Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just switched Jack from Science Diet to Nutro Max. He never had any tearstains until he started the Nutro Max. Has anyone else had this problem? I think it may be bothering his tummy as well? Can anyone recommend a dry food that does not cause staining and that will be easy on the tummy?

·
Registered
277 Posts
<span style="font-family:Times">i dont have a specific recommendation (sorry) but i did find a site that has some disturbing researched findings on many commecial dog food brands...

heres the link: http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/index.php?page=main

i found this today as i was browsing around dogster.com. i think it might help you in your search for a good quality dog food. theres alot of reading required but well worth it. hope it helps
</span>

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
About the upset tummy, did you just switch the food over or did you gradually change it? Switching straight from one food to another will cause and upset tummy. If you did gradully change it though and its still upseting him I think there are certain foods out there for dogs who have that proublem.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
dog food has so much crap in it.....my dogs tried nutro, eukanuba, bil-jac, science diet.....and ellie would throw up at least once a week.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
My dogs eat Science Diet (Lamb/rice) , and it's the only brand BOTH my dogs will eat... I've given MANY brands of opened dog food away until I got to Science Diet. Massimo likes it and his staining is almost gone, and Jasper (my Irish Setter) finally eats more than 1/4 cup a day. So I'm sticking with it!

Have you ever seen what dogs eat unsupervised? THAT would make you ill too!

-c

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I assume you use the Adult food. Here are the ingredients:

Nutro Max Adult Dog Food - Nutro Max Adult Dog Food Web Site
Chicken Meal, Wheat Flour, Ground Whole Wheat, Rice Bran, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Rice, Lamb Meal, Natural Flavors, Yeast Culture, Calcium Carbonate, Monosodium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Dried Buttermilk, Dried Kelp, Dried Egg Product, Lecithin, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Oxide, Garlic, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin (source of Vitamin B2), Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Copper Sulfate.

While chicken meal is good for the first ingredient, the next two are wheat. There are only 4 ingredients before the first "fat" listed. Then comes corn. This is not a "bad" food, there are just others that I think are better. It has a lot of wheat and corn, which can be allergins in dogs.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Originally posted by Jack@May 3 2005, 09:44 PM
I have just switched Jack from Science Diet to Nutro Max.  He never had any tearstains until he started the Nutro Max.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I think it may be bothering his tummy as well?  Can anyone recommend a dry food that does not cause staining and that will be easy on the tummy?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59517
[/QUOTE]

YES, YES and YES again. I too had my Malts on this and let me tell you... I've never cleaned up so much poop in my life! I thought it was just the way malt puppies were (yorkie was on something else). So I contacted a friend of mine that has Malts and she told me to switch the food. As soon as I did, no more round the clock pooping.

I know you asked about tearstains so here's what my poop story was leading up to. At the time they were eating the Nutro, they both had tearstains. I thought it was only because they were teething. Well, no sooner than they were off of Nutro 100%, the stains started going away. Now at 6 months, they are both almost 100% stainfree.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by gigimom+May 4 2005, 10:57 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Jack
@May 3 2005, 09:44 PM
I have just switched Jack from Science Diet to Nutro Max.  He never had any tearstains until he started the Nutro Max.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I think it may be bothering his tummy as well?  Can anyone recommend a dry food that does not cause staining and that will be easy on the tummy?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59517

YES, YES and YES again. I too had my Malts on this and let me tell you... I've never cleaned up so much poop in my life! I thought it was just the way malt puppies were (yorkie was on something else). So I contacted a friend of mine that has Malts and she told me to switch the food. As soon as I did, no more round the clock pooping.

I know you asked about tearstains so here's what my poop story was leading up to. At the time they were eating the Nutro, they both had tearstains. I thought it was only because they were teething. Well, no sooner than they were off of Nutro 100%, the stains started going away. Now at 6 months, they are both almost 100% stainfree.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59670
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thank you all for the comments! I did mix the Nutro with Science Diet for about 3 days, but maybe that wasn't long enough. He threw up all 3 days. Today I switched him back to the Science Diet with no problems. I know this is not the best food in the least, but it doesn't seem to bother his belly and I know there are no tearstain problems. I was trying to compare ingredients to see what would cause the staining with the Nutro. I am stumped..What food did you wind up switching to that did not cause stains? Thanks again everyone for the imput.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
if it aint broke dont fix it
if your pup does well on science diet, then stick with it. sure it might have ingredients that dogs can be allergic to, but ur pup might not be allergic to those ingredients. my dog had diarrhea on regular science diet, he has to be on prescription diet i/d for his sensitive tummy. all dogs are different. so if he has no probs on it, i say dont change it

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I was in the pet store again today and told the owner the problems I was having with the Nutro Max. He then tried to sell me the Nutro Ultra since it is all natural. I was almost going to buy it but was hesitant becasue it is still Nutro. So I decided to try another pet store. Low and behold I walked into another local pet store, one I have never been in because it looks so scuggy and dirty. However, they had Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul!!!!! I was thrilled to see that it had just about all of the same ingredients as the Ultra but was only $2.99 for a 4lb. bag
~~The best part was that it has no corn or wheat but oatmeal and brown rice. I am keeping my fingers crossed with this one since Jack seemed to love it as well. I mixed it with the leftover Science Diet. Hopefully, no vomiting or tearstains!!!!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Sis is on the Nutro Ultra Puppy, canned and dry. She loves it!! She has not had any problems at all with it. She has always had tear stains (which have gotten worse with the increase in teething problems), so I can't say it does or doesn't cause tearstaining. I think each pup is different and what works for our girl may not work for someone elses!! I hope you find what is right for your baby

1 - 12 of 12 Posts