Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you recall my question about spray and telling you about me finding poo-poo in the morning. It was a total mystery because I never saw him do it, nor did I have a clue when he could be doing it! (I do keep a good eye on him.) So, for the past 2 nights, I made a point to check that area prior to putting Mugsy to bed in his crate. Each night, I found no poo-poo, but found it in the morning before Mugsy was even out of his crate. I realized it was Max..our cat! He's 5 years old and I didn't even think of it being him! (I did wonder why Mugsy's poop looked different than what he does outside..DUH!) Anyway, Max's liter box was moved to a new spot the other day and I think that's why he started that. POOR MUGSY! I was thinking it was him. Fortunately, since I never saw him doing it, I didn't correct him for it. I wanted to catch him in the act. NO WONDER I COULD NEVER CATCH HIM! And since that wasn't him, I can proudly say for sure that Mugsy, at 8 mos. is totally potty trained
NOW! What to do about the cat?! I guess I'll start with the obvious and move the liter box back to where it was!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Ha ha...good detective work!

Hope you can fix the problem....what is it with these particular kitties?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by tlunn@May 19 2005, 09:36 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63452
[/QUOTE]

THANKS Tlunn...I do not know what it is with these kitties either! I do not like it at all that he goes out of his liter box. Sometimes he goes #1 out of it too, but NEVER had he poo-pooed out of it! I asked my vet about the peeing, but not much has worked to correct it. Would you believe (hang on now) that my vet said that the reason for the majority of cats being put to sleep is because they go out of the box?! I couldn't believe that. I notice you have cats. Do you have any suggestions or know what may work to make him stop? (
Make him stop!!) Part of the problem there too is that I do not see him do it!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by The Nanny+May 19 2005, 11:39 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@May 19 2005, 09:36 AM

THANKS Tlunn...I do not know what it is with these kitties either! I do not like it at all that he goes out of his liter box. Sometimes he goes #1 out of it too, but NEVER had he poo-pooed out of it! I asked my vet about the peeing, but not much has worked to correct it. Would you believe (hang on now) that my vet said that the reason for the majority of cats being put to sleep is because they go out of the box?! I couldn't believe that. I notice you have cats. Do you have any suggestions or know what may work to make him stop? (
Make him stop!!) Part of the problem there too is that I do not see him do it!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63481
[/B][/QUOTE]

I have had a thread on here before...my Spencer goes #1 outside the box often now, and occasionally #2. I can't find a solution. I reduced it by buying new litter boxes. I covered his favorite areas in wee pads to keep it from ruining the carpet any further...My vet has run all kinds of tests and can't find anything wrong with him. We put him on behavioral meds, but that didn't seem to make much difference, so I quit those too.

I do believe that it is the reason many put them to sleep and/or give them to shelters. I have heard the same thing, and I believe it...there is nothing much worse than cat urine..except maybe SKUNK!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by tlunn+May 19 2005, 12:05 PM-->
Originally posted by The [email protected] 19 2005, 11:39 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@May 19 2005, 09:36 AM

Sorry to hear that you have the same problem! I'd love to know how to solve it. If I find a solution, I'll let you know. I know you have tried just about everything....but maybe there's something!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hi! There was a time about a year ago when our one cat who had been successfully using the litter box with NO accidents started leaving us many surprises in our living room. Well come to find out we had changed her litter a couple days before and she apparently hated the new litter and refused to go in it. So maybe you could change the type of litter until you find a type that your cat likes and will go in. Also, I dont remember if you said you did this already, but you could put a couple more litter boxes. We have one upstairs and one downstairs for our two cats and everything seems to be working out fine with them. Hope it helps! ~Lori

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'm sorry I dont think I can offer much help but I do have a funny cat potty story. My Sr year in HS I lived with my bestfriend and she had this old cat named lucy. she was about 9 or so and all of the sudden we would notice poop right next to the litter box not in it but she would pee pee in it fine. We didnt know what was going on. Then one day we caught her she would put her front feet in the box and her bottom would be outside of the box and she would go potty. It was the weirdest thing. We never found out why she started doing that.
I just thought I would share my weird story. Sorry I couldnt be of more assistance both of our cats go in there boxes. We have two cats and two boxes maybe thats why?

Good Luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts