Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the other day that oatmeal shampoos and conditioners may not be so good to use on dogs since they can be used as a carb source and the staph can feed on it causing more itching (or something like that--I don't remember exactly how it was written).

Anyway, I passed this info onto my sister since her poor dog has some MAJOR issues. My poor BIL had just given the dog a bath and she made him re-wash her to try it out. Sure enough, she said their dog has really stopped itching.

As we were talking about it tonight, my hubby pipes up and says, "You know Toby's shampoo is oatmeal based?" :w00t::blink::w00t::blink: I didn't realize it, but his "everyday" shampoo sure is! So he is getting re-shampooed tonight with something else. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

Anyway, I just thought I would pass this along. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
oh definitely let us know what happens! I just got Yeager this soothing oatmeal shampoo from Earthbath, he still scratches but it's better than before.

What is "staph" by the way?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
That is good to know!
I have some organic oatmeal wash that I thought might be
good to try for the pups but after reading that, no way!
thank you!

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
We don't use shampoos with any type of grains in them. They really aren't good for the skin in the long run, despite what we've been told.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Hmmm when Missy had her terrible itch, I soaked her in 'real-oatmeal' bath and she immediately had relief... in fact at one point it was the only thing that allowed her to have some rest as the constant itch was a torment to her.
I know some hospitals and nursing home locally will do this as well for patients and have good results for those with skin issues.
I personally have done it for myself , especially after a long winter where the heat/dry air tends to dry my skin out. I put oatmeal in an old stocking/knee high and drop into a tub and before getting in I 'swoosh' the packet around. I have to say even one bath and my skin feels sooo much better.
Like anything, though, maybe it isn't for everyone or every pooch.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Hmmm when Missy had her terrible itch, I soaked her in 'real-oatmeal' bath and she immediately had relief... in fact at one point it was the only thing that allowed her to have some rest as the constant itch was a torment to her.
I know some hospitals and nursing home locally will do this as well for patients and have good results for those with skin issues.
I personally have done it for myself , especially after a long winter where the heat/dry air tends to dry my skin out. I put oatmeal in an old stocking/knee high and drop into a tub and before getting in I 'swoosh' the packet around. I have to say even one bath and my skin feels sooo much better.
Like anything, though, maybe it isn't for everyone or every pooch.

Yes, oatmeal does provide temporary relief, but in the long run, it might sensitize the skin if the person or the dog has a grain allergy. It will dry it out eventually, and in some cases, bring on eczema. I speak from personal experience, with a husband who was told to use oatmeal products on his skin. They definitely made it feel better, but over time, his eczema got worse. He was finally diagnosed with an allergy to gluten (wheat/oats/rye/barely) grains.

It definitely isn't for everyone, thought blanket recommendations are often made to use products containing oatmeal. There are other things that are very soothing to the skin, like calendula, aloe, etc.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bathed Toby in another shampoo/conditioner the other night (oatmeal free) and his scratching is MUCH LESS!

Even though I posted the original post, I really didn't think it would apply to Toby. I thought his itching was more environmental related--grass pollen, dust, etc. I am seriously SHOCKED beyond words!

Can someone explain to me how this works? He gets a bath once a week, so by the end of the week, wouldn't the oatmeal have dissipated and he no longer be scratching? How can a shampoo still be affecting him seven days later? (And yes, it is well rinsed off him)

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Because the skin becomes sensitized/irritated if there is an allergy, and even after the product is washed off it takes a while to de-sensitize.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think this is the third day since Toby has been re-shampooed and still there is little to no scratching! I am seriously amazed beyond words!

I just got an e-mail from my sister who is still amazed as well that their dog has stopped scratching too. They have spent thousands (money they seriously don't have) on trying to find out what is causing their dog to scratch and this seems to be the answer.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I know from personal experience on MYSELF that I get zero relief from oatmeal baths and the like when I get poison ivy....in fact, I itch worse afterwards...heinously. My DS is the exact opposite, however. Just shows that people (and dogs, obviously) are individuals and can not be expected to have the same reactions, favorable or otherwise, as another using the same product in all cases. There are always going to be exceptions. I am so glad you and BIL are having a favorable response in your babies!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts