·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this email from Peta:

(this is just horrible)

The Latest News From the Gulf Coast and What You Can Do to Help
September 9, 2005, 12 p.m.:
Officials Shooting Dogs in Louisiana—Feds Must Hear from You Today!

peta's link

In the latest and most graphic display of our government's abandonment of animal-handling guidelines in disasters that were created with PETA's help years ago, some law enforcement agencies are now shooting dogs left stranded in St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana.

Revolting video footage posted on the Web site of the Dallas Morning News shows officers shooting dogs. At least one of their victims survived the gunshots and was apparently left to die a slow, agonizing death amid debris from the storm.

Of course, shooting is not an approved, reasonable, or reliable method of animal control. In fact, The 2000 Report of the AVMA [American Veterinary Medical Association] Panel on Euthanasia—the veterinary medical authority on euthanasia—states, "[G]unshot should not be used for routine euthanasia of animals in animal control situations." This dangerous method often fails to achieve instantaneous unconsciousness; animals can be injured by initial gunshots and suffer tremendously before dying, as seems to be happening in St. Bernard Parish. Gunshot is also categorized as an inhumane method of killing in The Humane Society of the United States' "General Statement Regarding Euthanasia Methods for Dogs and Cats."

This horror for animals, which is but the latest of many to be seen in Katrina's wake, underscores the urgent need for you to call on those in charge, today, to end immediately their callous policies toward animals suffering and to make the plight of animals affected by these disasters a part of planned investigations and hearings.

September 9, 2005, 10 a.m.: Ask President Bush, Senate Committee to Make Plans for Animals Affected by Future Disasters Part of Their Investigations

September 8, 2005, 6 p.m.: Distraught Couple Reunited With Forcibly Abandoned Animals; Officials Continue Heavy-Handed Evacuations of Vulnerable Animal Guardians

September 8, 2005, 11 a.m.: Proceeds From Auction to Support Animal Emergency Fund

September 7, 2005, 9 p.m.: Americans Urged to Tell New Orleans Officials to Allow Animals to Be Evacuated

September 7, 2005, 9 a.m.: PETA Dispatches Rescue Team; Rue McClanahan Asks for Compassion for Katrina's Animal Victims

September 6, 2005, 5:30 p.m.: PETA Asks Lt. Gen. Honore to Allow Companion-Animal Rescues

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
From the BestFriends website: Best Friends

LA Wildlife and Fisheries NOT shooting dogs

September 9, 2005 : 2:57 PM ET

Despite rumors, officials at LA Wildlife and Fisheries says they are not killing animals.

This morning we heard from one our Best Friends team members in New Orleans that the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries department was going to begin shooting and killing animals in Orleans Parish and not allowing animal rescue groups to enter the area.

After a call to the Louisiana Governor’s office and Wildlife and Fisheries, we can officially report that this is a rumor.

Colonel Wenton Vidrine, Chief of Law Enforcement at Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries said that his people are involved with search and rescue. He said they are not and will not be killing peoples’ pets.

“And I’d better not catch any one of my people shooting animals,” he continued. “If they did, they wouldn’t have our blessing and would have to face me for it.”

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by Sylphide and Shrek's Mom@Sep 9 2005, 06:35 PM
From the BestFriends website:  Best Friends

LA Wildlife and Fisheries NOT shooting dogs

September 9, 2005 : 2:57 PM ET

Despite rumors, officials at LA Wildlife and Fisheries says they are not killing animals.

This morning we heard from one our Best Friends team members in New Orleans that the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries department was going to begin shooting and killing animals in Orleans Parish and not allowing animal rescue groups to enter the area.

After a call to the Louisiana Governor’s office and Wildlife and Fisheries, we can officially report that this is a rumor.

Colonel Wenton Vidrine, Chief of Law Enforcement at Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries said that his people are involved with search and rescue. He said they are not and will not be killing peoples’ pets.

“And I’d better not catch any one of my people shooting animals,” he continued. “If they did, they wouldn’t have our blessing and would have to face me for it.”
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98143
[/QUOTE]

Thank god!!!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Correction: Another point of view, also from Best Friends site. see his next to final paragraph:

September 9, 2005 : 1:14 PM ET

From Paul Berry: We had two teams out on boats on Thursday. Troy Snow has written about his crew in an earlier posting. Ours was similar, so I’ll keep this brief.
Our team was me and Dr. Debbie Rykoff DVM. Also aboard and helping out was a crew from the Salt Lake Tribune. Leah Hogsten took photos for the Trib and gave these to us. (Thanks, Leah.)

The thing I want to say is simply that there are thousands upon thousands of animals stuck out here, on car roofs, on porches, cats on roofs of houses. We saw no other animal rescue orgs anywhere. I know they’re all doing good work on the peripheries … but, oh man … you see and hear these fluff pieces on TV of people being reunited with their pets, and you look around out here on the boats at this vast, endless wasteland of toxic water and animals hanging on, 11 days after the hurricane, and their time is running out.

The only other boat we saw yesterday was an airboat from Fish & Game. They were scouting the ground behind. Rumors are they’re beginning to shoot the animals today. I believe these stories are now true. That’s what’s going to be happening.

These animals only have days at most, and are clinging to life. They are the forgotten ones. They’re emaciated, starved, dehydrated. Literally “water water everywhere and not a drop to drink.” Dr. Debbie revives them in the boat as they start to lose consciousness. Gives them fluids. All those we took yesterday have survived.

Keep us in your prayers,

Paul.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I haven't been posting here much, but have been watching all updates on aspca, hsus, best friends and the noah's wish websites, plus reading other news related to animal rescue in the aftermath of the hurricane. I've been seeing conflicting reports about those shootings - let's hope they are just a rumor.

I've also been seeing conflicting reports about whether or not Snowball has been found and reunited with his owner. I'll believe it when I see photos and videos of Snowball with his or her owner - but even then, wouldn't be surprised to find out that it's a PR staging with a fake Snowball due to the PR nightmare the Snowball incident has caused government agencies (and rightfully so = let's hope the tragic treatment of people and their pets initiate some serious civil action, legislation and a change in national policies).

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is just too awful.

I feel so sad for the animals stranded on top of the houses with no one around to help them

God please help them.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I just got this from one of my rescue sites:

>National Geographic is reporting that authorities are not shooting dogs
>in New Orleans. Not sure if an HSUS rescue worker is authoritative
>enough to make this statement, but it would be a lot better news than
>the earlier reports. Please cross-post far and wide.
>
>"Renee Bafalis, an HSUS rescue worker in New Orleans..."
>
>Still, a prevalent rumor that police have been authorized to shoot stray
>dogs that may be feral is completely untrue, Bafalis says.
>
>"The police, National Guard, firefighters—everyone out here cares about
>the animals as much as we do," she said. "They go out of their way to
>help us. Just today a police officer told us about two rottweilers and a
>German shepherd in an evacuated building."
>
>This is the second page of the story where the comment was:
>http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/09/0909_050909_katrina_petrescue_2.html
>

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Here's a recent update on the shootings. Apparently, it was local police in St. Bernard's Parish. Here's the report from the Best Friends site (http://bestfriends.org/:

Who is shooting dogs?

September 9, 2005 : 10:06 PM ET

Reports center around actions of police in St. Bernard Parish
Rumors have abounded over the past few days that police and the military are shooting dogs in New Orleans – dogs roaming the streets, and even people’s pets in front of their owner’s eyes.

However, military officials and the state Wildlife and Fisheries Department deny they are playing any role in shooting people’s pets. In fact, the military announced Friday it will begin to help with animal evacuations, and there has been video footage of soldiers providing animals with food until they can be rescued.

So, who is shooting pets?

Most of the news reports seem to point to local New Orleans authorities, in particular the police in St. Bernard Parish. St. Bernard is one of the areas hardest hit by Katrina -- and one of the areas where Best Friends is currently conducting boat rescues. (See complete story under Best Friends Activities.)

Video shot by the Dallas Morning News includes footage of members of the National Guard and Louisiana State Police helping the animals they encounter, offering them compassion and kindness along with food and water.

However, the video also includes evidence of animals being shot, and an interview with Sgt. Mike Minton of the St. Bernard Parish Sheriff’s office. Minton admits he has been shooting dogs, and says it is for their own good. When asked if this is a difficult job, Minton merely shrugs. (See the full video at: http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/photograph.../straydogs.html. Warning: footage is graphic.) Other stories have indicated that the local authorities in St. Bernard Parish are shooting animals.

A report from the Cox news service details the forced evacuation of residents of St. Bernard. It includes an interview with Marie Miller, who was forced to evacuate by the police of St. Bernard Parish -- after the police shot her two mixed pit bulls while Miller was in the next room.

"They shot our dogs!" Miller, a 54-year-old housewife, said of her mixed pit bulls, Angel and Hooch. She had gone inside to collect clothes and personal papers when she heard it.

"Boom! Boom!" Miller said. "Hooch came in and had blood all over him."

(See complete article at http://www.ajc.com/search/content/shared/n...INA_RESCUE.html. Registration required.)

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
:eek: WTH. That is absolutely sickening. I'm in tears.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I just got this email from someone I have a lot of respect for, so I would say there is truth in what is written.

I was in attendance at the Suzanne Clothier seminar this weekend in
Greenville, SC and after lunch today Suzanne reported that she had just been on the
phone with one of her vets who had gone out to help with the animals in New
Orleans. What her vet told her is that there are vets and volunteers out there
ready to help the animals, with cages, food, foster homes lined up, but the Humane
Society of the United States is opting to euthanize the animals instead.
Suzanne's vet reported that upwards of 150 animals PER HOUR are being euthanized.

The vet reported that the group Noah's Wish is doing what they can to help
save the animals they are able to get.

The vets who are there to volunteer their time and money to help the animals
are outraged. They are there to help and all they are being asked to do by the
HSUS is load euthanasia syringes.

My donation went out to Noah's Wish last week. Let's hope they can do
something to avoid any more animals losing their lives to mass animal genocide.

Jane Fink
Greyfaire Kennel
Anderson, South Carolina
www.westiewisdom.com
www.westielovers.com/arf4westies

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I find it outrageous that all these poor animals don't stand a chance at being reunited with their owners, it is very sad.
I did hear too on Fox that a lot of the animals that have been left to fend for themselves have been swimming in and drinking the polluted water and some are so sick that there is no hope of them recovering, so I guess euthenasia is probably the kindest thing to end their suffering.
What I don't like is simply killing all the animals as a solution or quick fix to removing them from the area, that is discusting and cruel for their poor owners who had no choice but to leave.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts