500 later, Bella was fine but they did keep her overnight for observation. I'll give her a bunch of Nutri-Cal if it ever happens again and I'll save myself a bunch of $$$

·
Registered
400 Posts
Casper did that throw up thing to about a week ago!

When I first got Casper he wasn't eating to good, so I gave it to him 3 times a day. Then he started eating everything in his sight, and now he's eating normaly! I'm so glad he is eating normally, but I still always have Nutrical on hand.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Casper did that throw up thing to about a week ago!

When I first got Casper he wasn't eating to good, so I gave it to him 3 times a day. Then he started eating everything in his sight, and now he's eating normaly! I'm so glad he is eating normally, but I still always have Nutrical on hand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts