Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am searching for a new home. As you know my DH passed away 7 months ago and the girls [Dixie and Lilly] and I decided to downsize. I found a small place that I like. It's a good location for me, but the neighborhood doesn't have sidewalks. Would you purchase in a neighborhood w/o sidewalks? I know this is a odd question, but this new home has to suit all of our needs. If I have to walk the girls in the street they will get filthy. Plus the asphalt gets hot in the summer. It's a small, quiet gated area so traffic is no issue. It has a tiny yard, but they enjoy walking. This home is in town [better resale], better construction, and located close to everything I enjoy.

My next choice of home has more yard and sidewalks. Plus it's a larger community so the walks can vary and therefore be more interesting. The downside is that it is the location is farther out of town. If I am out and about [or if I work] and need to let the girls out, the drive back and forth would be a hassle and potentially time consuming due to traffic.

what to do... what to do....

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Do you think you could get them to wear booties? Otherwise, you will need to clean their footies off in the sink after each walk. I think I would be inclined to go with the home that is closer to your work (easier for you to go back and forth to take care of them). Maybe there's a little park near the first house where you could take them for their walks (via the car to the park)?

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I'd make my decision based on the neighborhood and the home itself rather than the sidewalks/street. Sounds like the first one is a better fit for you. Can you go over there a few times see how everyone else walks their dog, and walk your fluffs to find out how dirty they get?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I wouldn't let the presence or absence of sidewalks influence my decision. Consider location and how much you like the house. Good luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I would let the sidewalks influence me. We went from great sidewalks and lots of walking to none...and roads that I don't necessarily want my dogs walking on. I highly value our walking time so I would consider it.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I'd make my decision based on the neighborhood and the home itself rather than the sidewalks/street. Sounds like the first one is a better fit for you. Can you go over there a few times see how everyone else walks their dog, and walk your fluffs to find out how dirty they get?
I agree 100%. When we moved here 5 years ago, we told our realtor that we 'had' to have a big back yard, as that is what our dogs were used to. Over the last few years we have come to realize that we could have done fine with a much smaller yard, as the dogs tended to be inside with us more than ever, as they were both getting older.

Yes, our yard is beautiful, but it is way more than we need.

Like Nikki's Mom said, I'd go over there in the morning, and early evenings, and see what your options are for walking. I think you'll be happier there, once you figure out where and how you guys can get your walks in! :thumbsup:

Good luck and keep us updated!!!

HUGz! Jules

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Many years ago I got an Old English Sheepdog puppy (well 14 years ago to be exact as he is now 14!!), at the time I lived WAYYYYY out in the country and had acres and acres of land. Within 3 months of his arrival I found myself suddenly single and living in a Mobile Home Park (that's a long story). The park had rules that stated that dogs could not be walked off your lot.

An English Sheepdog needs LOTS of exercise. So every night I would load him into the car and drive 2 blocks to the elementary school, park and we would walk from there. The Park rules would not allow me to walk him down the road to the park.

We lived there for 4 years before I bought my current home. The point is we made it work. If this house meets your needs you can make it work. Loading them in the car and driving to an area appropriate for walking is an alternative.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have visited the smaller home neighborhood a couple times looking at real estate and see people walking their dogs on the street. It's a dog friendly community. BUT, their dogs don't have long white hair. If I purchase that home it's about ten minutes drive from the community I currently live in. I intend to retain my membership [it's a country club] and can therefore walk the girls here. Easy enough. However, I have concerns that I won't keep up with the walks b/c it's a hassle to load and drive. It's nice here where I live and b/c it's so conducive to walking I sometimes take them more than once per day. If I find myself with free time and the weather permits = off we go! I'm just trying to find the fit that makes us all happy. I suppose now that I think of it driving a short distance for a walk is easier than the commute back and forth for pee pee breaks. Sometimes I find it so hard to make a decision.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I live in an area of town with no sidewalks and big yards and although I have a fenced dog yard where the dogs can run and play, I still take them for walks occasionally. Whether we play in the yard, walk on the street or go find a place with sidewalks there is still dirt and their feet will still get dirty. Change is difficult and you've had a major change recently. Don't complicate the issue by worrying about dirty feet. I find our little ones to be incredibly adaptable. Make the change if it feels right for you. Your dogs will love you and will love the new dirt, I promise!

MaryH

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
:blush:Did you get your other house sold already?

I had that same issue when I lived on 7th Ave Sw. I would have to walk about half a mile to the corner then it was sidewalks the rest of the walk down to GGB. I do like the area,it's quiet and close enough in for me. We had little traffic on 7th Ave. I would tend to walk the fluffs on the grass until we reached the corner,sometimes on the asphalt depended on how hot it was.
Where we live now,there's no sidewalks so we walk on the asphalt or on the grass. I may consider booties if it gets too hot. I tend to walk them on the grass,but we don't have fireants up north. That was something I was alway conscious of in Naples...
For you,it sounds like the one closer in,in town ,you could take the fluffs to a place to walk since you'd be closer in,plus more yard is more work,especially if it's just you and the fluffs. For me,I'd do one a little farther out,if it wasn't too far out.

7th Ave SW wasn't too far out,just across Collier and off Webber one block so it wasn't a horrendous drive into town but I had to really want to go to town,badly to get out and drive plus they have a new Publix on Pine Ridge and Collier now so it's would be walkable for me now.....
If I had to look at something near Wilson,that would be a different story,too far out for me,a real hassel,I wouldn't even consider on that far out. Knowing Naples traffic,especially during season,I'd go for closer in. Maybe see what else might suit your needs. Heaven knows there's lots to choose from now.

hope my rambling helped....

·
Registered
707 Posts
Why don't you take your girls for a walk in both of those neighborhoods and see how it feels? I'm sure that in the end you'll make a decision that's best for all 3 of you. Good Luck!

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Here's an idea. If you keep a little bin/container of self rinse shampoo/water combo in a convenient place when you bring them in from their walks you can easily dip their feet and towel dry. Voila! It won't take but a few minutes this way. I've done it many times over the years.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All great thoughts and ideas. You have made me feel better about the selection process. We will be happy wherever. We just need to adapt to the circumstances. Thanks you everyone for the great ideas.

PS Michelle,
No, not sold yet. Hopefully soon. These showings are driving me insane!!!

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With real estate, the most important thing to consider is the location...

I want to be a realtor someday. :blush:
Gigi,
Dogs can't become realtors :HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

[Your post appeared like Gigi was speaking and made me LOL when I read it!

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Gigi,
Dogs can't become realtors :HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

[Your post appeared like Gigi was speaking and made me LOL when I read it!
LOL!!:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:Gigi wants to be a supermodel, or be in that Beverly Hills Chihuahua movie. B)

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
The sidewalks would be a big deal for me. I don't have sidewalks,except from my house to the road & I really wish I did. Since the road is a busy one,I have to take the fluffs walking around our 2 acre lot.Boring

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
I have to wipe off little footies after walkies and I have 20 little paws to wipe off...that's a bunch of footies to clean...:w00t:

Crossing my fingers for a good sale. I know I hate showings. It's not like we have to clean for the showings.It's just we have many of our personal items packed,to declutter and make it less personal so the person can imagine themselves living here,yadda,yadda.

I hate having to leave while they go through,or even worse,don't show up at all...

Walking both neighborhoods is a good idea,to get the feel,plus driving it a few times to see if the drive is worth it. Check it out on week ends and at night,a drive through might be a good idea....I wish I had checked out 7th Ave at night on week ends,sometimes those parties at the neighbor next to me got kinda wild... good thing the Collier Co sheriff deputies are quick to respond....:innocent:

I know some really great bargains can be had if you want to live farther out, but the drive...Naples traffic:w00t:..euugghhh,not for me,I'd settle for a little less house for a little more money knowing I'd be closer in,atleast in the NA41 or closer ,in like off Livingston or in Pine Ridge Extension ,that's close to down town but a lil bit of acreage for a studio...no HOA....
I don't want to be out farther out than half a mile east or so off Collier,White Blvd or GGB (NA-41) area.
Any farther out,I'd feel like I was in Ava Maria.....

I still like the Estates, off Logan or Pine Ridge,no HOA telling me I can't paint my fence purple and green if I want to,no one complaining about barking fluffs...Plus I can have a studio out back.
I hope you find the perfect place for you and your family (fluffs). It's hard to start over and to move...

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
We don't have sidewalks in our area and we never have problems. Although there is little to no traffic around here.

When we take Toby with us to Alabama and we want to walk him, I REFUSE to walk him around my parent's property/road. It is a snake haven! So hubby and I drove into town, parked on the street and walked him up and the sidewalks. Maybe that is an option. It is a bit inconvenient, but it might work for you.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts