Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had Piccolina (she passed away of Parvo) she was so tiny that the vet asked me to give her Nutri-Cal twice a day. Now that I have Bella, her breeder did not give it to her but since she got sick to her stomach and I took her to the emergency clinic, (me being paranoid that she too had parvo) she was so down and her glucose was a bit on the low side. They asked me if I was giving her the Nutri-Cal and I said no. The vet at the clinic said that I must give it to her twice a day until she's at least 3-4lbs. She's on it now but I would like to know if anyone else had to give their little baby this. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I have heard that it does not hurt the dog if you give it to them it can only help. You should give some to your dog if it is going to be stressed, or if the dog seems out of it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
i gave it to maxi 4 times a day when he was a baby and now i give it to him if he misses a meal sometimes he only wants to eat once a day so before i leave to work if he didnt eat his breakfast i give him some
it doesnt hurt them it can only help

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I gave it to Brinkley when we first got him home for a few days while he adjusted. I now only give it when he is not acting as perky as normal, or if he has not eaten well in a day or so. You can really tell when he is not himself, more lazy and lethargic. Usually a dose of nurtri-cal and in an hour or so he is back to normal.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
on saturday ellies sugar got waaay down (she had white gums) because she didnt eat breakfast. i gave her a bunch of nutri-cal and she got a lot better. she was freaking me out...she threw up like 3 times.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
doctorcathy, that's exactly what happened to Bella. I did take her to the emergency clinic because my first puppy had recently died of Parvo so I freaked out when Bella threw up. $500 later, Bella was fine but they did keep her overnight for observation. I'll give her a bunch of Nutri-Cal if it ever happens again and I'll save myself a bunch of $$$

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi throw up on Saturday too! She was acting fine so I was not too worried. It was gross though it was a clear thick liquid with a couple of black specks in it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Casper did that throw up thing to about a week ago!

When I first got Casper he wasn't eating to good, so I gave it to him 3 times a day. Then he started eating everything in his sight, and now he's eating normaly! I'm so glad he is eating normally, but I still always have Nutrical on hand.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Casper did that throw up thing to about a week ago!

When I first got Casper he wasn't eating to good, so I gave it to him 3 times a day. Then he started eating everything in his sight, and now he's eating normaly! I'm so glad he is eating normally, but I still always have Nutrical on hand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts