Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Casper has a horrible mat on his ear. Worse than any he's ever had. I don't know how I couldn't have noticed! I think I can cut some of it out, but a large part of it is right on the skin. Anybody know a good trick for getting mats out? I don't want to hurt him.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Nexus Keraphix. It's not cheap but it works. Wet the mat. Load it up with the conditioner and message it in with your fingers. Slowly start to separate the mat(also with your fingers). When you've seperated it enough you should be able to finish it up with a wide metal comb. It's never failed me.

Good luck

J

·
0 Posts
Kelly - I went on your website. Adorable! I prefer the step in harness. Are any of your harnesses the step in kind?

·
Registered
939 Posts
LoveMaltese6820

Most any conditioner will work. But I would try it dry first adding conditioner if it just isen't working dry. Work carefully from the bottom of the mat toward the skin. You can use a scissor to cut into the mat a little at a time and then comb gently just a little at a time. This will take some time so do it when casper is quite worn out. I have had this happen on Tiki and if I work gently enough he will fall asleep while I work.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Judi

·
Registered
489 Posts
Originally posted by jami@Aug 22 2004, 03:45 PM
Kelly - I went on your website.  Adorable!  I prefer the step in harness.  Are any of your harnesses the step in kind?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=7361
[/QUOTE]
I believe they're all the step in kind. They buckle at the top. You can lay them flat , stand the dog over it and lift up and snap. Is that what you mean? Also thank you for visiting my site.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i just shave out the mats. especially if they're really bad and close to the skin. you know? make sure that you arent hurting casper. if you see him cry or give ANY sign that he has pain, please just cut it out or shave it out. i used to put sprite and ellie through discomfort...and it just sucks for them, you know? good luck with untangling caspers mat.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi does not like me to try to work the mats out. I did this once and after an hour Lexi was mad, I was mad and the mat was still there. So now I just cut the mat out. It is not worth both of us getting all worked up. It is only hair so it will grow back. Since Lexi is kept in a puppy cut you don't really notice it.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Believe it or not, the thing that has helped me the most with removing mats has been a plain old man's comb. I actually "borrowed" it from my husband :ph34r: and it works great for working the mats out. It does take a while and a lot of patience but I haven't come across anything else that works as good and I don't have to worry about the bristles breaking off or anything like that. I will have to try that conditioner adorableaccentsdogbows.com recommended, anything that makes getting those boogers out will be great.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i know that when ellie would bite sprites hair....or how my mom rubs sprites head and neck gives her mats. im sure theres other ways. i guess bathing without brushing. or getting wet without brushing.
its too stressful!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, the matts gone! He was really good too, like he knew I was trying to help him. No squirming or moving! I had to cut most of it out, but I brushed a little out. I bet he feels better!

I wish I could have shaved it out, but Casper has really fine hair, and if you shave him he looks bald!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts