Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boom's limping onhis back right leg again... *sigh* He seems to only limp after a walk and then layin down... A few weeks ago he was limping a bit on his left side... and before that the right side... The right side had been thought to be a ligament tear, but then he was fine so they thought it was just a severe muscle pull or something... well its back again...

I'm worried about his ligaments in his knees, his hips, and knee caps.

Anyway to tell the difference?

I'm going to try to get him in today if I can, otherwise tomorrow. I'm tryin to see a new vet, I still havent found one I really like... What sucks is this is seriously the wrong time money wise for this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by Boom Boom's Mom@Apr 14 2005, 09:34 AM
What sucks is this is seriously the wrong time money wise for this

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=52514
[/QUOTE]


Seems like that's when it always happens. I hope everything is okay! Keep us updated!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
Has your vet checked his spine? Disc problems can cause limping, too. Does he do a lot of jumping on and off furniture? That can injure backs in these small dogs.

Keep us posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,483 Posts
Take care! I hope BoomBoom is doing well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,288 Posts
Intermittent limping is often from knee problems. It could also be a soft tissue injury that did not heal. The vet should take a good feel of him and it wouldn't hurt to have hip and stifle x-rays taken sometime in the near future just to make sure everything looks okay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the well wishes


I got an appointment for Monday, so it sucks, but they told me to keep him off the stairs, not to let him jump around "four on the floor"

Do these vets live with animals?
We're doin our best though... I gave him a bath which kept him chilled.

I'll let you know what it looks like Monday.. What's weird is he's walkin ok again now, he's been pacing and its like the more he walks the better it gets, then when he lays down for a while he starts limping again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by Boom Boom's Mom@Apr 14 2005, 04:13 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes


I got an appointment for Monday, so it sucks, but they told me to keep him off the stairs, not to let him jump around "four on the floor"

Do these vets live with animals?
  We're doin our best though...  I gave him a bath which kept him chilled.

I'll let you know what it looks like Monday..  What's weird is he's walkin ok again now, he's been pacing and its like the more he walks the better it gets, then when he lays down for a while he starts limping again.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=52661
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for keeping us updated! I would have had the opposite effect if I put Tini in the bath... it amazes me how high she can jump in there playing around...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Originally posted by Boom Boom's Mom@Apr 14 2005, 05:34 AM
Boom's limping onhis back right leg again...  *sigh*  He seems to only limp after a walk and then layin down...  A few weeks ago he was limping a bit on his left side... and before that the right side...  The right side had been thought to be a ligament tear, but then he was fine so they thought it was just a severe muscle pull or something...  well its back again...

I'm worried about his ligaments in his knees, his hips, and knee caps.

Anyway to tell the difference?

I'm going to try to get him in today if I can, otherwise tomorrow.  I'm tryin to see a new vet, I still havent found one I really like...  What sucks is this is seriously the wrong time money wise for this

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=52514
[/QUOTE]

Pepper limps on his back leg too! he has a pinched nerve .. did it happen all of a sudden.... if so then thats prolly what it is..... if it came a little at a time it MAY be arthritus...... how old is u're doggie????

try masaging it by the spine a little down..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Boom turns out to be okie


The vet says his knees and hips are good.. He thinks that Boom's lame b/c he's over weight some and needs to lose about 3-5 pounds.. (for a lil dog thats a lot!)

He wasnt happy about the food I'm feeding (Chicken Soup) and he as pretty much wanting me to feed the food they carry (surprise)... But I absolutely loved this vet. He knew what he was talking about.. He watched Boom walk with my husband around their clinic to see how he moved..

Gave me a name of a trainer that does one on one and group training.. so I'm excited..

Overall Boom's good. He needs to lose weight and we're gonna try some chondrotin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,010 Posts
I'm so glad Boom Boom is okay!!

Why does vet not like Chicken soup? This is what I feed Abbey so I was just curious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
yeah boom is okay.....the weight loss is so hard, we had to do that with Josie ugh...it was torture on me..but it was in her best interest, so we plugged ahead with it and she is doing so much better with her legs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
Just to motivate you a bit more.....

Just like with humans, obesity can cause diabetes in dogs. My Lady packed on the pounds after I rescued her (too many good girl treats like Beggin Strips and Snausages!) and was diagnosed with diabetes a year &1/2 later. She was 2 pounds heavier than she is now which is a significant amount of weight for a small dog. Terry's Missy (she doesn't post much here) is also diabetic and was overweight when she was diagnosed.

A treat for Lady now is veggies green beans or a little chicken breast jerky. She is just as happy with healthy treats.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top