Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have always gotten Puddles the rawhide bones, but lately I have noticed that the hair around his mouth is getting matted and hard (stuck together). I thought maybe its the rawhide since it gets sticky when he chews on them.

So tonight I purchased our 1st Nylabone. So far Puddles is chewing on it. Do they get tacky when wet? There were so many types I didn't know which one was the best so I only got a small one, its clear for aggressive chewers. Do the dark ones have dye in them? What if he breaks a piece off, since they are so hard, will he choke on it?

What type of bones are you guys buying?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Tic Tac has the petite nylabone flexible/gumabones (these are clear). Peanut gets the petite durables and bacon bones. Peanut doesn't really chew hard so he hardly ever breaks the edible bones. Maybe you could try the next bigger size. I've never had any problems with the edible bone getting too gooey or anything. The top layer does get soft after a while and it sometimes gets stuck to the fleece material on the dog bed. Other than that the durables and the flexibles don't get mushy.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley ONLY likes the bacon flavored nylabones. I buy him the BIG ones...they last longer and I don't worry about them getting too small, too soon. They don't get too yucky, a little mushy around the spots where he is "working" on them...but nothing terrible. I take them away just before they are small enough to fit completely in his mouth...this makes him very angry.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I give Tav the edible nylabones too. He likes all of the flavors. We get the small ones and they last forever.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
So far Caese has loved each flavor we have given him (all edible ones). He has a bacon one right now. The cheese/ham and cheese bones really stink, but he loves them! I think he also had a BBQ rib flavor or something like that that he also loved. We haven't tried the peanut butter or carrot with him yet. I think Puddles will be very glad to have Nylabones...Caesar loves them. :D

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i've read that rawhides expand in the stomach and can cause intestinal blockage---and that needs surgery.

and caseys dog, tyler(australian cattle dog), ate a bunch of those hard nylabones---and broke some of his teeth. he only has a few of his front teeth. and they took out a few of the back ones.

we give our dogs bully sticks or pizzle sticks (which ever)...i like the ones that look solid. there are they clear looking ones....if you see both...you'll notice the difference. anyway...they get soft and they are good for teeth.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My Malt babies have just recently started chewing Nylabones. At first, I don't think they knew what to do with them. Now I can't keep enough in the house. Mia, my yorkie, has always loved them. I use the small ones. I've tried to use the larger ones but none of the girls like them as they can't carry them around as easily. Their favorite is the bacon flavor.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I haven't tried the flavored nylabones...our puppy loves her greenies! We have both the hard (opaque) non-edible and soft (clear) non edible bones. She loves the soft ones, although she doesn't pay any attention to the nylabones when a greenie is around. I guess I might have to try the edible ones!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Apr 27 2005, 03:20 PM
I haven't tried the flavored nylabones...our puppy loves her greenies!  We have both the hard (opaque) non-edible and soft (clear) non edible bones.  She loves the soft ones, although she doesn't pay any attention to the nylabones when a greenie is around.  I guess I might have to try the edible ones!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57297
[/QUOTE]

Brink doesn't even pick up his non-edible ones.
They are in the depths of the toy basket...and he never pulls them out. I don't think he likes the way they feel or something in his mouth...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts